Notices

Fat (I mean, Fast) food and booze.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Fat (I mean, Fast) food and booze.

Yet again trying sobriety (10 days going on 11 [I hope]). Had a really bad day today even though nothing disastrous happened and the feelings of needing a drinking were going on endless hours. I sat at home after work and decided to go buy McDonald's Big Macs (I guess I wanted drunk food because that stuff is absolutely terrible when you're sober) and a bottle of McMasters (hey, I just noticed the "Mc" theme).

Anyways, I came home and put the bottle aside and ate the food. I kept telling myself to put off drinking. One hour turned into two without having a drink, so I decided to phone my place of work and call off for the next day. Almost immediately after hanging up the phone, my incredibly strong urge to drink myself into oblivion practically vanished. I really hate my job. Really...hate...my...job. It makes me feel like a worthless piece of turd. Anyone else who can relate? Any coping strategies I can try? The more humorous the better. I'm the kind of person who walks away from negative situations whenever possible, but I can't do that while at work or I'll get fired. Please don't tell me to quit (I'd love too!). I have to have this kind of job for a little while longer because I don't have any other options at the moment.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your sober time...

Drunk food? For me it was Chinese
you could close the bar ..taxi to Chinatown
and stay till dawn
I don't care for it sober.....
Old 08-07-2008, 08:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I didn't eat when I was out drinking, I was trying to offset the calories. (eyeroll).

Good job on avoiding the drinking. Maybe window shopping for a new job will make you feel better, even if you can't apply for them, it's like shopping for clothes you can't afford, sometimes it's just nice to look.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I have always ate alot..so no help there.
Oh But the job thing is so familiar to me.
I have always worked crappy jobs. Especially when I knew I was capable of more.
I try to really humble myself in those positions.
At least I am working..Some people cant work...So I try to think of myself as one of the lucky ones.
I truely believe working jobs like that are verey grounding. Especially in recovery. Early recovery.
I know its alot better than running the friggin streets being a complete loser.
I know its hard. But work one thing at a time. Baby steps.
Just dont drink.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What do you do for a living and why do you hate it so much? Why do you not have any options? Contrary to what you hear on the news every day, there are tons of jobs out there.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can totally understand about the job thing.

I actually LIKED my job, but I wait tables, my new manager changed my hours and it's when no one is in the restaurant, so no tips.

I am looking for another job, but having a huge problem. I was an RN for 12 years...lost that to addiction. I have a felony on my record...thanks to addiction. Other restaurants are hurting for money and not hiring. I brought this all on myself, and it am doing what I can (the felony is actually a mistake, and a lawyer is working on getting it straightened out).

So, I do like Chi says...I remember that I am lucky I HAVE a job. I have good insurance, and the trust of my managers. I have been through a lot of struggles in my clean time (17 months tomorrow) and I have always landed on my feet...because I stay clean, keep putting one foot in front of the other, and come here when I need to vent or ask for advice. I have to remember HP has a plan for me, so I just have to do my part.

Good for you for not drinking. It definitely won't help anything, and will probably make matters worse. I thought about using last week (after a really bad night at work) but talked myself out of it. I refuse to let any job, person, or situation have that much control over me. It's only 8 hours out of my day. It has paid my bills so far, and for that I'm grateful.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 08-08-2008, 03:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

You may find like I did myself that your job isn't as bad as you think it is when you face it sober.

By sober I mean, free from drink, not, just not being drunk.

Now I don't spend my days feeling ill, trying to control the shakes and counting down the hours until I finish work and can drink, I find that work is much easier to cope with.

I also enjoy the time away from work better as I don't lose it all to oblivion.

It took a few weeks to get into this way of thinking though.