Can you get to rehab real quick through the Emergency Room?

Old 07-22-2008, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Can't make sense out of crazy.

Can you get to rehab real quick through the Emergency Room?

Kind of need an answer quickly
Old 07-22-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know - but if someone is in any sort of distress, take them to the ER first, and answer questions later.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strongerwoman View Post
Kind of need an answer quickly
I don't think so. They may recommend an outpatient and give you information on rehabs to contact but that may be about it from my own personal experience.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

if the person is under the influence now. they will keep them there until they are sober and most likely send them home once they sober up. It takes 1 hour for the blood alcohol level to drop .20 points - I think if I remember this correctly.

If you are looking to get someone sobered up that is all they basically do, but if they are suicidal or are in pain and hurting they will keep them -

Please keep us posted as to what is going on.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If it's an alcohol related emergency, I would think that detox would be where it would end up. Rehab would be after detox and would depend on a lot of things. Insurance, for one, a desire to get clean, for another.

I don't know where this question is coming from, but my suspicious side can imagine....

If the oooey-gooey emails didn't get ya, then surely a medical emergency will.

L
Old 07-22-2008, 07:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm almost ashamed to say that I agree with LaTeeDa. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I totally agree with LTD! How is this going to help you? He is a grown man who likely knows where the ER is. Unless he is unable to move or unconscious, then I assume he can take care of himself and doesn't really need you to rescue him. JMHO
Old 07-22-2008, 08:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Can't make sense out of crazy.

sorry, sorry, sorry - I know what you all are thinking!

It wasn't about stbxah! Honest!

My friend's sister has multiple mental health issues (is really a total mess, its very sad) but is also currently drinking very heavily. She called to talk to me about it and we got to wondering if the sister could get into a rehab facility if my friend took her to the ER because she was saying she was wanting to just kill herself in her drunk condition.
(if my friend would have told me in the first place that her sister was threatening suicide, I would have known to tell her they would assess her for that at the ER if she was brought in)

She did take her in, I imagine they will be there for a long while.....fun fun fun.....NOT

No, stbxah is just emailing and calling me being crazy in all his tequila glory tonight. Alternately loving me then hating me, alternating blaming me for everything and then for nothing, apologizing, saying one thing then 30 seconds later saying he shouldnt have said that, one phone call I am the best things that ever happened to him and the only one who ever cared about him, the mext phone call I never showed him I loved him enough, then there was the "I'm trying to tell you how I feel, what I'm feeling and you aren't showing any emotion, its all technical for you, I need you to show me love and support" and then "I'm sorry, I understand why you were like that, you have to be on guard with your heart and emotions, I understand." One minute sounds pretty sane and logical the next sounds out of his mind....
All the usual insanity. It actually kind of got amusing in a sick way.

I finally shut my phone's ringer off. I imagine he's passed out by now, last I heard he was crying himself to sleep and sleeping with a picture of us. To which I replied "I'm really sorry about that, I've got to go do some laundry now, goodnight."

Last edited by strongerwoman; 07-22-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hang in there, sweetie. You're doing great, definitely being a stronger woman tonight
Old 07-22-2008, 10:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

An ER will not get you into rehab. They may get you into Detox for a few days, but that is much different than rehab.

Your blood alcohol will not drop .20 in an hour, you normally metabolize 1 drink per hour. It takes a lot more than 1 drink to get your blood alcohol to .20, which is 2-1/2 times the legal driving limit in all 50 states of the USA.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

She called to talk to me about it and we got to wondering if the sister could get into a rehab facility if my friend took her to the ER because she was saying she was wanting to just kill herself in her drunk condition.
It depends on the state. In Arizona, if you put an A into the emergency room, and they refuse to go to a rehab, it is their right to refuse. It does not matter if they are suicidal, homicidal, or just plain old nuts. However, in South Dakota, the laws are entirely different. If you place an A in the emergency room, and the admitting doctor has adequate documentation to have the individual adjudged incompetent, then they can be put in a rehab - regardless of what they want to do.

The laws vary from state to state. All your friend needs to do is ask the docs in the E.R. If they do not know, there are social workers on staff at the hospital who deal with this issue every day. They will be able to inform your friend as to what she can or cannot do.

Here's the bottom line, strongerwoman. Your gf can find this information out for herself at the hospital to which she admitted her sister. There are health care and mental health care professionals on staff 24/7.

I believe FD pointed out to you that you are allowing yourself to become entangled in a lot of drama. Perhaps the emails from your ex stimulated this drama-overdrive.

We are just a community of folks here trying to recover from our exposure to alcoholism and the alcoholic. We try to support one another to the best of our limited abilities. Medical emergencies and legal problems are not our area of expertise, although we have knowledge of these issues (unfortunately) from often having dragged the A in our lives in and out of hospitals, rehabs, detoxes, jail, probation, court, and whatever.

I hope you can find some peace soon.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

All the usual insanity. It actually kind of got amusing in a sick way.

I finally shut my phone's ringer off. I imagine he's passed out by now, last I heard he was crying himself to sleep and sleeping with a picture of us. To which I replied "I'm really sorry about that, I've got to go do some laundry now, goodnight."
I'm so impressed with you!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
down the rabbit hole

I went through this exact scenario last night. In my situation - no, it didn't. I took my alcoholic father to the ER last night due to complications related to his "home detox" (tried to get him to go to the ER the other day, but he wouldn't - decided to wait until things got really bad) They gave him some meds to calm his shakes and help his nausea and sent him home. They did try to call some detox facilities last night, but no beds were open. So they sent me home with a list of places to call this AM to try and find him a bed myself. But the woman I dealt with said they basically do the calls as a courtesy but the hospital doesn't really make the arrangements, it's up to the patient.
All for naught anyway, as he called me this morning and told me not to bother making the calls today, that he would not go to the detox hospital even if we were able to find him a bed...
BUT it may have been a totally different story if he had been making suicidal threats... just my experience from last night...
Old 07-23-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by prodigal View Post
...Here's the bottom line, strongerwoman. Your gf can find this information out for herself at the hospital to which she admitted her sister. There are health care and mental health care professionals on staff 24/7.

I believe FD pointed out to you that you are allowing yourself to become entangled in a lot of drama. Perhaps the emails from your ex stimulated this drama-overdrive...
Got to agree with this Strongerwoman. You have been so used to caring for everyone else for so long, it is hard to break the habit. However your friends problems are not yours to solve, it is not your loved one, you are not at work, a simple, ''I'm sure the hospital staff could help you out'' would've been adequate help enough, or even point her to this web site for support.

It may sound harsh, I remember feeling that way myself, but in order to save sanity and to prevent becoming a caretaker for yet another person in our lives, we need to tend to what is ours only. Watch you don't replace the void of your AH's chaos with someone elses.

Continuing to emerse your self in the drama of those around you will ensure you are constantly in a place of emotional termoil and stress. Tend to your own side of the street. It will feel less alien as time goes on, and being able to detach from the chaos of others will provide you with better emotional security.

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 07-23-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am so glad I no longer allow myself to be drawn into the drama of other people's lives! It has been a Godsend to learn that I am not the answer to the world's problems, that other adults can indeed take care of themselves without my input, that other people don't want or need my advice, that I can be caring without being enabling and controling.

Give it a try. You just might like not being in the midst of constant drama.