Notices

Withdrawal symptoms or hangover?

Old 07-30-2008, 01:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal symptoms or hangover?

I know that a hangover is supposedly a mild form of withdrawal that "normal drinkers" go through, but when does a hangover become something more? I noticed that over time, my hangovers after drinking hard liquor became worse and worse...My hangovers have never just been a headache...it's always been intense nausea, with throwing up (I'm at the point where whenever I experience nausea, I can just get myself to throw up...I don't have to stick a finger down my throat or anything; I do it to try to alleviate the nausea, but the thing is I have to throw up until my body is completely rid of the alcohol, which could be 10+? times. I'm really sorry for the graphic description, but I'm just trying to understand the situation). I never considered this to be the alcoholic form of physical withdrawals, but is it? The nausea is so bad that I've never drank more to get rid of it because by then I've lost the desire to put anything in my body. I lose my appetite too and I'm a compulsive overeater, so that says something. I don't know what would happen if I did take a drink though.

Or is this the reaction of someone who isn't an alcoholic, and has just drank too much for her body repeatedly? Because it seems like I don't have any tolerance, except when I drink wine and beer.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know whether it's hangover or withdrawal - I don't know if you're an alcoholic or not either - but look, does it *really* matter?

You have bad nausea, repeatedly throw up, no appetite, and - in your own words - drink 'too much for your body repeatedly' - whatever you're doing, it's just not good to treat your body this way EM.

You're poisoning yourself - on a regular basis.

I'm glad to see you posting more - I really hope you come to some conclusions soon.

D
Old 07-30-2008, 02:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

EC, for me, i can say it got worse, way worse...

dry heaves to the point of blood

puting booze in my body, and throwing up repeatedly til the booze would stay down, to keep me from the serious shakes, and more!

alcoholism is progressive...

good wishes to you EM

rz
Old 07-30-2008, 03:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee, does it really matter? I know at one point I asked myself the same question, but then I kinda figured out, it made no odds whether it was a hangover or withdrawal, what difference did it make? It was alcohol that was doing it and it wasn't going to get better unless I quit drinking.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for, keep reading and keep posting

Sax
Old 07-30-2008, 03:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is not supposedly withdrawal, it IS withdrawal. It only gets worse (as you have already noticed) and if you continue drinking, will progress with sweats, shakes, etc. all the way to full blown DTs:

Delirium tremens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, there is no way to throw up enough to get all alcohol out of your system, as a lot of it is still in your blood.

Have you ever heard of a "morning after" DUI? You go out drinking until midnight or so and get sloshed. Wake up in the morning hung over, get a shower and maybe even something to eat, and off to work you go. You get pulled over for something innocent like a tail light out. The officer smells booze on you, you do a breathalyzer and you are STILL legally drunk (> .08 BAC). This happens all the time.

I will not label you an alcoholic, thats up to you and you Dr., but hopefully the info above is helpful.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Why drink?
Why overeat?

...I suggest you find a counselor to help with your life.
An addictionologist would be ideal.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree that defining what you are experiencing isn't that important. I am so sick of the hangovers/withdrawals that I'm sober for 17 days now and never want to go back to day one again. I want to stop destroying myself and enjoy the rest of my life without alcohol.

All the best to you!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

AMEN Least. This is Day 9 for me.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My hangovers got more and moe like that and they would last for days. I knew my diesease was progressing. I was so sick with this last bender that my hands shook, I threw up for days, I was sweating non stop, had nightmares, insomnia and I actually started hearing things the first night. That really scared me and I knew I was in the final stage. I really believe if I drink again I may accidentally kill myself with alcohol poisoning. I never really believed that before and I hope the knowledge of that will keep me from drinking.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

WishIWasNormal - this is my 9th day also!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am not sure either if what you are experiencing. For me that was a hangover. I was a puker. I would puke when I drank and the morning after. And be sick all day. God I do not miss that. Day 44!!!!!