Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

It is possible to leave your AH even though it may not feel like it right now

Old 07-16-2008, 04:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
God's Kid

"Come to the edge," he said.
"But we are afriad."
And so they did and he pushed them....and they flew.

I don't know if I have that quote 100% right but I am using it as an example of faith because I think it is when we are at our most fearful, God/HP takes care of us.

First thing this morning a woman I sponsor in the programs of AA and Al Anon rang me to say she had her car and kids packed up and was just about to leave her home to go meet a woman from her local womans shelter. Her AH is at work but does know she is leaving and has tried everything to get her to stay. I.e. "I'll get custody of the kids cause your so crazy..." Or "It will mess up the kids not having a father and it will be your fault." Or "No one else will want you since your fat and have 3 kids." Or "I love you don't leave me, I'll change. I promise"

I am sharing this as I am so proud of her. I have been her sponsor for about 18 months and during that time she has spent very little time considering leaving him but then certain life events happened (God intervened) so these past few months and it became a possibility for her.

Nothing has changed in him, except maybe his disease progressed, but the change in her has been 'maybe I do deserve to be treated better'?. Not 'I do deserve to be treated better!' just 'maybe I am worthwhile?'. I think spiritual development in a person happens in a gentle way and in a way, it's like God/HP whispers/breathes hope into our ear.

I think she has many trials ahead of her and leaving him is just a beginning but last year, I'm sure to her it seemed like 'the end'. There maybe a bit of back in fourth with him for awhile or there may not be, but I know what can't be undone in her is the idea that 'maybe she is worth more'.

It is a beautiful thing to be party to and I am so grateful God/HP put her in my life, there is always hope.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe with my whole being that taking what can be a leap of faith can indeed provide a big payoff if we trust in God/HP to lead us where He wants us to be.

Now that doesn't mean that leap is easy to make or that we will not face adversity. We often do.

But I believe it is part of the journey to learn along the way from the adversity we face, to become stronger because of what we face, to value what we gain because we face that adversity. We grow spiritually through this adversity also if we listen for the lessons along the way.

In my personal journey, even just looking at the past year since I left my xAH, those times when I truly trusted in God, my path became clear to me and I was able to get where I was meant to be. Now, that's not always been where I wanted to be mind you, but I can see it's where I am meant to be. It wasn't without hard work, pain and sacrifice either. I'm not a big believer in fate or predestination. But listening to and trusting in God has worked in my life and in the lives of others in here and everywhere.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lizw View Post
"But we are afriad."
And so they did and he pushed them....and they flew.

Read something about standing on the edge today myself.

When you stand near the edge of a cliff you fear getting too close, when you stand right on the edge you fear falling. It was to illustrate that you often don't fear what is happening right now but what might happen next.