Desperation

Old 08-06-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Desperation

Today's Reading from Nar-Anon's Sharing Experience, Strength & Hope

August 6

DESPERATION

I remember when I ran around doing crazy things in a desperate attempt to change the addicts in my life, and hoping to get rid of this disease called addiction. I called it concern, I called it helping; I called it necessary, and I did it with the best of intentions and in the name of love. But the disease called it enabling and it would not go away. I can look back now and see my mistakes and I am grateful that I can see my growth.

When I come to Nar-Anon, I listen; I open my mind and eventually my heart. The program helps me to make decisions that are best for me. I listen, I share, I learn, and I accept. Finally, I surrender. I cling to the slogans, the literature and the sharing of the other members. I form a bond with my family at Nar-Anon, the people I meet and come to love. Slowly, I become stronger, I begin to change and grow. Just like the addicts, I am ready and willing in my own time.

Thought for Today: Life is precious. I want to make every day count and not let mistakes become excuses. I can share now because I have been there. I know the pain; I know what it is like to have a broken heart. When I look back, that pain is not as strong. I remember the good times. I have the memory of the pain, but not the pain itself.

“My advice is: Go outside . . . enjoy nature and the sunshine, and try to recapture the happiness in yourself and in God. Think of all the beauty that is still left in you and around you and be happy.”~Anne Frank