Notices

My plan of attack

Old 08-06-2008, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My plan of attack

This may not be successful but this is how I'm planning it. I've ordered a 60 quid food order which should see me through most of the month, I've invested the rest of my money in a poker site (well at least there is a chance of winning there, whereas I always lose buying a bottle of vodka a day), I have no pressing responsiblities for at least a month or two.

I'm open to all suggestions, I'm trying to find a way to quit. The trouble is i live with someone who is addicted to smoking...so double effort trying to give up, I thought if I got rid of all my money it would help. Seriously, anything that works would help. The only practical thing I've found to avoid extreme cravings is to do something totally new, anything from learning about growing plants to sorting out my computer.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm bumping this....seems to have gotten lost on you!

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey sam, welcome!

have you thought about going to aa or another support group? i am not an alcoholic (the mom of one) but i have met a lot of folks in recovery, and most say isolating is not an easy way to quit.

i also gotta be honest and say i can't think getting involved in online gambling is such a good idea - maybe you are setting yourself up to go from one addiction to another?

keep reaching out! recovery is possible!

hugs, k
Old 08-07-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard!

I gotta agree with parentrecovers, how about investing your money in new activities that get you out of the house doing new things away from the negative influence of your roommates smoking? You have the right idea as I have found my way to recovery much easier on days where I keep busy and do things that are outside of my 'comfort zone'.

I hope you stick to it and fight your addiction one day at a time!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Keep us posted on how that plan works out, Sam.

Keep coming back.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well at least your trying something different. However the online poker money can go real quick and then what.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep us in the loop, Sam, and let us know how you are doing. We do care.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I hope it works for you.
But to me that would be replacing one habit with another.
I am not saying that is or will happen to you.
If it works thats all that matters.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes I think I was not being clear, I meant I was trying to get rid of what little money I have in favour of food warmth security etc. I was talking at most about sixty dollars in poker, and yes gamble isn't advisable to any one in a vulnerable or bad state.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I managed about two days sorry. I'd like to ask a question if any one knows...freaky but when I tried to sleep I heard songs almost like if you'd hear them on the radio in my head. When I closed my eyes I got all sorts of strage images. Sorry I bought a bottle of vodka today and I feel pretty good after a lot of anxiety. Is this just dementia tremens or whatever or am I drinking to mask some illness...I'm not too worried, I've heard there are all sorts of medication for this if it's worse. I mean is this bad enough to go to the doctors, or just rubbish ill have to go through after years of excess?
Old 08-10-2008, 05:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum Sam,

That sounds like a good plan for awhile. I've done those types of things in my life, try to isolate myself from alcohol and keep myself busy doing other things. It worked for a spell but I'd soon enough find myself back where I started.

I've made some new friends in a recovery program, we do things together from time to time and kind of help each other through the rough patches. These folks seem content helping me and others.

I don't have to hide from my alcoholism, I've learned to accept it and confront it. I've learned that being alcoholic isn't so bad really....IF I DON'T DRINK!!

My advice would be to take what money you have and invest it in reaching out to other recovering alcoholics....that's a gamble that will pay off in the long run. If you really want to give up the sauce I guarantee it will pay off.

Peace to you Sam
Old 08-10-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sam- You can try again. Maybe you should see a doctor before you try it again. If you are truthful with the doc, he might give you some meds or advice. The first couple of days are always rough but you have to tough them out. You can do it.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Sam, I posted above, "Keep us posted on how that plan works out, Sam.", because more often than not the plans we come up with don't work out optimally.

Please check out NA and/or AA, a 12 step program, and possibly medical professionals.

The disease of alcoholism / addiction can be extremely overpowering. We can 'avoid' it by doing other things, but at some point real life begins again, and the disease pounces.

Keep coming back, Sam.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Sam...
Checking with your doctor is a wise move
especially because of the long term drinking.

When I de toxed from alcohol...I too had music
and voices in my head. Very disconcerting ...

For some of our experiences with de toxing
and for some informational sites click here...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I do hope you can find your way into sobriety...Recovery Rocks!
Old 08-10-2008, 11:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I kept hearing grumbling and strangely enough someone walking through my house and speaking in a really high pitched voice. It actually scared the hell out of me (even though I knew what it was) and still gives me the creeps just thinking about it. If I ever go back out there and drink like that again (hope I won't) I will not try to detox alone. Thinking of you tonight.............
Old 08-11-2008, 01:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sam, I can't begin to describe how many plans I came up with during the last 30 years to put barriars between myself and alcohol. I also tried the "something new" approach many, many times. And, I always tried these methods in isolation. Alone.

If you don't feel ready to try AA, try to find some other means of support: a close friend you can talk to about this.

I started thinking seriously of a life of permanent sobriety after I joined SR last summer. I started to try and put that initiative into action 5 months ago by making a doctor appointment. I wanted to know what my liver levels were. It got the ball rolling. Being able to talk to a doctor about it gave me the little bit of courage I needed to call up a rehab center. That gave me the little bit of courage I needed to go to my first AA meeting. It was a series of small steps.
Every journey starts with the first step. Or, more correctly, every day is still a series of small steps for me. And, they are all rewarding.
Keep coming back!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Originally Posted by SamDamn View Post
I managed about two days sorry. I'd like to ask a question if any one knows...freaky but when I tried to sleep I heard songs almost like if you'd hear them on the radio in my head. When I closed my eyes I got all sorts of strage images. Sorry I bought a bottle of vodka today and I feel pretty good after a lot of anxiety. Is this just dementia tremens or whatever or am I drinking to mask some illness...I'm not too worried, I've heard there are all sorts of medication for this if it's worse. I mean is this bad enough to go to the doctors, or just rubbish ill have to go through after years of excess?
hey sam, reach out to a doctor if you can. hugs, k
Old 08-11-2008, 07:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well day 3 here and feeling pretty good. Went to sleep late but kept hearing (in my head) like continuous thunder. Was rather pleasant really as it reminded me of my meditation days. Actually made me smile.

But yeah alcohol supresses the dreaming and thinking mechanisms of the brain. As the lid starts to come off in detox it can open a flood of dreaming etc as those suppressed neuro-transmitters start to kick in. Normal. Your brain probably hasn't had the chance for normal operation for a while.

See your doc if you can and may be able to help you through those first 4 days or so (not to mention keep you safer).

But hang in there and keep trying. Most of us have had the same types of experiences. Not pleasant but it passes...kind of like the flu.

Check out the threads on what to expect in detox on this board, helped me a lot and knowledge will help quell the anxiety.

It's under the Alcoholism forum ....Quitting and what to expect, what we did.