Courage to Change ~ July 23 ~ Laughter

Old 07-23-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Courage to Change ~ July 23 ~ Laughter

Courage to Change ~ July 23 ~

A miraculous change has come about because of my commitment to the Al Anon program: I have discovered that I have a sense of humor. When I came to these rooms, I never cracked a smile and resented anyone who did. I couldn’t understand all the laughter during the meetings; I didn’t hear anything funny! Life was tragic and serious.

Recently, I was sharing about a series of events that I had found extremely difficult. It had been one of those weeks in which everything seemed to go wrong. The odd part was that now that it was over, I found my traumatic tale incredibly funny, and so did most of the others at the meeting.

More than any other change I have observed in myself, I find this the most glorious. It tells me that I see my self and my life in a more realistic way. I am no longer a victim, full of self-pity and bent on control of every aspect of my life. Today I can take myself and my circumstances more lightly. I can even allow joy and laughter to be a part of a difficult experience.

Today’s Reminder

If I take a step back and look at this day as if I were watching a movie, I am sure to find at least a moment where I can enjoy some comic relief.

“You grow up the day you have the first real laugh – at yourself.” Ethel Barrymore
Old 07-23-2008, 06:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I try to find the humor in most of the things that happen in my life. For me, the ability to laugh about it takes some of its power away. I don't laugh at everything... some things are truly tragic and sad, and I can feel those feelings too.

I do remember in those deep dark days when the disease was really raging in my world. I was so overcome with fear and doubts that I lost my ability to see or enjoy humor at all. When I could laugh again? That's one of the ways I knew I was getting better even if my situation wasn't all that great yet.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Cats i know what you mean! I remember toward the end of my relationship with exabf, I couldn't laugh at all. We would watch a comedic TV show and it would not affect me.

now I laugh often!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 07-23-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Originally Posted by CatsPajamas View Post
Today’s Reminder

If I take a step back and look at this day as if I were watching a movie, I am sure to find at least a moment where I can enjoy some comic relief.
If you ever need a good laugh - just let me know - you should hear some of the crazy thoughts that flash around in "Ritaville" - sometimes they are so "out there" it is just hilarious!!!

Wishing for each of you a day filled with serenity, courage and little laughter,
Rita