OxyContin versus Supeudol?

Old 07-30-2008, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OxyContin versus Supeudol?

Can anyone here enlighten me further about these medications? My sister has a prescription for OxyContin because of chronic back pain. (Or so she says... no doctor has ever been able to find a reason for the pain.) She has been abusing this prescription for a long time by crushing the tablets, which ruins the time-release effect the medication is supposed to have and instead provides the full dose at once.

Now in rehabilitation (also for use of street drugs) she claims she cannot possibly get off this drug because of the pain and she is highly resistant to trying any other medication for her pain.

Today she called to tell me that her doctor will take her off the OxyContin (because it is not covered by her welfare) and will put her on something else called "Supeudol". When I looked this up online I got information that made me think it was basically just another name for the same drug. Am I out to lunch here, or my sister trying to do a snow job on me again?
Old 07-31-2008, 12:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
rozied

I had never heard of this drug but just did a search. Obviously they are the same thing. The reason the dr may be switching her is the price of the medication. Medicaid ( from what you wrote ) will not pay for Oxycodone but will pay for the other. Probably a generic form of Oxycodone
Old 07-31-2008, 12:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Same drug different name.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The uncomfortable question is now that you know what the drug is, what is YOUR action to take?

When my loved one's excuses and choices and consequences became too painful for me to bear, I realized that I needed help. I started going to Al Anon meetings where I learned to keep the focus on ME and not on HIM. I learned to step out of the way and allow him to make his own decisions and to deal with the joy of his own consequences. I had to get a program, get a sponsor, work the steps, get a life and get out of the way.

Today, my life is much better, and so is his. He's not in recovery, but his life is better and I'm not consumed by it. I have time to live my own life.

Hugs
Cats
Old 07-31-2008, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas View Post
The uncomfortable question is now that you know what the drug is, what is YOUR action to take?

You're absolutely right about the fact that she needs to be left to make her own decisions and if she didn't have a child, I think I'd be in the right place to be at peace with it and just let her go ahead and do her thing.

Unfortunately, because I am looking after her daughter - and she wants her back - there's a whole lot more at stake.

Sister, in my opinion, is just trying to get doctors to say she needs this drug so that she can take it without anyone pressuring her to stop it.

So... what action do I take? I have no idea....
Old 07-31-2008, 09:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you have her daughter do you go for family day? tell her councelor what she told you about the drug & see what happens from there? Make sure they know shes trying to manipulate you?
~Ski
Old 07-31-2008, 10:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks ski04, that's a good suggestion. I'm trying to find the balance between wedging myself in her business and trying to control her recovery which makes me lose my mind, and providing useful and pertinent information when it needs to be provided. I'm not so good at walking that tightrope yet, but I'm learning.

We are going for a visit on Saturday and I am hoping to have the opportunity to talk with a staff member at that time.