A question from an alcoholic?

Old 07-25-2008, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

A question from an alcoholic?

I used to post quite a bit in here, but being a little more mature in my sobriety I thought it might be proper for me to ask if my input from the recovering alcoholics side of the fence would be welcome here or not?

Opinions? Suggestions? Guidelines?

I would like to share my ES&H, but I do not want to step on any toes.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Of course! I always enjoy your posts!
Old 07-25-2008, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Taz, I for one welcome your input!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 07-25-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thanks guys, you both know I call it like it is from my side of the fence!!!! LOL Being an alcoholic myself I know very well how we work! LOL
Old 07-25-2008, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know that some of you past posts and the posts of other RAs have been very helpful to me in understanding what's what from the other side of the street so to speak.

I've been fortunate over the past year in being able to turn to several RAs in my life for their input and understanding of what I am going thru, what my xAH is going thru and on the subject of alcoholism in general.

Please keep positng. You help more than you know.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

Congrats' on your sobriety! I dont want to speak for anyone but myself (though I'm sure this goes for a lot of peeps out there): I appreciate anything you've got to say. Silence one man and you silence every man. I need all the wisdom I can get and appreciate anyone who is willing to share thiers...good or bad!

Old 07-25-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I believe you was the only one who responded to my POST.. about NA
Old 07-25-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your postings have shown me the other side of the fence and helped me tremendously in my own recovery. I'm so happy to be able to have the chance to thank you for your honesty and for sharing your thoughts with us. Really it has helped me more than you will ever know.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Don't a lot of people go to AA for the advice and support from those who have been sober for long periods of time? It's the same thing here.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Taz,

The way we have the forums structured here is for each group to have their own place to share their experience, strength and hope as they learn to live with the effects of alcoholism and drug abuse (and the other isms on the boards). So, alcoholics and addicts have their forums as do friends and family and, for the most part, we stay in our own sandboxes.

In other words, if you have a family member or friend who is an alcoholic or addict? Then FFA or FFSA is the place for you. If you're sharing from the perspective of an alcoholic or addict? Then the other forums are a better place for you.

I'm not discouraging you from posting over here... just suggesting that you post from one perspective here and another over there.

Thanks

Cats
FFA mod
Old 07-25-2008, 06:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Cats I see your point, I do have a son who is an alcoholic, but in being honest with myself and others, his alcoholism is his problem and right now he is dealing with it well and it presents no issues for me.

So that being said perhaps I should just say that if one of you all wishes a recovering alcoholics take on something feel free to PM me.

Love to you all.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

I can't even tell you how helpful the other forums have been to me. I've posted in the A's forum to get a better understanding of where my exabf was coming from. I always get alot out of your posts and have read so many.

Thank you!
Old 07-25-2008, 06:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have a wonderful friend/co-worker who has been sober for 21 years. His recovery is plainly what makes him "joyful, happy and free." He lives life to the fullest and is very generous with his help. For him it's been eye-opening to see what we on the other side experience in recovery. I feel I could never repay him for his guidance. I think, though, that if you asked him he would tell you he feels honored and humbled to be able to offer his help. If you want to post here, I for one, would welcome it.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thank you all for your replies, but the more I think about it the more I feel that perhaps I should just answer PMs from those here who would like the recovering alcoholics side of things.

Cats it may be an excellent idea to either lock or delete this thread, I feel I may have over stepped some boundaries.

An idea to eleminate this might be a subforum where recovering alcoholics and "Freinds & Family" folks could meet?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
...An idea to eleminate this might be a subforum where recovering alcoholics and "Freinds & Family" folks could meet?
If the ''rules'' of SR determine we should not cross forums then I think this is an excellent idea.

I have always enjoyed reading posts from RA's and it seems some people have found insight on other forums to. It seems a great shame that just because we are what we are means that we should not inter mingle. A great loss in my opinion.

Is not the internet a sharing of ideas? Aren't we made into rounder more accepting people when we learn and live with one another? I cannot say I completely understand why you should stick to your forum and we stick to ours.

So when is the ''Everything Alcoholic'' forum opening up?

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 07-25-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I hope that you continue to reply to people's post. I have never found your replies to justify or rationalize...just explain. It is extremely helpful to me to hear from someone who has been there. My biggest supporter in real life to are the ones who are long time recovering addicts/alcoholics.

I understand that there are different forums - but I think this one would lose much value if you were not able to post OR if people had to be healthy enough in their own process to PM you.

The fact that you said you have a son who is struggling makes you a family member. Because you are able to detach from his issues makes you a PERFECT family member to share with some of us who are not there yet.

I hope you do not stop. I hope you do not limit responses to just PM's.

As I read the replies there has only been ONE person who has thought this was not the place for you. Everyone else benefits from you.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

99% of the replies encourage you to stay and you decide to leave???
Old 07-25-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Taz, you have done more for me personally than you know. When I was new to this forum, it was you who took the time to explain and encourage. I knew when I came to family and friends that it was about what I needed to do and change...but in the same token, I was able to gain insight with your help and others about what was going on with the A. I continue to look for your posts and take note on where you are and what it took to get there. You are an awesome person when it comes to acknowledgement and inspiration...I can't speak for everyone, but I thank God for people like you who take the time for others and share your strength in faith and hope for people you don't even know.

If you don't stay...I know where to find you!
Old 07-25-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I've never just stuck to one forum. I always go to "New Posts" and take it from there. I get something from all of the forums and IMO, a person is really limiting themselves if they just stick to one forum.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Wow........ I find myself between a rock and a hard place here......

99% of the replies encourage you to stay and you decide to leave???
I am in AA, one of the things we hold near and dear for self preservation of AA is a singleness of purpose, that purpose being "Each group has but one primary purpose - to carry it's message to the alcoholic who still suffers", I would assume that Alanon has the equivelant of that tradition seeing that it is direvative of AA.