Notices

Confidentiality

Old 07-14-2008, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confidentiality

Hello everyone I'm also new to recovery relatively speaking. Clean date is 04-01-08. I was a long term Opiate user who finally had enough and called uncle.
Well on to the confidentiality bit. When in Detox the people set me up with Out Patient Counseling. Being new to recovery I let them decide which place I should attend in my local community. Now please understand I truly have no problem with the services offered or the employees of this facility but when I received my mail on this past Friday I was caught completely off guard. In my mail box sat a letter with in large, black, bold letters for the return address said

Recovery
Counseling

With my full name and address
on the address line.

Not to get to far ahead, the actual name of the business is " Recovery Counseling Services" or "RCS" for short. To me the so called logo on the envelope is like a giant billboard, telling my local post office and anyone else in my small community.
Cut to the chase and I appreciate all who have held on this long. This seems to me to be a major breach of confidentiality. I was kind of upset about this and hoped for some input on this.
Thanks to all for being there.
B.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

That too would annoy me.

To put it in perspective though, while I don't agree that it happened and it seems silly that they have this logo on their envelopes, I very much doubt that your postman looks at the mail which he delivers.

It would make me very paranoid if it happened to me so I know where you're coming from, looking at it from an outsiders point of view though I guessing nobody else gave it a moments attention.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wow...

Oh, I don't blame you. That would make me mad too. I don't really have any advice to offer, except to say that I bet no one even noticed.

I can see how you would be upset/concerned. They should just use a non-descript logo with RCS in it. Then it could be from anyone...
Old 07-14-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, they could easily use a more anonymous logo on their envelopes. But I too doubt the mail carrier even noticed. They don't have time to read anything but the address. I would have been annoyed also, had it been in my mailbox.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maybe it is time to take action...yuo can't change what has happened, but you can talk to the service about this and perhaps they will change there system so the next person seeking recovery won't have to go through tthis. And then you can benifit from feeling you made a differenct too!

:ghug3
Old 07-14-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

That would burn my biscuits too!!! I don't really give a flying fig who knows I am in recovery, but I want to be the one to tell them, it is my business to tell!!!

I agree with ananda, let them know that you are not really pleased about the public service announcement on the envelope and ask them for a plain envelope in the future!!!

Cathy
Old 07-14-2008, 06:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for the feed back. I do plan on saying something.This post did not do true justice to the letter head used as thier logo, I tried to upload the image so that it could be seen as the marque that it is. If you wer to see it you would know the postal delivery person could not have miss it. And not to sound full of myself, but I was a business person in this town before my downfall and many people know who I am and I'm sure now know why my business failed.
Thank You again
B.