Notices

Thanks TooMutch!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 11:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanks TooMutch!!!

So while driving home from school today I really wanted to stop at the store and buy beer. I also hadn't eaten all day and needed lunch, so i knew if I stopped at the store I'd buy alcohol.

Then I remembered the list i had made, of things i hated about drinking/and myself when I drank - thanks to TooMutch's suggestion!
I took out the list and read it aloud multiple times while driving. instead of driving to the store I grabbed lunch at dairy queen - not the healthiest choice, I know, but better than beer for lunch! So now I'm home, full of food, and most important - SOBER!

Thanks toomutch for your suggestio - your list kept me sober for another day!

Old 07-16-2008, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jpat-
In return you helped me more than you could ever know.

I have been in a depression for the last 2 days, a bad one. I have hardly been able to get myself out of bed. With thoughts of not being good for anybody. Thinking that all I ever do is lean on people. Thoughts of illness and dispare and worthlessness have taken over my mind and body. Until this.

I had just come from the bath and was going to try and get something done when I flopped back in bed, turned on my computer and found this thread. I laughed and cried at the same time and had to read the title twice to believe what it said.

I feel so much better just knowing that something I suggested meant so much to someone.

I am so glad that you took out your list, read it and did not stop at the liqour store. So glad you didn't drink.

Stay strong and once again Thank You. :ghug3
Old 07-16-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

The power in SR with the ES&H we share with each other is simply
amazing! to both of you! Glad you did not drink too JPat! Keep
that list close to you!

TooMuch a special for you be gentle with yourself- remember we are
here for you!
Old 07-16-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ok... you're making me tear up! lol - thats what i love about this site, i think sharing our experiences, tools and thoughts is helpful. I made a list once of reasons NOT to drink - but that clearly didn't work. When I was reading your list - it made me think of all the crap that goes along with drinking, and it made me think - UGH! I DON'T WANNA GO THROUGH THAT TODAY! And after that little episode passed, my first thought was " I have to thank Toomutch!"
I'm sorry you've been feeling depressed - and feel free to lean on me anytime!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

JPat -

How did you do today? As time goes on those cravings will get to be less frequent, I rarely have them anymore and if I do they are fleeting
Old 07-17-2008, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Jeeplady and I'm glad to see you posting, I've been wondering if all is okay with you.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Now thats some cool stuff.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This really made me feel good. That both of you were touched by each others post. That is so great.

Heck, if someone just puts a thanks under mine it makes my day.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

it's day 7 for me. i'm a little depressed actually, i feel good physically and the cravings are getting worse. i know its just alcohol trying to tell me "it won't be that bad this time" - but it's still depressing

A
Old 07-17-2008, 07:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JPat View Post
it's day 7 for me. i'm a little depressed actually, i feel good physically and the cravings are getting worse. i know its just alcohol trying to tell me "it won't be that bad this time" - but it's still depressing

A
Early sobriety has so many ups and down Jen, it's not easy.

I hope your depression will lift soon - not fun stuff to say the least.

As far as your cravings, they will deminish with time. Just keep refering to your list in addition to what ever else helpes keep you sober. Do you have a higher power?

Congrats on 7 days sober
Old 07-17-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

[toomutch]

i do have a higher power - i talk with him every night and thank him and ask for help. i know i have to do this one day at a time, but i'm just feeling overwhelmed and i feel like i'm starting to plan my next drink. my hubby's birthday, my birthday, and the end of my classes are coming up - and those are definately some drinking triggers (any excuse to celebrate right?)
so i'm trying not to think ahead - but it's just kind of lingering over my head.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Is your hubby up for celebrating these special days without alcohol?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

He definately is. But if I buy it and suggest it, well.... it's not that hard to change his mind.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi JPat

I have not drank in a long time but have been attending Smart recovery. A friend told me how helpful it was in every day life so I went and just loved it.

If you get thoughts that you do not want. They tell you to do the stop thought and focus on somthing else. Sometimes I tend to worry a bit to much so I tried the stop thought and it really does work.

Smart is changing behavior and they tell you how to do it. If you want they have a websight with lots of good reading that is helpful.

Just thought this would be helpful to add to what you are doing right now.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Jen - How is your day going so far? Are you feeling a bit better?

1963 Comet - Smart recovery has an interesting concept. Is it spiritually based?
Old 07-18-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Isn't SR (and ALL who are in/on it) just AMAZING?? I can't tell you how much gratitude I have towards all here.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

something kinda funny happened today. last night i tried this new eye cream my friend had given me that is supposed to help with dark circles under your eyes, etc.
so i put on a healthy helping of it last night, and i woke up this morning with two swollen bright red eyes! -lol
at first i was upset - why me? but hey - why not me, so i've been alternating ice packs on my face to take down swelling/redness before i have to go to work in 3 hours. and now when i think about it...its funny!

at least it's kept my mind off drinking! today is day 7
Old 07-18-2008, 04:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Jen - I'm sorry that I'm laughing, but I am. Only because I have had the same thing happen. Bought the eye cream - put it on before bed anticipating the dramatic effects it will have by morning. After all dosn't the jar of cream say "look ten years younger by morning". * I cant wait* Then Wake up in the morning with my eyes looking like two p*ss holes in the snow- um, yeah, lovely.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The price of trying to be beautiful right? lol - everyone at work was really nice to me because they thought i'd been crying, but then i told them what happened and we all had a good laugh!
But the good news is i don't think about drinking when my face is swelling up from an allergic reaction! *WHOO-HOO*!
Old 07-19-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

In that case Jen - use the cream every night. lol