It works

Old 07-27-2008, 09:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It works

All of the things I have learned through Alanon and SR.....work. Not just as it relates to loving an alcoholic but as it relates to everyday life. I recently had to call a key employee on the carpet for some very devious behavior. I was able to stay detached but address the issues directly and concisely. I was (internally) devastated by the dishonesty and deceit but was able to state the boundaries that were violated and hold my ground. I trusted this person.......she did not deserve my trust.

I guess the reason that I post this is to say that the principles of Alanon are much farther reaching than our close personal relationships. They can help us in our careers too. And in all of our life experiences.

My son is an alcoholic. It is a terrible realization for a mother but I am thankful. I'm not thankful that he is an alcoholic (that's obvious, huh?) but that this disease has given me the opportunity for self evaluation and personal growth.

The key employee elected to quit instead of face the ramifications of her behaviors. I was ok with that. It means that I have to work an 80+ hour week for an indefinate period of time.....until I replace her. But I'm ok with it. I recognize that she needed to FEEL the consequences of her behavior.

I am so very thankful for Alanon and the personal growth that I have experienced over the last two years. I'm in a good place emotionally and psychologially and I feel that I owe it all to Alanon, many excellent books, and SR.

Thanks everyone.

gentle hugs
Old 07-28-2008, 12:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

You are so ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!!!!!

When I was 3 years sober, on my exact anniversary, my AA sponsor strongly suggested I start attending Alanon IMMEDIATELY. Now, true I was married to a 'sober' alcoholic but couldn't really see why I needed Alanon, rofl. But being the good little sponsee, I did go, albeit kicking and screaming but I went.

I have said here and elsewhere, next to my parents and family shutting me out 2 1/2 years before I found recovery ALANON was the NEXT BEST thing that ever happened to me. Gave me a whole NEW perspective of the 12 steps than I was getting in AA and showed me how to apply them TOTALLY to MY LIFE in every facet of my life.

Alanon has made a big difference in how I interact with others, be they an alkie and/or addict, an employer, an employee, a friend, a neighbor, heck even the clerk in the grocery store.

But again, like any recovery program, or on going therapy, it only works to the extent WE WORK IT. It has certainly been an asset in my life for over 24 years now.

Glad its helping you in your also!!!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 07-28-2008, 03:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post,
I have seen this in some areas of my life also.
Although I never would have "chosen" to go through
the experiences I have in life, I feel I am a better
person for doing so...........
Old 07-28-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Although I don't go to AlAnon, I am working the steps and progressing in my personal development through wide reading. I too find that applying these principles throughout my life are leading to a much better life every where.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A few years ago, I would never have been able to call myself a stable, intelligent person who was honest, kind, and led a balanced life full of fun and love.

Now I can, and I blame it all on having gone through the steps of recovery. In a way, my alcoholic loved ones have done me a huge, huge favor. I'm a better person and a happier person than I ever thought could be possible.

(((kindeyes)))
Old 07-28-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep, I'm finding that the changes happening to me are having a ripple effect in my entire life. I'm trying not to be the "advice queen" for everyone else. I can't believe I've been this way for so long and no one told me to just shut my trap! I'm trying to just live my life and stop trying to solve everyone else's problems. It's helped me to realize the friends I can actually count on and to drop those that I can't. Life is too short to keep crappy friends. And, I still have a long way to go on this one, but it has helped me to stop worrying so much.