Notices

Introducing Myself

Old 07-24-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introducing Myself

Hi..I'm new on this site. I thought it might help me along the road to helping my best friend. He's been my best friend for 20 years and he can't/won't stop drinking. Over the last couple of months he's gone so far down that his family won't even talk to him, not the same person that faught in the Gulf War, or the one I went to grade school with. On one hand he wants to give up, and on the other he wants to get better. I'm now in a position of trying to give advice to him on a daily basis because he won't go to AA and he won't seek out other resources that could help him. He lives across the country from me and from all his family and other friends. I'm trying all I can from where I am to give him the best advice and help him through this. I think I've hit a wall though, so I'm hoping this site will help me out.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Hopefully your friend will decide to seek help for himself. Until then, there is not a lot you can do.

For yourself, you might check out AlAnon meetings for support. Also we have two forums for Friends and Families on this board.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR HelpingFriend! Glad that you found us-

It is hard when we see those we love addicted to anything-It is heart breaking however
there is nothing that we can do! We cannot lead a horse to water and trying to will only hurt us in the process.
And this goes for friends/family too!

Please check out our "Friends & Family Forum" there is a lot of support here and the stickies at the top of the forum are filled with a wealth of information!

Keep posting-you are not alone in this!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pursue your dreams

Just a thought, if he has access to a computer, tell him about this site. I can tell you from my own experience that I was on and off about my drinking problem until I came here. Prior to coming here I had heavily researched the internet about alcoholism, detoxing and DT's and still didn't quit. It wasn't until I came here and read the actual stories from real people that I was able to stop. The members on this site don't pull any punches when it come to the ugly effects of alcoholism and the road to recovery.

I wish you and your friend the best!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hello, helping-

alanon is a good choice for you. your friend is lucky to have you. don't try to cure or control his addiction, because you can't.

k
Old 07-24-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober