Notices

I am afraid to stop drinking.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am afraid to stop drinking.

I am a 1-2 bottles of wine drinker every night for about a year now. I am going to stop drinking tonight with the help of my husband. I am so afraid of the side effects being life threatening. Re-hab or what ever its called is not an option for financial reasons so we are doing this together at home. Can anyone that has had an experience similar to the one we are about to encounter give us any advice? Thank you.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Pasturized! Glad you have decided to stop drinking and glad that you joined us. There is information here about detoxing, but I think the consensus will be to see a doctor if possible before you start and head right to an emergency room if necessary. Don't know where you are located but most ER's can not refuse you for financial reasons. I am sorry I don't have any advice for your question....but welcome! Jomey
Old 07-31-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Well, here's what to expect http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Please keep in mind that AA doesn't cost a cent, and like Jomey shared, go to an ER if necessary.

A couple of simple things to remember. Nobody's ever died from not taking another drink. Sobriety is possible, you never have to take another drink after today, and you'll never have to feel this way again.

The only other thing I'd recommend is to follow up your detox with a program of recovery.

Best wishes and prayers going out for you.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on your decision - so glad you came here to share your experience with us. It took me decades to reach the conclusion you've reached, so be proud of yourself. I had a do-it-yourself detox, too - just white knuckled it after seeing a doctor who wouldn't prescribe any medication for me (said to just gradually cut down!). I never looked back & have almost 7 mos. now. Honestly, it wasn't as bad as I anticipated, but it would be good if you could get a doctor's opinion (what Jomey & Astro said...) Love, Joanie
Old 07-31-2008, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pasteurized

We always say it's always a good idea to see a doctor, and it is.

But don't be put off by fear or horror stories - most detoxes aren't nice, but generally they don't kill you - you just feel like it

it's a good step you're taking.

Keep posting
D

theres another detox thread here
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ore-detox.html
Old 07-31-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Good for you! No one here will try to pretend it's easy. It ain't. It sucks. But it sucks less than living the rest of your life as a pickle. I know that for sure. (:

I'm glad you have your husband to help you.

Hang tough. You've got a cheering squad here at SR now! Keep us posted.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...you too can win over alcohol!

Good to see you here with us
Old 07-31-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

You've gotten lots of good advice, so let us know how it's going.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Pasturized,

I don't have much to add either-but wanted to share that in my last 6 months of drinking I was consuming two bottles of a wine a day- and I'm still here Seeing a doctor is a good idea before you detox.I detoxed at home and it wasn't fun-but it was bearable.I wish you well,

Jules!
Old 07-31-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. Just reading the posts made me feel better. I will keep you all informed. Hopefully I will have very little to tell Also, I read everything you linked me to. Super helpful.

Last edited by Pasturized; 07-31-2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Forgot to let them know I read everything that they linked me to.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Originally Posted by Pasturized View Post
I am a 1-2 bottles of wine drinker every night for about a year now. I am going to stop drinking tonight with the help of my husband. I am so afraid of the side effects being life threatening. Re-hab or what ever its called is not an option for financial reasons so we are doing this together at home. Can anyone that has had an experience similar to the one we are about to encounter give us any advice? Thank you.
Hi Pausterized!
I was a 1-2 bottle a night wine drinker too! I was not a morning drinker so I knew I could go some hours without it.
So I quit cold turkey and I started taking vitamins, extra calcium, eating protein in the morning and small snacks throughout the day and LOADS of water. Other than feeling scared, demoralized, headachy a little, I had little physical symptoms. I was also going to work, etc. after the first day. The psychological part kicked my booty but the physical was not too bad. Oh yeah, limit the caffeine because falling asleep at night was difficult. I now take Melatonin (homeopathic) and it has helped to fall asleep.

Best of luck!!!
PM me if you need support from someone that has been there!

Wanted to add, I drank for much longer than 1 year though!!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Okay, my one sons knee connected with my other sons nose last night and ended up in the emergency room for hours so the first few hours of my normal drinking time were a breeze. I am a little naseaus and shaky this morning with a headache that can fell an elephant. The craving hit hard around 3 a.m. so I woke up my husband and we played cards for a few hours until I fell asleep. So far so good. I didn't drink last night for the first time in years. Will post again in a bit. This headache makes it hard for my eyes to focus. But again. I didn't have a drink. Whew!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Wow! The universe works in mysterious ways, huh? Good job!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you did the first day. I remember my first day waking up after not drinking. It felt so good to not be sick from drinking the night before. My hangovers were way worse than the quitting.

Hope you keep us up to date on your progress. And want to say Hi.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Same-same but Different

Hi! I had the same concern for YEARS. (I'm 37). I always had wonderful insurance and good anonymous EAP programs, and even time/resources for a leave of absence. But, I never allowed myself to think beyond the obvious:
"If I take off any time, "they'll" know and I'll lose my job....."
All to say, I picked the one time in my life when I'm broke-ass, no insurance, no cash ($28 in my pocket), no car. I just never went back to work; and didn't even turn in my hours for the pay period.

I didn't know what would happen when I got to a "place." I'd called ahead and the hospital told me there was no room in the inn. But, I went anyway and it all fell into place. I was in detox for 7 days. (good b/c though I'd "only" been drinking, I was sick sick sick and didn't even realize it.) They monitored me and I got healthier. Then, I got into a treatment program. It was 30 days. Sort of a half=way house, but one where you couldn't work. I realized it was the first real vacation I'd had since I was in high school. And I worked the program like it was my job!

Re: insurance should cover detox. And if you don't have insurance, your state should have a program that will cover detox. (the hospital would know). Then, the hospital will work w/you re: treatment (tx). There are free tx programs; there are sliding-scale fee treatment programs; there are ways to make this work. If you want to get beyond this, just go to the facility where the detox begins. It will all fall into place. I thought I was the only lucky one, but evidently, it works out for so many others who are in financial straits.

Good luck and please let me know how you're doing.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I ran into this with my ex-he wanted to stop drinking but was determined not to take time off work. So we went to an addictionologist who gave him some very helpful meds (campral, I think) to stop his cravings and some others to help him to sleep. He did great the first month that he took the meds. It would have worked if he'd stuck to it, but he just wasn't ready to quit. I just wanted you to know that there are some docs out there that will work with you out-patient.
KJ
Old 08-01-2008, 01:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am in the same boat. 1-2 bottles of wine a day...Just stopped yesterday. I am feeling very anxious. I am at work, but keep getting up to go outside and walk around the block because I can't sit still. I am so stressed out I don't know what to do. I just want to get under the covers and hide.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

First,
Pasturized, CONGRATS on one day sober! See, that is how it is done, ONE day at a time. I am thrilled to hear that you have that support from, your husband. I have the same and it has made a world of difference. Stay busy and vary your normal schedule. I know I have shared this many times before but for the first couple of weeks I was very uncomfortable in my kitchen making dinner because that is when I drank (hid it from everyone), so be nice to yourself and try to be grateful for every little thing that comes with being sober.

Eclipse, Good for you!! I also went right back to work. It is rough and I feel for you. Walks are a great idea. Good news, it is almost the weekend. Nap if you want to! Do you drink tea? Warm baths and herbal tea helped me. Also, watch your caffeine intake. That made everything harder for me (especially sleep) and I was going nutso on it.
Oh yeah, and keep talking, you are right where you are supposed to be! (Glad I am far enough away that you can't slap me for that, my sponsor always says it and at times I want to throttle her for it)
Old 08-01-2008, 10:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to new members

prodigirl....

Eclipse...
Old 08-02-2008, 01:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi there Pasturized, Prodigirl and Eclipse, mind if I join you?
Today is day one of not drinking (again). However this time I really feel different, I looked round and realised that I have a fantastic husband and 2 lovely kids and what the hell am I doing drinking and jeopardising all that!
Like you I am going it solo, detoxing myself but definately with the help of SR. Keep posting guys, we CAN do this, none of us are alone.
Kindest regards
Ceder