Tradition Eight

Old 08-05-2008, 05:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Tradition Eight

I know most people are not too fond of the traditions - but for me, this is a really good reading about how the Traditions help me recover.
Hope you like the reading & praying your day is blessed with Serenity, Joy & Love,
Rita

Tradition Eight - August 5 from Nar-Anon Sharing Experience, Strength & Hope

"Nar-Anon Twelfth Step work should remain forever non-professional," meant to me that I was not walking into a room with people I had paid to 'fix me'. I was among equals who wanted to help me because they understood what it was like to be in my situation and how to deal with addiction. I had spent a lot of money on plenty of professionals. They had read the right books and gone to the right schools, but they had never been where I was and, as such could never 'fix me'. That is not what I needed so I stayed broken.

When I started going to Nar-Anon meetings, I began to feel whole. The members that support me in meetings may or may not have read the right books or gone to the right schools. Nevertheless, they have lived the horror of another person's addiction. From their sharing of experience, strength and hope, I gain courage and faith. I do not need a degree in communication to lead a meeting, not do I need to be a journalist to write out my story for a Nar-Anon book. A sponsor does not have to have a degree in psychology. We need only to have lived through the problems of addiction and have the desire to share our experience with others with the same problems.

Nar-Anon, as an organization, may require professionals to deal with the business end of the organization. However, those of us who have been in the trenches, whose only compensation is our own recovery must do the Twelfth Step work - carrying the message, being a sponsor, leading meetings and working at various levels of service.

Thought for Today:Today, I will carry the message to others with the help and guidance of my Higher Power.

"Nar-Anon Twelfth Step work should remain forever non-professional, but our service centers may employe special workers."~ Nar-Anon Tradition Eight
Old 08-05-2008, 04:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thanks, Japic05, my thoughts are that the 12 Steps keep us alive and the 12 Traditions keep the program alive. It's all good.

Hugs
Old 08-05-2008, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just love Nar-Anon's new Sharing Experience, Strength & Hope. There are so many readings I relate to and it is like a new gift each day. Thanks so much Rita!
Old 08-05-2008, 10:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What makes you say that people are not fond of the traditions? I have missed that vibe here if that's the case.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

It's a joke with our f2f group (al-anon) On our Monday nite meeting which is a steps & tradition study nite; no one wants to chair when it's tradition time - most usually say they can relate to the steps but don't understand how the traditions can help.

I hardly ever see anyone talk about the traditions or use them to relate to stuff - so it was meant in a little bit of humor -

When I chair a meeting on traditions - usually the first reaction is similiar to my 9 yr old niece when things are going her way "Boring, Boring, Boring" - ha ha ha!!