Relapse

Old 07-13-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse

My 19 year old AD is once again addicted to her DOC, heroin. Heroin and stealing go hand in hand.

AD is employed by people I know. AD has access to the cash register and a key to the store. It is only a matter of time before she takes enough to be detected. I also work in this town and my business depends upon my name and personal integrity.

As most of us know, most people operate with the belief system that they have control over their adult children or that they did a good enough job raising them that their adult children will live on the straight and narrow. Of course, most people do not understand because they have no reason to. Heck, I was once one of them.

And so while I grapple with what to do on the home front, I also grapple with telling the shop owners what's going on and that they need to change their locks, now. My interest is to keep my daughter's name out of the paper because it's going to impact my business. How's this for focusing on me?

AD has been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder meaning she has symptoms of a variety of mood disorders and schizophrenia. I can't tell where emotional/mental illness stops and addiction behaviors begin.

And so, my question of the day is, would you alert the shop owner to the situation or MYOB and let this play out?
Old 07-13-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
gns

I have not been anywhere near in the same situation (I am not a parent), just wanted to let you know I read your post and am sorry you are going through this.

I am sure there will be wiser parents posting to your thread very soon.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just realized I posted this on the wrong board. I am sorry.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you are in such a difficult position. I don't know what I would do really by my first reaction is that since it involves your life so deeply, I probably would say something to her boss. It would then be up to them whether to act on the information or not. You and your AD have my prayers.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My heart hurts for you. I don't think you have any choice. You must tell the shop owners what's going on. I'm sorry.