How I know I am in recovery.......

Old 07-28-2008, 08:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1. I re-scheduled an appointment (it wasn't a "have to", but a "nice to" kind of appointment) - so I could go to my home group al-anon meeting.

2. I look as my behavior while being involved with my guy in active addiction as part of the disease. That my reactionary behavior was par for the course.

3. I am growing more and more with my inner-self every day. I am aware of my wants and my needs.

4. I'm learning to not take it personally.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

YEAH! For you! Good going!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

I am minding my own business
I have learned how to Let Go

Two steps that I am currently focuing on and having success with are:
#6 I am entirely ready to have HP remove all my defects of character.
#10 When I am wrong I can promptly admit it.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Abundance View Post

4. I'm learning to not take it personally.
I yearn for that day

Great job!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You go girl - how far you have come!

To have a life that isn't consumed with an addict - what a concept - it certainly was foreign to me.

Putting your recovery first - just as we expect them to put theirs first. Leading by example.

I'm proud of you.

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler

Old 07-29-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys!

I was kind of hoping that it was going to go

etc....... with you all adding yours! hahaha...

But I can't control it tee hee... or obviously cause it..... well here's my attempt on curing it! hee hee..... little attempt at codie humor!

No ... I'm just kidding around guys. It comes and goes... but yesterday was great..... and today.. good too!

We went back to the rehab place yesterday to visit. And the prior weekend my guy went back on his own and I was thinking that 60 days ago..... or even 30 days ago.... I wouldn't have imagined that I would be in the place I am now. we BOTH are in recovery! I understand now why I meet people who are in Al-anon for 20 something years...... cause it WORKS! Grant it... yes I am a baby in "R". Over the weekend at a BBQ I was asked what my recovery date was..... and I honestly don't know. I mean..... I kind of think I began back in December when I came here..... but I responded saying I'll take on the same date as my guy... and my guy threw out a zinger at the bbq saying that was kind of "co-dependent" of me.... it got a few chuckles.... and I'm sure I gave him the bird or something, but it got me thinking....... when is my date? I believe in my heart it was coming in here and letting it all out and being aware of my situation....... and taking control of me!

Mike..... not taking it personally is a new one I'm learning and embracing. It's a big one for sure! What helped me was this book ... "The Four Agreements"..... it's not really a big book..... but it talks about that.... and the tools are right on!

When I'm in the AA rooms... it is talked about putting the tools that are given to us into practice....... and well...... I'm doing it in my recovery as well. It's almost like a little black book on how to live life! I've thought about how wonderful it would be to have a little instruction book for L.I.F.E....... and I'd have to say this is the closest I have come to finding one!

Peace and BIG love ~~~~~ xoxo
Old 07-30-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awake Awake...... I had a dream that my guy didn't like or approve of me going to al-anon. It seemed so real and it took me a few minutes when i woke that it was just a dream. As users have dreams..... I have dreams of codie and problems from the past. It trips me out. Anyway..... that is so wonderful for you that you are taking steps to help yourself. There is only going to be goodness to come in doing so
Old 07-31-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
On a tear

5., 6., 7., 8.... and kick and turn and step, step, step, TAP!!!

Yeah... used to dance and used to teach aerobics.

Anyway. How do I know I am in recovery? Because, I am once again DOING THINGS FOR ME!!!!

I am taking a drawing class - "Drawing from Life"... live nude models (better than the dead nude ones....hyuk, hyuk, hyuk)

I just finished a stained glass class... made something myself and KEPT IT!!!

Took a one day glass pyramid class, created a glass pyramid and filled it with sand and recovery coin and jewels and stuff for my Alanon sponsor. And it isn't perfect. AND I am giving it to her ANYWAY!!!

Let my daughter take care of her own kids... both of them, even though I didn't have anything better to do.

Allow my son to live here and live his own life.

Wow. Four years ago, this would not and did not happen.

Recovery is goooooooood.

...2, 3, 4. Ta Da!!!!