Notices

Real Laughter that comes with Sobriety

Old 07-27-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Real Laughter that comes with Sobriety

This is one of the best parts of sobriety for me. I laugh….at the wisdom of my children, mostly ..like today. I asked my preteen daughter if she could have ANYONE IN THE WORLD come to visit, who would it be. She replies, "Nanna and PopPop." I respond, "IN THE WORLD!" To which she replies, "Nanna and PopPop are in the world." (They live nearby and we see them all the time!!! Lord, I love that girl!)

I am STILL laughing.

If I was still drinking, I’d have missed it. We probably would not have even had the conversation because I'd be busy with other things…God it’s good to be back!

I can do this. I can stay sober today!

Liberty~
Old 07-27-2008, 05:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I have to say that Bottoms fills my laughter quota every single day. Sometimes it's a howl, other times a chuckle. Usually a fit of giggles. Can't explain if you haven't participated in the thread .

My kids too, are extremely funny. Sorry I can't post much of what they say here... it's pretty randy .

You're right about drinking Liberty. Had I not stopped, I would be missing the humor in most things. I'd be missing most things is more to the point.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Toooo funny

My sister said her grandson said " What planet is my dad from". I cracked up for a couple days on that one.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

One day I was going out the door to go to the store. And my then 4 yr old cousin asked me where I was going. I said "crazy".
He got all excited and said...OOOHH can I go Pleeeease.
He was so serious it was too much.
Another time..My cousins husband..who is 3 yrs clean from cocaine...Was at my aunts for a bday party.
He is a typical airhead. It cracks you up how clueless he is. But it is so innocent its funny.
My grams made German chocolate cake and the candles were in it sitting on the counter. He walks by and says why are there candles in the baked beans? Thats one of those had to be there moments.
Anothet time they were at a hotel and he saw a button on the wall that said mEssage. He pushes it and goes..cool a mAssage.
Gotta love him.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

One day I was going out the door to go to the store. And my then 4 yr old cousin asked me where I was going. I said "crazy".
He got all excited and said...OOOHH can I go Pleeeease.

D
Old 07-27-2008, 09:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
IO Storm

My mom....

She is 83. I have shared she is ill. I live with her...and help out. Due to her

age, she says things more and more in such an innocent fashion she would

never have shared in years past. My sister and I love to laugh ...never (at)

her, but with her. She is so funny, and delights in telling stories of the past.

Sometimes I cover my ears when it comes to stories about my dad...and I

blush. She then says "You think I was born yesterday." Or.."You kids think

you made up everything..well, I've been around awhile!"

(I am 52 *Lol*)

Her bluntness is disarming at times...but that makes it so cute.

And, I realize I am looking into a window to the future...how I myself will

be someday...
Old 07-27-2008, 10:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This one is a little twisted.
We were all at my aunts having dinner. And my grams made home made pies for dessert.
We are all sitting there eating pie and my gram just pops up and looks around and says
" I love watching you eat my pie."
Me and my uncle looked at each other and lost it.
I know..gross..but it was funny as hell.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
mle-sober

This is so true. Before, when I was drinking, I just wasn't paying attention a lot of the time. Here's my recent sit-up-and-notice kid story.

Julian is 4. Out of the blue, he says, "Mommy, I'm not lucky." He looks very sad.

I say, "What?! Honey, sweetie, of course you're lucky. What's wrong?"

Julian says, "I'm not lucky. I don't have a car or a penny or a diamond."

It just touched my heart. We drew pictures of lots of things like cars and pennies and diamonds. And we talked about real luck. Like when you have people you love right beside you - that kind of luck.

This too (along with meetings and prayer and the steps) this too keeps me sober.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hannitized

It's great waking up to your stories! LOL~ Dad's planet and the baked beans among others~

So good to be present in life and to appreciate little zingers! True Laughter and time with loved ones is better than any substance I can abuse.

Liberty~
Old 07-28-2008, 05:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Now that I am 15 days sober I find it easier to laugh at myself, instead of always cursing myself. I find more humor in situations that I usually missed being drunk or hungover.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i remember when we took my daughter to her first rehab place. me and mr k - we were a mess! we went through the long admit process with her, and felt like we were signing her away forever. i had to leave that office twice - once to go out for fresh air and a second time to throw up..

anyway, we walked over to the house she was going to be staying in and opened the door. there was about a dozen people (the residents there) sitting in the room inside the door - laughing their asses off!

i never went back to visit that place that people weren't laughing and joking and supporting each other. even on tough days.

recovery is a beautiful thing.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Love this thread!

My 4 year old has been dressing himself in the morning. I lay out his clothes the night before, and he wakes me and mommy uop after he's dressed.
One morning he wakes us up, I get out of bed and walk by his room, His Thomas the train underwear is still sitting on his bed.
I say, "Max, are you wearing any underpants?" He looks at his bed, then looks me straight in the eye and says "Appearantly not"
My little girl goes to be in pajamas, then during the night wakes up and gets fully dressed (Including shoes) and goes back to sleep. My wife and i always have a bet on what she's wearing in the morning!

I love kids!

Heavy
Old 07-28-2008, 12:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
IO Storm

HeavyJ..

Reminds me of my younger daughter...when she turned two, for some reason,

she began dressing in layers..complete outfits..pants dresses and sweaters.

She would ride her Hotwheels outside in August (here it can get up to 120)

and when I'd catch her and remove the clothing..she would put up quite

a fuss...she also fell asleep in the closet...and in her toybox....

Quite normal 33 year old today...

She's an accountant!
Old 07-28-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hannitized

It is too funny when they start dressing themselves. Last night we were watching tv. Our two year old son goes into his room and comes out dressed to the hilt...in dress pants and a beautiful sweater. Our daughter takes one look and says, "He's dressed for Christmas morning."

That just killed me. It was so funny! And I know I keep this house cool in summer but come on!

Yes, sobritey rocks and children bring such joy. They used to always be underfoot...in my way...in the way of my lifestyle. No more. They ARE my lifestyle now and Lord that feels right.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

My Brother, Mike, is 48 and has never Fathered any children. His second wife's boys were about 12 & 17 when they married. Four and a half years ago, they fought for custody and won (thank God) of her then 6 month old niece who was neglected. This little girl, JaeLynne is extremely intelligent and almost worldly (as any child can be) She says things so seriously that it's hysterical.

She got in trouble the other day and Mike looked at her and said, "Well, Jae, you know what that means, you have to go sit in your room for awhile." About five minutes later, he said she came out and stood next to him, hands on her hips and let out a big, dramatic sigh. He asked her why she wasn't in her room. As she let out another dramatic sigh and rolled her eyes, she said, "You know, Dad, I was talking to my brain and we decided that I don't need to be in my room any longer."

With that she spun on her heels and started to walk away. He said that he couldn't help but just burst out laughing . . . she was sooo serious.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Smart girl that little Jae!

I talk to myself all the time....and together we have great conversations....

te he
Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I like to call it thinking out loud...keeps the men with the white coats away.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Have you ever watched Tiger woods play? He constantly talks to himself...

And gets real mad and then yells at himself when he messes up...it's funny.

He says "Tigerrrrr!!!!!" Works for him...