Notices

My drunk neighbor told me to go away

Old 07-21-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My drunk neighbor told me to go away

and I wasn't anywhere near them. Last night I went out to walk my dog at about 10:30 p.m. like I do almost every night. A bunch of my neighbors across the street were standing around with bottles in their hands (and from the sounds and looks of it I had to assume they were drinking) which is fine, that's not what bothered me. I walked by with my dog and said "hi", just to acknowledge their presence. And then I hear this male voice in the darkness say, somewhat quietly and calmly, "GO AWAY".

Ouch. I mean I wasn't anywhere near them, I was on the street walking my dog. I don't even know them and they don't know me. It really stung. Why do people have to be so rude?
Old 07-21-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

'Cause they're drunk.

I'm glad that's all that happened, though! So much danger can surround people who are inebriated.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

Yes, it is interesting how we can see things when we cross over to the sober side of life.

I was pathetic when drunk, and yet I put myself out in public when I needed to get intoxicated, and didn't care what I said or did or to who. I was a fool and they are fools.

Don't let them ruin your program. You are on the right track.

:ghug3
Old 07-21-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"I'm glad that's all that happened, though! So much danger can surround people who are inebriated."

Yeah, and the strange thing is, we moved to this suburb from the inner, inner city about a year ago, and the people in our old neighborhood were a heck of a lot more respectful than those that I have encountered so far. Though I am trying to reassure myself that there are nice people in our new neighborhood too, I just haven't met them yet.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"I was pathetic when drunk, and yet I put myself out in public when I needed to get intoxicated, and didn't care what I said or did or to who."

The drunk me would have turned around and replied, "$#@Q%^^, &^%$@, $#@%^...*&($@". The sober me had no clue about how to deal it. I just shuffled on down the street. Now I don't even want to walk the dogs on our street anymore. The only reason why I go so late is because it's easily 100 degrees here during the day. I feel like that guy messed up something I really enjoyed doing. Now I don't want to walk by them all again if they are out there. It sucks feeling like an outsider in my own neighborhood. Yes I am probably overdramatizing here but I am just po'd and hurt about it.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can understand the thing, but take a look at the focus. He was drunk and stupid. I was drunk and stupid, but I don't remember intentionally saying things like that. Forget about him and I would keep walking your dog as though nothing happened. I bet you that he doesn't even remember it and besides its your neighborhood too. There's a good chance of that any ways. We love ya!!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad that you weren't drunk, too, if the drunk you would've talked back at him! Things can escalate soooo quickly with alcohol! Yes, you faced an awkward situation and walked away from it....if you'd been drinking, too, who knows what could have happened?! I'm just glad that you were safe during this encounter!

Don't feel uncomfortable in your own neighbourhood. The truth is that there's some a-hole in every neighbourhood. And no matter what neighbourhood you're in there will be someone with substance problems. I was my neighbourhood's substance problem! lol Even if they didn't know it! And I live in a "good" neighbourhood. And really, I find that I feel uncomfortable lately in almost any situation...'cause I'm facing it without being cloudy from alcohol or being hung-over.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Any chance that maybe he was talking to someone else?
Funny how sensitive we get in new sobriety.
Similar situations have happened to me!
Please do not let that once instance keep you from walking your dog or doing pleasurable things outside.
Because honestly, if he was talking to you, he may not even remember it today.......
Old 07-21-2008, 10:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Any chance that maybe he was talking to someone else?"

I hope so, or at least I hope I am misunderstanding what he said/meant. I do understand what you're saying about being overly sensitive in sobriety 'cuz I've definitely been struggling with that.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Seriously Fun!

That's what I say. Don't let him stop you from doing something that is VERY important...walking the dog. And don't let him intimidate you. And yeah...no reason to walk by thier house anymore.

Just keep truckin' as you always do.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm..
I would have assumed he was not talking to me.

Maybe someone told him "Lets go home"
or "Give me that beer" or "You've had too many"

I certainly would not be changing my routine
for anyone. Mega
Old 07-21-2008, 10:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Think of it this way, even if it's not true. He was probably jealous because you are out walking your dog and getting some exercise, and he/she? is trapped there drinking that beer or whatever it is. Hopefully he was talking to his bottle. I say keep walking and enjoying your neighborhood.

Heavy
Old 07-21-2008, 11:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I wouldn't change my routine on account of what he said. Take yourself right back out there and walk with your head held high.

I doubt anything else will be said - and if something is said just keep right on walking.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I kind of have to walk by there a little bit because their house is directly across the street. Funny how he never mouthed off when I had my rottweiller!! (kidding) Seriously though, I hate to walk by people thinking they're going to be making fun of me but I need to just get over it, turn my i-pod up and ignore them and it is entirely possible that I took his remark out of context. I'm going with that for now and I'm hoping nothing else is said or done that proves otherwise.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

FD Sorry your feelings were hurt. You didn't do anything wrong.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just walk your dog on the other side of the street. He doesn't own the sidewalk. A bunch of drunks hanging out and being obnoxious... typical. You live in the neighborhood too. Do'nt let them stop you.

I must say, however, that when I'm walking my dogs, no matter what time of day or nite, I carry no distractions with me. Just the leashes, the 'doggie bags', and my heightened awareness of my surroundings. I WANT to hear and see what others are doing. To keep myself out of bad situations, if nothing else. Just like driving, I'm always looking around to see what's coming.

Just an aside: I've lived in the same house for 19 years. We've never had a break in or any attempt at such. I've only had a dog for the last ten years (and had the second dog for the last year) but my safe home might be due to a neon-pink big sign in my front window that says in big letters - BEWARE OF THE DOG'S OWNER!! Maybe gives the bad guys reason to leave my house alone!

YOu know, on second thought it might have been worse if he had said "hey come here" instead of "go away"!!

Last edited by least; 07-21-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Originally Posted by fallingdown View Post
Thanks guys, I kind of have to walk by there a little bit because their house is directly across the street. Funny how he never mouthed off when I had my rottweiller!! (kidding) Seriously though, I hate to walk by people thinking they're going to be making fun of me but I need to just get over it, turn my i-pod up and ignore them and it is entirely possible that I took his remark out of context. I'm going with that for now and I'm hoping nothing else is said or done that proves otherwise.
Good for you!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've known a lot of drunk guys and I can't ever remember them ever telling girls to go away. Most of them turn into Casanovas.