Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone!
I found this awesome site a couple of days ago and just read, and read all weekend long. I am so happy to be among people who understand where I am coming from. I thought I would introduce myself a bit. My name is Trina, married to my addict, T, and we have two daughters, J and J. Our children are 10 and 9. We live on a small horse farm in south Louisiana. I am a legal secretary by day and a ranch hand at night.

My dear addict "suffered" from cluster migraines for several years, and I use the term suffered very loosely, and was addicted to many prescription drugs from morphine, to loratabs, and then eventually to oxycontin, all of which was prescribed to him. I know he needed and took more than what was prescibed to him, and used, and used and used don't know how he survived all of the using, but it eventually lead to the use of herion. We lived this "dream" for a total of 12 years, actually things did not get very bad except for maybe the last 4-5 years with the last two being the worst!

Back at the end of March, 2008, my dear addict finally went into rehab and got clean. He has almost 120 days under his belt and I am very proud of him. He does struggle not to use, but has learned ways to deal with his problem, at least for today!! Which I am greatful for.

I am am happy to be here to learn, support and offer support to all who are dealing with this terrible disease! Hope to get to know you guys better!!

Hope you all have a great day!
Trina
Old 07-14-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Welcome Trina to our SR family - glad you joined.

I have found a great resource of love, understanding and support with a recovery family here at SR to deal with all aspects of life dealing with the A's in my life - those that are in recovery and those that aren't.

SR has truly been a blessing for me.

Wishing you Serenity & Joy,
Rita
Old 07-14-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Rita for the reply!
I saw you're in Louisiana also, are you in the south??
I read about that you went to an awesome meeting and would love to find one to go to. I tried alanon, and noone shows up to this one on several occasions.

With the encouragment of T's therapist (who we see together every other week!) I am considering starting a naranon meeting. I cannot find one in my local area! Which is hard to believe as this area has many addicts, or at least that is the way it seems to me, LOL!

Trina
Old 07-14-2008, 10:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Trina..... SR is amazing... it has helped me so much!

My guy is an opiate addict as well.. and he has 45 days clean ... had some stops and starts and then did rehab.. and 45 days is the longest thus far of being clean. It truly is just one day at a time!

I have been to al-anon meetings, but there aren't any nar-anon meetings around here either. I think it's great you want to start one up.... !!!!

Anywho... just wanted to welcome you!!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I Love Horses! I started barrel racing quarter horses when I was three!!
I love them!!!

My Mom used to get migraines like I've never seen anyone get, I used
to come home and find her passed out, she'd get them without a minutes
notice, fall down the stairs, bite through her hands from the pain, etc.
it was one of the worst things I've ever had to watch, so I can see how
someone could get addicted to pain pills, I guess in some ways she is
lucky that nothing worked for her.
I'm glad your addict is on his way to recovery. I was a meth addict myself,
so I know recovery is possible, (2 yrs 8 months) and it is worth every minute..
Welcome to the site!!! :ghug3
Old 07-14-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
grateful rca

hi trina, glad you joined us too. these caring people have literally been a life line for me. you have found a great place. the addict in my life is my hubby of 22yrs.i too am a recovering addict with lots of kids and 2 dogs. i know how hard it is to live with addiction.

glad to hear that you and your husand is working a recovery program. congratulation on his sobriety. i think its great you are thinking of starting alanon in your area, anyway, i just want to send you a warm welcome. keeping you and yours in my prayers
Old 07-16-2008, 07:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good to hear it gets better!!!

I just found this site tonight. My husband was in a motorcycle accident 2 years ago and broke his pelvis among other things. He seemed to get better then got arthritis and says he's in constant pain. So he began with Vicadin, percocet, and then oxycontin. His friends have noticed for awhile but I didn't want to admit it. Finally at the end of May we got a letter saying his dr would no longer see him because he didn't want to be liable for his od. All the while my husband is in CA with the Army and going to the hospital constantly for gall stones, and uncontrollable shaking. Gall stones were real but shaking was pre seizures. Anyways, he went to detox the day after he came home, June 16. Found stuff in his bag and realized he had been shooting it. Since then this horrible nightmare hasn't ended! He's in an outpatient treatment, failed his ua last week, and is behaving like he's using. So now he has a week of sobriety and leaving again with the military. Before he had a prescription, so I don't think he can get them there, but before of course. This has been a constant roller coaster for me. He doesn't see the problem because he has pain. I'm obviously the one doing most of the work. I've been going to al anon three times now and just found a nar anon tonight. I wanted to thank everyone for sharing their stories and that it can get better. And any advice or words of encouragement/wisdom are appreciated!
Old 07-16-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Trina

Welcome to our forum. You'll find lots of support and encouragement here.

I've been around since 2002. When I first came to this site, I was just a short putt to the edge. Today I'm much wiser and much tougher. Not to say I don't fall back once in a while. Even when I do fall back, I'll never fall all the way back where I was a few years ago.

I love the South. Love horses too, but am really afraid of them.

Again, welcome

Hugs, Devastated
Old 07-16-2008, 09:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! I'm so glad that he is in recovery... but I'm also glad that you've found this site, because there will probably still be some times when you'll be glad to have the support that the wonderful people here will always offer.

Nice to meet you
Old 07-17-2008, 04:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Hey Trinia,

Welcome to the family! You've found a great source of support and information, so I hope you'll stick around and read and post some more.

This place and my twice a week Al Anon meetings have saved my life and sanity. I knew I had addiction in my life, but had no clue how to handle it or make it better. Recovery has taught me that I can change no one else but myself. And that when I start to work on making ME better, things will and have gotten better in my life.

Will keep you and your family in my prayers. I do hope you can find a meeting or get one started. Lord willing, I will never stop going to my meetings for they are that important to me. And I am so grateful someone was there for me, just like at my meetings and on this board.

Hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 07-17-2008, 04:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
rozied

Welcome to SR.
You have sure come to a good place.
The disease of addiction is horrid & destroys the addict & everyone that loves them if we let it.
Prayers for your hubby that he stays in recovery.
Diane
Old 07-17-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Trina,
So glad to hear that you have had a successful outcome.

I am trying to move forward (and away) from my stbxABF (soon to be ex addict boyfriend), and the co-dependent neediness I feel for him, that disguises itself as love.
Hmmm.
SR site been a wonderful support to me, and I'm so glad to have found this courageous group of individuals in similar situations.
Together, we can all learn and grow to be stronger, wiser partners and family members!

Looking forward to posting with you.

Hugs,
Rivka
Old 07-17-2008, 09:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Hi Trina,
Just wanted to pop in here and welcome you to Sober recovery. It's a great place, with wonderful, caring people, who understand.

Hugs...
Old 07-18-2008, 06:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Trina,
Welcome! SR and my weekly Naranon and Alanon meetings make my progress in recovery from my 27 yr old AS (addict son) a bit easier. I read and reread the posts here and gain courage and strength.
Joan