Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

now that I am sober....lots of things and people I love are really annoying

Notices

Old 08-05-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
letting God take the wheel...

Has anyone else experienced it...I feel like this bright light has shone upon my life and i am not only examining my faults but those of others including my boyfriend of five years...he is driving me crazy...I fear that normalcy and sobriety is going to mean I re arrange everything about my current life
Old 08-05-2008, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

whoa there!
don't you have 3-4 days or something Lou Lou?

this is withdrawal and detox territory - ppl annoy the hell out of you.

And later, when you're trying to make sobriety stick, they'll still annoy the hell out of you

Ride out the annoyances. I think it's important not to make any big life changes until you find out who Sober You really is....and - how ever much we want everything NOW - that takes time
D
Old 08-05-2008, 04:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Recovery is definitely a time of change.

I had to look closely at myself and begin to accept what I saw. I found, that by examining my own issues, I had more compassion for other people in my life. I think I learned to recognize what I could change (myself) and what I could not change (others).
Old 08-05-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

LouLou, I am not sure how long you have been sober but one suggestion is not to make any sudden moves. No, I am joking. But give yourself a couple of months to figure out how you really feel. I know that feeling though, even my kids bugged! But I am getting used to everyone again now that I am sober. And some days I am just irritable....
Old 08-05-2008, 06:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dee is right - the first couple weeks off the booze, people and places and everything will annoy you. Don't worry, it will pass. You have to ride this out and be patient. Things will get better!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I completely understand. In early sobriety I refered to my family as "flies at a picnic".
Old 08-05-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Wow. All of the replies so far are very deep and meaningful.

Congrats to sharing that wisdom.

Seriously.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi again LouLou. Those first few weeks everyone & everything was nerve racking to me. Music, even TV shows I had formerly liked seemed pointless and stupid. I felt like a stranger in my own life & it was frightening how disoriented I was. When we've relied on alcohol as a buffer it's hard to get used to feeling everything and rolling with life's punches without our anesthesia. My nerves were raw and I was jittery and restless - yeah, I was a total mess. I think we're all in agreement - don't be discouraged by how you feel now. You'll go through many phases as you get well. Love, Joanie
Old 08-05-2008, 08:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Very true. it is annoying at first. But my b/f kept being annoying and drunk until at 2 months I dumped him, against my sponsor's advice. Oh well, some changes have to happen sooner than later! But don't do anything drastic the first couple of weeks unless it's an emergency. Your head isn't on straight just yet, sweetie.
KJ
Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I like that flies at a picnic reference. I've felt that way toward my husband a few times already; just lemme alone!| :uzi2:
Old 08-05-2008, 09:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As the others have said this is a very normal part of early recovery.It's supposed to pass but here I am still quite annoyed with just about everyone(kidding, kidding)That's more my personality really-ask anyone here-LOL

It's an emotional rollercoaster.Just ride it out.It does pass.Truly.

Julesxox
Old 08-05-2008, 10:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I found it more annoying when I was getting high.
Nothing worse than being bugged out already and having people mess with you. Nag you...Hawk you. And even more so when your coming down or trying to rest after being up for days. And I find that dealing with my mess that I made while high is really annoying.
But thats just me.

And Dee is so right. First couple days clean. A fly fart would have annoyed me.
Give it time. And humble yourself. Your gonna need it.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That is so much the truth Chi,
It's like "Hey, I'm being good now, why do I have to keep going through all this cr@p?" I guess we'll be a while cleaning up all the messes we made, huh?
But it is better than us making more messes, because you know, sooner or later, we just have to face it all....ugh.
KJ
Old 08-08-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hiya Lou,

I was feeling those same things my first 2 weeks of detox, I was having major mood swings and just felt like no one in my life was right for me anymore. It took some time and I still struggle occasionally but I have to think it may be more my own issues with withdrawal and wanting something that I can look forward to (used to think of my drugs as something to look forward to).

I have had to find a new passion that keeps me focused and remembering whats important in life, being happy & loving and caring for the people that want to be in my life...everyone else can just stuff it!!

Once you start to find yourself and the mood swings lessen things become easier and you can keep on focusing on the present. Don't fear the change!!! You made this commitment to better your life so don't go second guessing yourself now. Find your passion and live for the moment and if things end up changing now its because they weren't right to begin with.

5 years is a strong connection to have with someone and I wouldn't start second guessing it on your 3rd day of your detox. Give it some time focus on your recovery and if things continue to get worse re-evaluate it later. Thats just my opinion of course. I also have a girlfriend of 5 years and I dont think she fully understands my addiction and what it did to me and how hard it is to cope with recovery at times. As mad as I have been with her she has always been supportive and would of seriously regretted if I ended things because of a few bad fights.

Wishing you peace and happiness in your continued recovery!

Bruce
Old 08-08-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I still struggle with "annoyances" on occasion lol It's then I have to look at myself, and try to identify the feeling under the annoyance. Usually it's fear, or something unacceptable to me, and I have to remember that acceptance is the solution to all my problems in sobriety, that, and gratitude.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad I found this thread. I just started feeling aggravated over the past couple days (maybe a few). I'm not usually such an uptight person. I picked a fight in the Women's Only room over something really stupid. Litttle things like how loud someone was talking today at work and how often co-workers were using the printer (who cares?) totally got on my one last nerve. Oh! And all the really bad drivers on the road. I've always made fun of people who get angry over traffic. Seems like a waste of time. And now I'm doing it. I'm annoyed at myself for being annoyed! I hope this part of recovery will pass soon because it's unsettling and making me not like myself. I could drink and feel that way. And now I'm whining. Grr.....
Old 08-09-2008, 02:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

LouLou, dopey slogan time at SR...

"Live and Let Live"

when new, and stil now...

focus on the Live!