Notices

Recently quit drinking but feeling sad

Old 08-05-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recently quit drinking but feeling sad

I quit yesterday after a ridiculous three-day bender at the weekend. I'm so humiliated and embarrassed at my behaviour. So much shame running through me.

I felt so panicky and anxious yesterday. Its improved today but i am staying in bed until tomorrow. I am drinking water and can barely eat due to nausea. I dont want to leave the house

Can I ask for advice, i drank my partners rare alcohol - i dont know where i can find more to replace it. should i just tell him the harsh reality? i thought you could just buy it anywhere. ive been promising to stop for ages but i just do it anyway. he is in asia at the moment so i just lost it a bit.

im surprised he hasnt dumped me and i dont want to be considered a thief. i am more than happy to buy him something of equivalent value or something else entirely. he doesnt like drinking anyway so i thought id wait and ask him if a bottle of alcohol is what he wants or if hed prefer something else.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

It's one of those many messes we make when we are in active addiction. I spent so many hours trying to replace, repair, mend things that I had broken, lost or messed up, I just can't believe it.

My advice - come clean with your partner and then show that you are changing.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Anna, taking steps to quit for good and making the necessary changes to be successful will probably be the best thing you could do.

As for the bottle you drank, the past is past, dont worry about what you cant change. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Agreed. I did something similar, and finally fessed up. I told my wife what I had drank and where I had hid the bottle. I sure feel better about it now, and so does she...

Heavy
Old 08-05-2008, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi SC,

I agree with Anna and Fel. Unfortunately sometimes these situations are necessary so that we can face our behaviour and begin to work on our recovery.

Regarding the expensive bottle... I went through something similar. While house-sitting for my mother a while ago, I ran out of my usual drink of choice. So of course I proceeded to grab this bottle of ridiculously expensive rare champagne (yuck!) from the pantry so that I could continue with my all-out binge. The following day I scoured every wine store in the city to find a replacement, only to find myself drinking the new bottle that night. Same routine the next day. Needless to say, by the time my mother returned a few days later, I'd spent a small fortune on champagne I could not really afford and had absolutely nothing to show for it except for shame and an empty wallet.

Though my champagne-chasing antics were downright silly, I didn't feel ashamed of that. But I did feel very ashamed about not telling her the truth. To this day, she is still unaware of my problem -let's just say that coming clean would do her more harm than good. I still wish I could, though.

Maybe you could consider telling your partner the truth - if he's able to support and understand you, he'll probably be much more concerned about your wellbeing rather than the missing booze. A bottle is replaceable. You, however, are not. I hope you feel better soon
Old 01-02-2009, 09:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Sick Chicken-Its good news to hear that you've decided to quit drinking!I'm Sally
and I'm here for support.You've come to the right place for strength and helpful advice.
I went thru something similar with my 2 adult sons now,so I understand and know it
isin't easy to start,and in the middle of your program at times..but I can tell you that
running your program will get easier..1 day at a time.I hope this helps and I'm here for
you.Drop me a note if you want. *your special to us
Old 01-02-2009, 10:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

This thread is from Aug and unfortunately the OP hasnt been back since this post.