Notices

first AA meeting

Old 07-23-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first AA meeting

i have my first aa meeting tonight and i am soooo scared and nervy- i have no idea what to expect or what to say when i get there

wish me luck

becca
x
Old 07-23-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No need to be scared or nervous. Just show up with an open mind. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck, I've never been to a meeting, but I suspect it's a lot like posting here, it's just face to face. I bet you are going to love it!

Heavy
Old 07-23-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck tonight.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks guys- im gonna try and get a sponser aswell

i'll keep you updated

becca
x
Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Please don't be nervous. Really! All you have to do is sit and listen. You do not have to speak if you choose not to. Keep an open mind and believe that you are supposed to learn one lesson while you are there and look for that lesson.
Check back and let us know how it goes. :ghug3
Old 07-23-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Becca you do not have to say a word unless you want to, walk in, grab a cup of coffee, sit down and just listen. Keep an open mind, listen for similarities and not differences. Keep in mind there are no rules in AA.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Best wishes for your first meeting becca, have no fear and go with an open mind. I love going to one every night. Here's some ideas of what to expect...
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-about-aa.html
Old 07-23-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

im really worried the other people are going to judge me because im 20 and be all like- wtf is she doing here shes only a child- do you know what i mean?

becca
x
Old 07-23-2008, 09:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Going to meetings is great. Just know that everyone in that room may look shinny, bright, and happy, but they are there because they have been in your shoes, and they want to help you find a way out of the insanity of drinking...just like someone showed them.

I love going to meetings because part of my active addiction is to isolate. Meetings help me find people and have some fun.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Becca,

What you can expect are a lot of people just like you who will accept you unconditionally and with open arms. If this is not how it turns out for you, find a different meeting until it is. I'm sure you'll be fine. You are doing a very brave and good thing. God Bless,

John
Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Becca!

I think that you will find people very welcoming. I love my meetings. The people are genuine and caring. Actually, once I went for awhile, "normal" people seemed shallow and self-centered. I have often thought of "normal" people..."sheesh, you need a group!"
Old 07-23-2008, 09:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

P.S.

I go to meetings where there are 16 year olds, nobody judges them or doesn't take them seriously, in fact, nobody judges anybody in AA, even after a relapse. Just keep your ears open and listen for your story.

John
Old 07-23-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by pinkbecca88 View Post
im really worried the other people are going to judge me because im 20 and be all like- wtf is she doing here shes only a child- do you know what i mean?
About 15% of the members of the Club I attend are under 20. Alcoholism doesn't discriminate by age. Do you know what I mean?
Old 07-23-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

yeah im sure you are right- i just get like this before anything important, all paranoid and scared, and this is like the most important thing i have ever had to do.

thanks for your support

becca
x
Old 07-23-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Becca we have a young man who started coming to AA when he was 15, he is 16 now, we have a young lady who picked up her three year chip at the age of 19!!!

There are quite a few young people in AA.

No one is going to judge you!!! If anything they will admire you for seeing a problem with drinking at a young age.

If there are any universies near you I bet they have meetings on campus at least once a week if not more often.

I was a drunk for the last 5 years of a 40 year drinking career, how could I possibly judge some one who is far smarter then me seeking help for their drinking problem, perhaps you could judge me for refusing to see I had a problem for so many years?

Hon has any one judged you here? Trust me, you will not be judged in AA either.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

This is a big step. I was so scared when I went into my last in-patient program. I wanted to be there so bad, and yet I stood at the door for a minute taking a couple deep breaths, and calming down. But I was determined to open that door and walk in.

Remember....the addict in you doesn't want you to get clean and sober (And possibly really happy)...it wants you to stay addicted to chemicals...and unhappy.

I don't know what your religious views are...but as stated above, just keep an open mind. I'm an athiest who goes to meetings because they make me feel good. And I LOVE feeling good.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Becca,

I'm glad you recognize that this is the most important thing you ever had to do, it was for me too at 45. Think of the years you are saving of your life, how smart and fortunate you are to recognize you have a disease and to take action!

Be proud of yourself,

John
Old 07-23-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Becca, I was so nervous walking through that door for the first time. Once I got in and sat down I felt fairly comfortable. As soon as people started sharing and I realized how much in common I had with them I knew I belonged there. I'm glad to here you are planning on going. Keep us posted. Oh and as far as the age thing, when I see someone young I don't judge them I envy them for getting it early in life.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

yeah you are right- no one on here has judged me so why would they- and i am like them anyways, and i may not even be the youngest

logcabin- it is so the addiction telling me not to go, i can hear it in my head 'dont go, everyone will think you are a ****' and so on

im so glad i joined here- i would have talked myself out of going else- so thanks

becca
x