Anyone know about Shick-Shadel Hospital?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone know about Shick-Shadel Hospital?

My AP is talking about going to this treatment center:
Chemical Dependency Treatment, Alcohol Addiction Treatment, Drug Addiction Treatment, Rehab, Seattle, Washington

They use aversion therapy in a 10-day inpatient program. I'd really like to hear about any experiences or information anyone has.
Thank you!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Personally, I can't even imagine it working for anyone, but I think she's interested in it because:
1. It's only 10 days, so not so much time off work.
2. It's not AA

It's a fine line to realize how much to talk about treatment options with the A in your life. If she brings it up, is it okay to discuss it?

My nature is to thoroughly research everything that interests me. If I see a pretty butterfly, I'll go online and look it up. If I overhear a conversation on the bus about an author, I'll go to the bookstore and find something by that author to see if I'm intrigued. So, of course, the first thing I did when she mentioned Shick-Shadel was to go online and read every word on their site, searched old threads on SR, etc.

So, of course, I now know more about Shick-Shadel than she does, but since it's been about two weeks since she mentioned it, I haven't brought it up again. I get the feeling that when summer is over and it's time for her to do something about getting sober, she's going to declare that she wants to go to Shick-Shadel. I don't have any faith in their program, but I guess I'm stuck with sticking out the attempt since I told her "I'll support you in your recovery effort." I don't want to dictate how she recovers. So, I think I've kind of trapped myself to allow her at least this one effort.

Sorry for the rant, but it's on my mind this morning and just wanted to get as much feedback as I could.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its not up to you to decide what if any treatment program she enters now is it? So let it be. She will do what she will do.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It sounds so trite, but fortunately true:
If someone is ready, truly ready to quit, then the program is not the most relevant point. Great programs have not so great results because of the numbers of folks there because of legal process and mental readiness.
This is certainly where you put your faith where it belongs and not in a person. I'll pray with you that this is the start of recovery for your A, but your recovery is still soley your own and within only your control. That's a comfort, isn't it?
Take care!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Barbara52 View Post
Its not up to you to decide what if any treatment program she enters now is it? So let it be. She will do what she will do.
Sigh. I know that. Thank you for reminding me. And, I did this to myself. Put myself in this "limbo land" position, even though I know it's the worst place to be. Patience. Patience. Concentrate on myself.

Having trouble today, I think, because of a conversation I had with my sister yesterday. I told her that I know my AP really loves me, and she snapped back with, "No she doesn't! She's not capable of loving you; she doesn't love herself!"

In theory, I know that what my sister says is true, but it's hard to pound it into my head when I have the day-to-day life to live and almost 18 years with my partner, who has not only told me she loves me but has proven it to me many times.

And, yet, she's proven to me many more times how much alcohol is more important to her than my feelings or our relationship. I know I'm too forgiving, I don't expect enough, and I deserve much more. That's why I'm in therapy. Third appointment this afternoon. We're going to talk about my mother, which is giving me a sinking feeling just thinking about doing that.

There's a part of me that wants to prove everyone wrong. See? She DOES love me. Isn't that sad to think of? That I allow my self-worth to be valued by whether an alcoholic becomes sober. Sheesh! Don't even tell me; I know how crazy-making that thinking is. Okay, I'll stop now.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by McTired View Post
It sounds so trite, but fortunately true:
If someone is ready, truly ready to quit, then the program is not the most relevant point. Take care!
Yes, you're right. I know you're right. Just wrestling with my demons today, I guess. Thank you.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I treated for alcohol at Schick Shadel Dec 27 2007 through Jan 6 2008.

I believe it is a wonderful facility and their system worked well for me. I didn't go through any other treatment centers like some have done, Schick was my first experience.

I kept a blog during my time at Schick and I've kept it going since. You can read about my experience at... (this is my first post so I cannot post a link, so I'll have to obfuscate it) ... wesatschick dot blogspot dot com
Old 12-24-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also was treated at Schick-Shadel recently. The treatment is two-fold. They treat the body medically through aversion therapy and the mind by way of studying alcoholism/drug abuse through counseling and class sessions as well as treating the subconscious mind through relaxation therapy. They have a no. 1 success rate. The program takes away the cravings for alcohol on the body and mind levels. I am very glad I went. I found out about it through a family member who went in the 70's and is 29 years sober. I came out without any cravings for alcohol as well as a better understanding of the physical/mental causes for alcoholism. By the way, alot of the doctors/nurses/counselors have been through the treatment program.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i went there i can tell u anything u want to know. its aversion therapy r u going for alcohol or drugs?
Old 04-30-2011, 02:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

it work ok for me but i have positive and negitive feelings about it. You have to believe it will work. The relaxation/sedation was the best part they put u under and ask u questions while under sedations they use positive reinforcement speaking to u while u r under sedation and then u get to find out what u said... it was interesting to say the least. The aversion therapy for alcohol is worse than the drug aversion therapy the drug aversion consist of shocking your wrist while u use fake drugs. The alcohol aversion is throwing up........
Old 04-30-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seattlecat View Post
it work ok for me but i have positive and negitive feelings about it. You have to believe it will work. The relaxation/sedation was the best part they put u under and ask u questions while under sedations they use positive reinforcement speaking to u while u r under sedation and then u get to find out what u said... it was interesting to say the least. The aversion therapy for alcohol is worse than the drug aversion therapy the drug aversion consist of shocking your wrist while u use fake drugs. The alcohol aversion is throwing up........
Old 04-30-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

starflier,

I don't know anything about that treatment facility.

I'm just replying to let you know that we all have the right to change our mind. You are not trapped. You can do what feels right for yourself today, in this moment.

It took me a long time to stand up and say "I don't know." "I can't say." and even "I've changed my mind. That isn't right for me anymore." but it is important. Every person has the right to do that. If we are to really take care of ourselves, we have the responsibility to do it.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

UGH - just now saw the date on the OP.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

New to post

I am considering Shick-Shadel. Is it still working for you. I know the choice is mine, it has been a real struggle for me and I am ready to love myself again.

Originally Posted by seattlecat View Post
Old 10-09-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

kd, this is a post from 2008 and the OP hasn't been on the forum for well over a year.

Welcome to SR. Please feel free to start a thread of your own. We are here to support you in your quest to live a sober life.