Notices

Cross Addictions

Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cross Addictions

Can we discuss that? There must be others here who are have a couple addiction partners like I do. I'm having some trouble sleeping tonight after trying to quit my 3-4 a day norco addiction. Yes, I use them for pain but I'm also addicted to the little suckers as I really got to see when cutting them out a couple days ago. I guess I always thought it was a bad hangover (usually drink more heavily when I try cutting them out of my life). I'm just not sure I can cut all my bad habits at once and would love opinions or others experiences with this. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2008, 04:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of people, me included, have addictive personalities. I think for some people, stopping everything at once might be very freeing, but for others stopping things one at a time would work better. Maybe you can give yourself a timeline of what you hope to accomplish.

I tend to fall into routines and habits quickly and that makes me vulnerable to addiction.

However, alcohol is my downfall...well except for Rolo McFlurries, which I discovered a couple of months ago.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think that's one of the reasons Narcotics Anonymous was born.

I know that once I made the decision not to use alcohol my 'addict' mind began considering other avenues for intoxication (drugs, meds, etc.).
Old 08-06-2008, 05:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I quit pot and alcohol at the same time. Alcohol was the bigger problem but I was using pot almost every day as a mood stabilizer, so I needed to stop my substance abuse altogether. I also think I would have ended up smoking more pot to compensate, so the addictive personality would still be there.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

boston luv, I feel your pain. I too am in the same boat, this is my second post here and only a 2 days off of vicodin. Body hurts, depressed-hard to focus. I wish you the best with it (I am a boxer luvr)
Old 08-06-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

aquasport13...Welcome!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aquasport13 View Post
boston luv, I feel your pain. I too am in the same boat, this is my second post here and only a 2 days off of vicodin. Body hurts, depressed-hard to focus. I wish you the best with it (I am a boxer luvr)

Hey aquasport - I love boxers too. Their faces are just as cute as the bostons in my book. Well, I took something this morning because I don't like not feeling good right now. I got really down last night about feeling yucky. Probably because my first week off alcohol I felt like crap and no sleep, etc. I just feel it's too soon psychologically to go through a withdrawal again. But I'll be cheering you on! And checking your posts and getting up the nerve to try this again. I'm very new at flexing my NO muscle. I'll get this down in time. I feel hopeful about that!:
Old 08-06-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

bostonluv.....
....I think I can be addicted to more
of whatever makes me feel good.
Especially true about my recovery.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi boston, I definitely think that, if possible, it's better to take it slow. Though a lot of people are able to successfully quit everything at once, I'm more of a one thing at a time kind of guy. Actually, it was my pdoc who talked me out of the sweeping grand gesture I had planned - quitting booze, cigs and my prescribed meds on the same day. She was kind enough ( ) to point out my black or white thinking. Well, I agree with her now. I'm off booze, and I'll tackle the cigarettes whenever it feels right, hopefully soon.
However, painkiller addiction is not the same as smoking, and it can be tough to handle. Have you talked to a doc?

Good luck!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mattcake79 View Post
Hi boston, I definitely think that, if possible, it's better to take it slow. Though a lot of people are able to successfully quit everything at once, I'm more of a one thing at a time kind of guy. Actually, it was my pdoc who talked me out of the sweeping grand gesture I had planned - quitting booze, cigs and my prescribed meds on the same day. She was kind enough ( ) to point out my black or white thinking. Well, I agree with her now. I'm off booze, and I'll tackle the cigarettes whenever it feels right, hopefully soon.
However, painkiller addiction is not the same as smoking, and it can be tough to handle. Have you talked to a doc?

Good luck!
Thanks Matt. I agree with you. It's like losing weight. You don't cut back to 600 calories a day, run 5 miles and get 10 hours sleep in one fatal swoop because guess what happens? Yep. You quit and go back to McDonalds every night. I was suppossed to quit smoking this week with a co-worker but I just told her I wasn't ready yet. One thing at a time. I am ready to start working on getting rid of the vicodins though. They don't rule my life and aren't hurting anything in my life. I'd just like to be substance free eventually. No reason to talk to a doc though.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Boston, I can definitely relate to wanting to be substance free If you feel you can do it, all the more power to you!! Just try to pace yourself if at all possible. Good luck!