Language of Letting Go - July 27 - Letting Go

Old 07-27-2008, 01:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - July 27 - Letting Go

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Letting Go

Stop trying so hard to control things. It is not our job to control people, outcomes, circumstances, and life. Maybe in the past we couldn't trust and let things happen. But we can now. The way life is unfolding is good. Let it unfold.

Stop trying so hard to do better, be better, and be more. Who we are and the way we do things is good enough for today.

Who we were and the way we did things yesterday was good enough for that day.

Ease up on ourselves. Let go. Stop trying so hard.

Today, I will let go. I will stop trying to control everything. I will stop trying to make myself be and do better, and I will let myself be.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

How very hard it was for me to let go of my son and his addiction. I felt like I was his lifeline, that if I let go he would surely die.

I learned that God was the only one who got to decide lifelines and that all tomorrows are in His hands.

I learned that all I accomplished by holding on was to be dragged into hell with him. I learned that each of us has to find our own way out of hell and that we can't drag anyone out with us. I learned what a dark place addiction is and that I cannot ever go back to where I have been.

I learned that I could stand in my light and hope that one day he saw it and would follow it to a better path.

Letting go became easier when I learned to give my son to God's care and then live my life well, knowing he was in good hands.

Hugs
Old 07-27-2008, 02:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Taking a very big deep breath and repeating....

Today, I will let go. I will stop trying to control everything. I will stop trying to make myself be and do better, and I will let myself be.

I'm a good person. I should (and can) be happy with that.......

Thanks Ann --
Old 07-27-2008, 02:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm a good person. I should (and can) be happy with that.......
That's not just a thought, itsatruth, that's a truth we can live in each day.

I don't believe we were meant to live in sadness and pain all our lives, but sometimes, for me, it took living in the darkness in order to find my light, my path and a better way.

Going to meetings and learning to live the 12-Steps saved my life, gave me back happiness and peace once more. It is a gift available to each of us, and one that is free for the asking.

Hugs
Old 07-27-2008, 02:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't believe we were meant to live in sadness and pain all our lives, but sometimes, for me, it took living in the darkness in order to find my light, my path and a better way.
I so want to find the light again. Baby steps, right? --putting "one foot in front of the other" - meetings, reaching out, the steps......
Old 07-27-2008, 05:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

itisa.... little tiny steps. It works. Don't get me wrong, I still often wonder how this happened to me and how I allowed myself to get here, but I seem to be able to pull out of it quicker. It is soooo hard to reach out and work on just letting things be, but when you see even tiny bits of progress, feel good and rejoice in it. Think about this... you keep coming back here. You keep sharing and reaching out. How wonderful and powerful that it is... good for you. Smile and be grateful for the progress you have made. : )