Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Recording drinking patterns--anything particular I should look for in the results?

Notices

Recording drinking patterns--anything particular I should look for in the results?

Old 07-17-2008, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Recording drinking patterns--anything particular I should look for in the results?

I've been recording the number of drinks I have per day and putting it in a chart with the date, # of drinks, type of drinks, and place consumed. Any particular pattern I should be looking for that would signal trouble? Anything else I should be recording?

I'm not sure if this is perhaps a stupid question, and/or stupid plan. I've decided to try it to introduce rationality with the chance of an addicted voice taking away from my mind's natural rationality. Thanks for any input.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well....I don't see that it can hurt....I can't imagine why someone would track it like that if they didn't have a problem that at least part of them was trying to face.

It may very well help you to recognize your problem by haveing the facts to look at...but some people will have some other ideas...for me, I was drinking so much that it was unavoidable to face and would be obvious on paper. But I think alot of people who have a problem with alchohol don't appear to drink that much more than their "peers"

Sometimes we have to try moderating our drinking in order to realize we cant...but i don't really recommend it.

And no...I don't think there is a real pattern to look for, everyones drinking can appear different even though we have the same problem.

Do you relate to what you read in the threads?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here are some facts you might not be aware of...

According to the Center for Disease Control

Moderate drinking is no more than
2 drinks a day for men..1 for women

They consider a drink to be
12 oz. of beer..5 oz. of wine...1 1/2 oz liquor.

Your body and mind processes all 3 toxins equally
so drinking only wine or only liquor or only beer
or mixing them is of no importance.
They all do the same damage.
Sooo..with that in mind....
do you see a reason to abstain?

You also may find this interesting...

How We Get Addicted - TIME
Old 07-17-2008, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

weren't you gonna try not drinking at all for a period, James or did I get that wrong ?

D
Old 07-17-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In my opinion, if you think you might have a drinking problem - you probably do.

I used to make rules for myself about drinking and try to limit myself on certain days. I don't know what you hope to accomplish - but good luck to you!
Old 07-17-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

James,

To be honest, it sounds to me like you're trying to control your drinking. If you're not an alcoholic, you shouldn't have to think about controlling your drinking. When I tried, endlessly, to control my drinking, I thought about it all the time - when, where, how much would I next drink. It was a relief to finally stop.

I think you said you were going to not drink for 3 weeks. How did that go?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, Dee, I decided to go a couple weeks (looked back, and you are right Anna--3) without drinking--after 1.5 weeks went back to drinking while recording amounts. Perhaps the fact that I went back a little before planned is a bad sign.

I fear I may be fighting a losing battle--but at 19 it's a difficult fact to accept. So for now I've been trying to observe my drinking from a neutral standpoint in hope I find I do have the ability to moderate--but also hopefully able to recognize that I may not.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

alot of us have been where you are James....just want you to get sober before it really drags you down! Not trying to judge you or anything just worried....I was definatly alchoholic at your age...but my first introduction to sobriety was at about 27.

Be very very careful...we are here for you :ghug
Old 07-17-2008, 05:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I get it's hard to accept at 19...it was hard enough at 39 LOL.

Just stay honest...and remember we're always here if you do eventually determine you can't moderate.

D
Old 07-17-2008, 05:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

for me, i didn't care what anyone said about my drinking when I was 19

looking back on it.......now.......i was in so much pain then that i had to do something. perhaps getting to the source of my problems would have been better....but that idea never grew into a possibility for me. even if it was presented I would have and probably did disregard it.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I first started to "think about" whether or not I had a drinking problem... it was pretty obvious to me that I DID have a problem. Else why would I devote so much thought to my drinking. "Normal" drinkers don't have to wonder if they have a problem because they don't have a problem. At least, that's my opinion.

Just the fact that you're taking pains to carefully note your drinking indicates to me that you think you do have a problem. If that's the case, as in the time you were going for three weeks without and only made it to one and a half, then perhaps you should try abstaining again and see how far you get. And if you think about drinking all the time.

This is what I used to do: I'd think about when I would be done with what I was doing so I could go home and open a bottle of wine. The thought of that end-of-day drink occupied my every thought. That really scared me. Even so, it took me several more months before I decided I should stop drinking. And I've stopped and started so many times I can't remember.

I sincerely hope you can find the answers you are seeking and that you can give yourself a good life. Stick around here and read. Lots of good info here from lots of different people.

:ghug3
Old 07-17-2008, 06:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by JPat View Post
In my opinion, if you think you might have a drinking problem - you probably do.

I used to make rules for myself about drinking and try to limit myself on certain days. I don't know what you hope to accomplish - but good luck to you!
Ditto.