Notices

My Body Is Screaming For Alcohol

Old 07-22-2008, 03:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Body Is Screaming For Alcohol

I am 9 days sober and know that no matter what, I cannot drink. And I won't.

But my entire being is screaming out for liquid relief. This has been happening every single day, it's like my dark, alcoholic side is actively campaigning for me to relapse. It's getting stronger and stronger.

I know I will not drink because I have surrendered my willpower to God, and He will keep me sober. But the desire and cravings are getting worse and worse and driving me crazy.

Help!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

I felt this way this morning. Do what I was told to do...drop to your knees and PRAY to your HP to relieve you of your cravings!! Then, go do something!!! It totally worked for me!
Old 07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang tough, it will pass. Get a book to read, watch a movie, do something.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry you're going through this SG....if you're in AA, ring those numbers...if not....keep posting...cravings suck...but they pass...you know that already

D
Old 07-22-2008, 04:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
It's not your body screaming for alcohol, it's your brain, the mental obsession.

This too shall pass, eventually the obsession is lifted if you continue your program of recovery.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It sucks but it WILL pass. You can ride this out-you've done it before.

I know for me I have to get busy when the obsession starts. Do something.Bake, go for a walk, clean your house-anything, all the while praying for release.It will come.Keep posting too.We're here for you,

Julesxox
Old 07-22-2008, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

After posting my original message, I got on the phone and called a couple of people in the program. It helped a LOT. Cravings are pretty much non-existent at the moment. I'm also going to my usual meeting at 9pm.

I am just so grateful to know that these are only cravings and the mental obsession rearing its ugly head. It's not that I have failed or that I am not spiritual enough. It's just darn alcoholism. I used to beat myself up thinking that when I got a craving or the obsession, that I had failed in my spiritual program. But now I know it's only a defeat or failure if I give in again.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not that I have failed or that I am not spiritual enough. It's just darn alcoholism. I used to beat myself up thinking that when I got a craving or the obsession, that I had failed in my spiritual program.
I've never believed this
it is darn alcoholism.

D
Old 07-22-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's right Sobergirl!

I think, that as your mind realizes that you are going to win this battle, it speaks louder and more often. But, your cravings will lessen as you get through each one, and become stronger.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobergirl77 View Post
After posting my original message, I got on the phone and called a couple of people in the program. It helped a LOT. Cravings are pretty much non-existent at the moment. I'm also going to my usual meeting at 9pm.

I am just so grateful to know that these are only cravings and the mental obsession rearing its ugly head. It's not that I have failed or that I am not spiritual enough. It's just darn alcoholism. I used to beat myself up thinking that when I got a craving or the obsession, that I had failed in my spiritual program. But now I know it's only a defeat or failure if I give in again.
Thats awesome. Pick up the phone before picking up.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's not that I have failed or that I am not spiritual enough. It's just darn alcoholism. I used to beat myself up thinking that when I got a craving or the obsession, that I had failed in my spiritual program. But now I know it's only a defeat or failure if I give in again.
That's some pretty harsh judgement to lay on yourself!

Since you are in AA I will throw a slogan at ya.

Progress not perfection.

We are not saints.

Cravings/obsessions ALWAYS pass, get busy, eat...anything. At 3 days sober I am very much talking to myself here too.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

...Prayers for your peace of mind SG
Yes! you are winning over alcoholism!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
That's some pretty harsh judgement to lay on yourself!

Since you are in AA I will throw a slogan at ya.

Progress not perfection.

We are not saints.
That is SO true! I know this now - that it's progress, not perfection, but I didn't for a while. I was pretty good at beating myself up over everything I did wrong!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You've made it so long. I envy you. I know that you have more willpower than me since I am back to Day 1 after only making it 4 days. But WE will keep trying.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
It's not your body screaming for alcohol, it's your brain, the mental obsession.

This too shall pass, eventually the obsession is lifted if you continue your program of recovery.
I just figured that out a few days ago. I always considered it physical withdrawal. If I am able to stay sober, it will be because of SR and all I am learning on the different sites. In 28 years, the longest I have been C & S is 2 1/2 weeks. When I don't drink it's because I have Rx. Both have caused permanent, lifechanging,irreversable misery.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Good work in using the tools you've learned about (the phone, meetings).

Realize that your 'disease', your obsession, craves the alcohol, not 'you'.

Difficult distinction to make, but you can learn to recognize when the 'disease' is talking.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sobergirl,

I'm only on day 18, so I'm not sure I'm much better off or able to give advice, but I like what you did. It gives me hope.

I think it is our actions, when we get a craving? that dictate wether we will drink or not. If we do the things needed to NOT drink, ei: call a sponsor, take a walk, kick the cat, (no just kidding

Last night I was myself climbing the walls for vodka, I posted about it here on the threads, then I forced, FORCED myself to go take a hot bath, paint my toenails. & then I came back to the boards, feeling cleaner & not so stressed. still stressed but able to "deal".

Tonight, right after work (my high stress point of the day) I came home and immediately fled to the bath. I took 20 minutes, right away to de-stress, to ease into the normal time of day that I would have been drinking. I think I realized it was the witching hour?

I think realizing your "triggers" will help you take "ACTION" to NOT drink. I've learned that here thanks guys! Is this the way to go? I think so, for me anyway.

Um as for being a spiritual failure..oh boy can I relate. and 3 weeks ago, with my hand on the church doornob, waivering wether to go inside. I spoke outloud, to myself.
"I am a child of god & I belong in this place" then I went in and sat down & heard the message.

Good job taking action, I'm so glad we are both here

:praying :ghug3
Old 07-22-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Sorry you're going through this SG....if you're in AA, ring those numbers...if not....keep posting...cravings suck...but they pass...you know that already

D
They do, in another post, i stated that I cried all last night about not being able to drink...

Today I'm so much better.

11 weeks!
Old 07-22-2008, 07:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sober girl,

You did a really good thing tonight by coming here and sharing, and then by picking up the phone and sharing some more. That's exactly how this works. Keep up the great work.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

good going to sober girl, to eggie and to Suzi

D