Notices

Day 2 - but want to drink

Old 07-31-2008, 11:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Day 2 - but want to drink

Hi all, on day two - I didn't think I'd be seriously wanting alcohol this soon! It's Friday, one hour until knock off time (home time/quiting time - not sure if "knock off time" is common slang other than in Australia). Every work phone call is ending with people telling me "I'll see you at Happy Hour". I share my office with one other person who keeps saying "I'm going to the pub for one drink then going home". I'm finding myself thinking - yeah I can do that too. One drink. only one. And it's only day 2 so by starting over tomorrow it's ok. But I know it's not ok, because I don't do "one drink" I do so many that I can't remember getting home. My shoulders feel tense and a my mouth feels funny.

Not sure what the point of this is - just looking for support. Everything in my head is telling me not to go out tonight, but I'm scared that I will. I keep trying to remind myself of the dumb things I do then the other little voice goes "yeah but you'll be ok this time. You'll behave this time". It's only been one day without.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey,

I get it.I'm a Kiwi(try not to hate me even though you KNOW our rugby team is better than yours-LOL)< is kidding.

There's a saying in A.A about triggers-'people, places, things'.We need to be aware of them.I don't do A.A but I do believe this to be true-especially in early recovery.

You can do this.You KNOW that if you went out for drinks tonight it'll end in misery.The first few days of withdrawal suck-I won't lie to you.But the best thing you can do right now is stay home-keep posting here-keep getting these thoughts out of your system.You are worth it-you deserve a better life.That old pattern never made you happy and you know it.you wouldn't be here now otherwise.

I also used to tell myself 'one drink'.What BS.It never was one.I couldn't stop.You know how it goes.Don't give up the day you've won okay?

Hang in there and know you're not alone.This is tough sometimes-but it's worth it.

Julesxox
Old 07-31-2008, 11:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

that voice...

*just have a couple
*you'll be fine tonight
*you deserve to unwind
*you've done two days...you can start again on Monday, no worries

etc etc

there's a million of them. I listened to them - for way way too long.
They're lies. They led me to drinking all day every day and nearly dying.

It sounds like a long way from a Friday night out - but it's really not that far.
I can look back now and see the whole sad descent.

You're obviously here because you're concerned - you can listen and focus on that concern - that true voice.

It doesn't matter what other people do tonight - they either don't have problems or think they don't.

What do you really want to do?

D
Old 07-31-2008, 11:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Day 2?
Good for you!
Heck! I was still sick in bed de toxing
on Days 2 and 3.

Drink a lot of cold water... keep busy and soon it will pass.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The best thing I can do when I really want to drink is play the tape forward. You know, look forward to see how you would feel in the morning?

I allways found the first 3 days the hardest for craves and giving in, so hard in fact that I carried on drinking for nearly two years after I decided to quit.

Just don't drink today and see how you feel tommrow, it will get easier if you keep saying no.

Sax
Old 08-01-2008, 01:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

Yeah, I'm the same,Sax. If I get over that third day hump,then for some reason things become clearer, wonder if it's the same as nicotine,by the 3rd day you've flushed and sweated the booze from your system?

Well done so far,December, show us Whingeing Poms how it's done.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JigOfLife View Post
wonder if it's the same as nicotine,by the 3rd day you've flushed and sweated the booze from your system?
I have often wondered the same thing, I know it takes 72 hours to get rid of the nicotine and then things improve immensely. It seems to be the same for drink with me, but I have never read anywhere that it is, so who knows

Sax
Old 08-01-2008, 04:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm so sorry. I haven't even read these posts. I am so weak andscared. I went out and I drunk. Am drunk. I feel like I've betrayed your trust. I came to this forum seeking help and support and I got it in bucket loads. Then I turned around after one day and threw it in your faces. I'm so ashamed. I hate who I am. How can I be this way. I'm sorry. So so sorry.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You have nothing to feel sorry about Forever... You know, I did what you describe countless times after I signed up to SR. But I kept coming back, and the amazing folk here never gave up on me. Just stick around and keep posting. And never quit trying, you'll find the strength you need within yourself. Definitely not giving up on you Learn from the slip and get back on your feet. That's what counts.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Forever

everyone's been where you are. It's ok.
If this site was only for perfect people...well, it'd be a lonely place LOL.

It's a frightening thing to think of giving up that old friend booze.

It's more frightening still to try and accept that you're different in your relationship to alcohol than most everyone else seems to be.

It takes a lot of steam to make the leap to quitting...sometime it takes a few run ups.

Just do me a favour - tomorrow, look at what everyone's written here. There's a lot of good advice and a lot of support.

It's not contigent on you getting an A first time out of the blocks

Like Matt said - don't quit.
I tried for 15 years to 'get' this...

Keep posting
D
Old 08-01-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

its okay Forever...the problem isnt going to be solved over night, most importing thing is that you keep posting continue trying to quit drinking
Old 08-01-2008, 06:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just don't beat yourself up too badly and don't quit trying! I too had many false starts until my most recent try, 19 days ago. And if I can finally "get it" so can you!

:ghug3
Old 08-01-2008, 07:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It took me years of trying to quit before I actually did.
Don't be ashamed or think you have failed.

We drink until we learn how to be sober

Just start again Amber...
Old 08-01-2008, 07:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Forever - just get back up and start again. Most everyone here has had false starts. Please know that we do not judge you for your slip up.