Notices

Advice about being a sponsor

Old 07-27-2008, 07:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice about being a sponsor

I was at a meeting tonight and a woman I have known for awhile was there. I had not seen her in some time because I changed my mtg schedule because of new work schedule. We talked before the mtg and she told me of her recent relapse and what she had been going through since I last saw her. The mtg started and it was a speaker mtg. It was pretty good. After the mtg she asked if I was open for sponsorship. I was shocked and flattered at the same time. I told her I have never sponsored before and asked why was she asking me. She said that everytime I spoke at a mtg she got a lot out of what I said and she always looked forward to hearing me share in a mtg. I always think I sound like a babbling dingaling. That is the alcoholic in me. I said we could work at it and we will meet tomorrow night before a mtg I always attend on Mon. p.m.
I called my sponsor and left her a message but I am so excited about this honor. I feel it is an honor because I know how difficult I found it to ask someone to be my sponsor.
I would like input on what to start with. I have been sober since 3-30-07. I am working the steps for the second time with my new sponsor.
Where should I start, where did you start with your sponsee, where did your sponsor start with you? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Yea for you! I can totally relate to feeling like a babbling dingaling, thanks for sharing that!

Start at Step 1. :-)
Old 07-27-2008, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is some great news. I have never sponsered anyone but you can start with what your sponser has taught you. And it sounds like you are doing really well.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi deezaldog,

"where did you start with your sponsee, where did your sponsor start with you?"

I think that sums it up quite well. This person picked you because you offer something she wants, so I would say passing your experience with the steps would be great!

There are sometimes disagreements about the best way to work the steps. I picked a sponsor that shared alot of my story and I wanted what he had. I asked him to help me work the steps. I didn't ask him how he planned to do that and I didn't ask him how his approach was better then any other.

He guided me through the steps the way his sponsor guided him and that was using the Hazelden worksheets. He handed me the step one worksheet and told me to start reading the bigbook and start answering the questions. I spent alot of time on the first step, found out what powerless really means. Remembered thousands of examples of my powerlessness etc... same with unmanageability...

I'd say your sponsor will be a great source of strength for what lies ahead. You'll do great!!

Peace
Old 07-27-2008, 08:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
God's Kid

That's fantastic, I think I was like 4 or 5 months sober when someone first asked me to sponsor them and, like you, I went home and rang up my sponsor to ask if I could.

:bounce

And she was like, of course you can, you just do with her, what we've been doing which was keeping in touch via the phone and meeting 1x a week to read through the BB and 12 and 12, and in between time I was taking the required action.

So just do what your sponsor does with you and if you don't know the answer to something, ask your sponsor.

And in the BB it says something like, ....as you and your new man (the drunk you've help sober up) walk side by side...

I reckon I learn more while being a sponsor than any of my sponsees do...