Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

first time here...would like to stop and don't know where to start

Notices

Old 07-28-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

is anyone there?
Old 07-28-2008, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi There!

One of the best things about SR is that there is always someone home> Let me be the first to welcome you to the site. It's beyond amazing. Share your concerns with us and we will do the sam for you!:bounce
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm here.

I'm Anna, and I welcome you to SR.
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Hi, I am glad you are here!! My name is Cathy and I am an Alcoholic.

It is easy to start, you just did, you post and read, maybe share a little about yourself when you are ready. If you have questions, ask away. No one here bites.....I think..LOL
Old 07-28-2008, 05:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ditto to everyone else....welcome to SR!! You will always find love and support here.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by diditagain13 View Post
is anyone there?
Yeah, we here.

WELCOME!
Old 07-28-2008, 05:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Starting is as easy, and as hard, as just not drinking or using from this minute forward. Or, as W C Fields said about smoking, "quitting smoking is easy, I've done it hundreds of times"... or was that Groucho Marx? You know what I mean. And I've started being sober too many times in the last six months or so. I'm an expert by now at "starting" to be sober, I haven't been near as good at "staying" sober.

I've never given up tho. I kept getting up and brushing myself off and starting over. Now I have 15 days sober - a miracle! - and am finally feeling positive that I can succeed at this.

For me, staying sober is easier because I have counseling sessions every week where I can blow off my feelings harmlessly. If I can work on better mental health I may not feel the need to "self medicate" my problems away.

Whatever you do, please detox safely. Withdrawing from alcohol and/or drugs can be dangerous. I'd also suggest some AA meetings for the friendship, understanding, and support. I've found a lot of comfort in a room full of people with the same problem as me! And they still love and accept me!

Keep coming back to the site. Lots of friendly support here, good experience too. And there's lots of Hope here! It makes a big difference to me, I'm sure it can for you also.

:ghug3
Old 07-28-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Perfectly Flawed

Been here for two days(pretty much continously) It's a grand place. Salutations! hope you find what you're looking for
Old 07-28-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jeez, you guys are fast. Thank you. I don't think I can do it. though It is such a part of me now after all these years. It is amazing what I can put away and no one ever knows (except those sober people at work that have noses).

I never get out of control, but recently the black-outs, my sleep eating is in full swing, shaking started and sometimes noticable at work, heart thumping thing...that's a new one, oh and what did I do last night to hurt my neighbors feelings last night so badly. I keep apologizing for something that I don't know what I did and I can't ask or he will know I don't remember.

I have one left tonight and then I want to try to stop but I thought I would see if I could get somebody to talk to before the **** hits the fan.

So, I have some questions...average @ 10 a day, about 110-115 lbs. Female. From what I understand this may be a medical issue (read on line).

Can you guys help me get started? This sucks.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

PLEASE consult your doctor, or any doctor. Withdrawing from alcohol can be dangerous besides being uncomfortable and annoying.

Please start your sobriety safely!

:ghug3

PS, if you're having blackouts, shaking, and racing pounding heart, it is already 'out of control' it would seem to me. And the fact that you joined us here tells me that you want to stop drinking.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Did, you have to try and stop before you worry about staying stopped. You can do this. There is a lot of support here. Let us know when you want to stop....then do it. After that take it a minute or so at a time. There is so much support and information here. Welcome.

On edit: I echo what least says. It is hard to get medical advice, but absolutely necessary when it comes to addiction. It is a huge first step.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous so you do need to talk to your dr.

But, believe me, you can do it.

We do understand and we are here to support you.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome and please make yourself at home. Least had good advice. If you have any doubts about medical issues or fears of withdrawls, you're probably best to seek medical advice before you start on this road. Don't let that hold up your decision. Call immediately and get a medical appointment so your questions are answered.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

No option for seeing a Dr. I can hardly pay my rent and car and feed my daughter after I lost my business last year...and ruined my credit. I am on the forclosure boat and am having to rent now...single mom (financially as well).

The job situation and huge responsibilities that I have on my plate are certainly making this worse, I have noticed this recently. On top of all that my husband and I are divorcing after 7 years (well, I guess we would if either one of us could afford it). He is not my daughters father so whatever money he sends is a bonus and not something he has to do. Her dad is a dead beat and not worth persuing...just to get that topic out of the way.

Point being, no $$$ for a Dr. My life hurts. How in the would do people do this?!

I read that there is a anti-depressant from Canada not needing a script. I refuse to even take an asprin, I am just against taking things no matter how sick I am. But this one said it is supposed to help alcoholics. (Bursirone) Anyone know anything about it? I understand I need a Dr. But I just can't right now. New job, 2 weeks paycheck behind in starting and no bebefits for three months. Even the the deductable is enormous here in the US.

Thank you again for staying with me tonight. I really need it. Outta beer.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Going to an ER might be the best bet for you. Detoxing from alcohol can be fatal. It's not something to take for granted.

Is the medication you mentioned supposed to help alcoholics to not drink? I haven't heard about anything like that. (I live in Canada).
Old 07-28-2008, 06:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I don't know where you are, but here in Michigan, there is emergency Medicaid. I went to the Health Department and got a referral to a treatment center as an indigent, I was homeless, jobless, penniless....you name it!! I also had ruined my credit drinking, even declared bankruptcy after I got sober and the creditors caught up with me!! I am living proof that you actually can pull yourself up by the bootstraps with enough determination. You can do this, check with your local health department about emergency medical care, possible they can refer you somewhere if they can't help. Also, in Michigan there are treatment centers for Women and children, where you could take your daughters with you if necessary.

Good Luck, Cathy
Old 07-28-2008, 06:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This s hat I found on it...

I am not allowed to post this link yet (new member) But another name for it is Buspirone in Canada.

The inhousepharmacy DOT COM (again, not allowed to post this address yet) carries a form of it for 35$ (not sure if I am allowed to post that, I am not selling it)

I am afraid I am going to go into a more serious depression that just my "at the moment situational" place in life.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Hi and welcome. I also think you need to get help with the aid of doctor. We can't offer medical advice.

There is always a way out of this if you want it.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surlyredhead View Post
I don't know where you are, but here in Michigan, there is emergency Medicaid. I went to the Health Department and got a referral to a treatment center as an indigent, I was homeless, jobless, penniless....you name it!! I also had ruined my credit drinking, even declared bankruptcy after I got sober and the creditors caught up with me!! I am living proof that you actually can pull yourself up by the bootstraps with enough determination. You can do this, check with your local health department about emergency medical care, possible they can refer you somewhere if they can't help. Also, in Michigan there are treatment centers for Women and children, where you could take your daughters with you if necessary.

Good Luck, Cathy
Thank you Cathy. I JUST got this great job and will not let it go to get help...I am trying this first. I cannot afford bankruptsy or bootsraps, so that's why I am doing this online thing first.

I will however look into the emg. medicade...perhaps something out pt.? I am NOT an AA 12 step person (I have a degree in psy so do know all about that and would NEVER take that route.)

You guys keep making me cry so mabe I can do it. Maybe. I don't know.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes it is very scary but the ER is an option for you. I suggest you consider it.
You can negotiate paying the bill afterwards and there are programs to help.

If you choose not to, please stay on here and keep in touch. I don't recommend trying to purchase anything over the internet. Just consider going to ER telling them that you need and want help to withdraw from alcohol. Do you have anybody friend or family that would be safe for your daughter to stay with so you could seek help to get better? Even for tonight? Take care. Believe me, those that are responding to you really know what they are talking about. While I have relapsed, they have all helped me incredibly.