Notices

Sound familiar to anyone else?

Old 08-07-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sound familiar to anyone else?

The definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
-Albert Einstein

Based on this definition I think I'm officially insane!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can totally relate... I kept doing the same thing over and over again, walking (uhmm crawling) in circles. Not only regarding addiction. Thank god for change! On that note, I like another quote from Einstein: "I am convinced that God does not throw dice". I do believe in that.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am right there with you! Why do I continue to drink when nothing ever changes. I end up feeling like crap about myself but tomorrow comes and it all starts over. Ugggggh
Old 08-07-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The definition of insanity was one thing the program taught me, and I was doing it - over and over and over again.

A few of my favorite sayings now are "If nothing changes, nothing changes...", and, "If you keep doing what you are doing, you usually keep getting what you are getting...".
Old 08-07-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it's not only that i continue to drink, but that i keep using the same tools to try to get sober and it's just not working.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jen, if that's the case, remember that you're always free to choose. If you choose a Philips screwdriver to tighten a flat top screw, chances are you'll bust it. So why don't you try different tools if the current ones aren't doing the job?

Or maybe you're just turning your wrist anti-clockwise when you need to do the opposite. Sometimes it's not the tools as much as how they are applied. Do you think you're working your program correctly?
Old 08-07-2008, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i always seem to think i can do this alone - that my willpower is great enough, and it's obviously not. i don't have a program
Old 08-07-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

When I look back at how I was during those drinking years, I was definitely insane. My thinking was insane.

Now, I think I'm sane.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yup, I spent a lot of time thinking the same way Jen. But I finally realized that, though some people can do it alone, most cannot. In any case, reaching out is always a good idea. There are plenty of resources right here on SR (AA, secular, spirituality etc). Why not choose a program that you feel might fit you?

Good luck, keep posting
Old 08-07-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JPat View Post
i always seem to think i can do this alone - that my willpower is great enough, and it's obviously not. i don't have a program
Yeah, that little thing called willpower. It doesn't work for me either. I'm all about lists and plans - can you put together an action plan that will put you on the path to sobriety? Are you considering AA?
Old 08-07-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Jen! Good to see you back. :ghug3
Old 08-07-2008, 10:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Yeah I operated for many years on my willpower and never could find a solution to quit drinking.

I agree with what Matt shared, in recovery we've got a box full of tools to use, how about choosing some that will work for you?

AA works for me, over the years I've added CoDA, service work, this site, and the 12 Steps to my toolkit. So far they've served me well as long as I continue to use them on a daily basis.

There's no need to suffer, I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My best thinking darned near killed me!

That's why each day I make a conscious choice to be active in my recovery, listen to others who have been where I have been, and reach out to those in need so that I may pass on what has been so freely given to me
Old 08-07-2008, 10:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i've done AA before and didn't really like it. i'm considering it again though because i'm desperate - but what else is out there? i need something more than SR and willpower. i love all you guys and appreciate your support and understanding, but at the end of the day i'm accountable to myself and i need some type of system in place to help me then.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Wow, I have been using that definition of insanity for years! I had no idea that was from Albert Einstein! Cool!

Willpower? Um, yeah no. Time to read the 3rd Step. Start at page 62 in the BB!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Here's some other recovery programs to consider http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...cular-web.html

I didn't really care for AA at first either, but I felt like it was a matter of life or death to be there. That was a healthy fear for me to have. It took almost 6 months of daily meetings before I felt comfortable. Now AA is like a home to me, it's members are my family.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i've done AA before and didn't really like it.
Just a few thoughts on that statement. I don't like paying my monthly bills. I'd really love to have some money just to blow, but well, that's part of my personal accountability in life.

I don't like taking out the trash every Thursday evening. However, if I don't take it out, there's another week of it piling up, it stinks, and it's gross!

I don't like the fact I will have to have some serious self-discipline this month when I start college classes for a double degree. It's all online, and that means no physical schedule to meet for classes, no instructor in front of me. But if I practice self-discipline, I will pass those classes and achieve that goal I have set for myself.

I didn't like sitting in AA at first either. But you know what? It saved my ass, along with a loving God, and the efforts I have made in my recovery.

For me, once I really started to get some emotional maturity in recovery, I realized some important things. Life isn't fair all the time. People will let you down. You will have to do things you don't like to do if you want to achieve good things in your life.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks Freedom - that is the best analogy of AA i think i've heard, and you're right. i don't HAVE to like it - but it can still help.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

yes....

i sometimes don't like it (AA), but it's the most available and consistent support that I've found.

I'm going to go to my first meeting in a while tonight. I'm going to talk to someone before and after the meeting
Old 08-07-2008, 11:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

it's not only that i continue to drink, but that i keep using the same tools to try to get sober and it's just not working.
Or, not being harsh here, you haven't hit your bottom yet. We do those same things over and over as long as the payoff-in our mind-is greater than the cost. God knows I've did it/do it myself.