Notices

Animal lover - what would you do??

Old 07-13-2008, 06:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Animal lover - what would you do??

Hi everyone - I really need some help on this one. My neighbor, a nice retired minister, has gotten a dog and she leaves the dog outside all the time. The dog was very abused from its last owners and does not trust people. He now lives with someone that would like to leave him outside to protect her. The only shelter he has is a gazebo. She gives him water, food and a milk bone everyday. He gets very little human interaction. I went to feed him one day and he runs away. He doesn't trust anyone. Its breaking my heart and as I write this I sit in tears.

I've brought the fact up that when it gets cold he's going to need to be brought in to which she says of course she'll bring him in. We have had a lot of rain lately and he's out all night and all day. Today I googled "dogs left outside all day" and it wasn't good what the articles said about it. I sent her a letter and a link. I've offered to take the dog in myself or to help her train him. I don't know what else to do. We have become friends and I believe this is going to really test our friendship. I can't do anything more that I can think of.

Please help. I have to look at this all day from our window. One day it was raining and the rain turned to sleet and then back to rain and he was out in it. I guess animal control next and I know that will ruin our relationship.

Sorry I have to get this off my chest. I've tried to let go and let God, but it isn't working. I've prayed so hard so many times and nothing changes.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh, I feel broken-hearted just reading that. No, I couldn't be friends with someone like that either. If you can find a reason for the animal control people to come, that might be a good idea, but then the dog will end up in a shelter and there's a good chance he won't survive there either.

Can you make the person undestand that the dog could protect her, if he's inside the house?
Old 07-13-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well I've tried through conversations and I just attempted one last time through email. I am hoping she will either turn the dog over to us, which is a little risky with my 5 year old, but I will make him know that he's not to interact with the dog in the beginning and I would hire a trainer for the dog too. We have another dog and I think if Joseph (the neighbor's dog) was with another dog it might be good too. They used to play through the fence - running up and down, but Joseph doesn't play anymore. He'd be a lot of work, but it would be worth it. I'm expecting a call today and if I don't get one I will call her. I told my husband before I would have closed the blinds and drank a lot to numb this situation, but I can't do that and I'm facing on a problem head on. I've not done this in I can't remember when. If Joseph went to a shelter I would adopt him. He's a beautiful black lab and we have a black lab mix with something or other. She was a rescue. I worry about our cat, but we would deal. I don't think she'll give him up because she got him from one of her kids for mother's day for PROTECTION!

I am a neighbor's worst nightmare because I am so much more aware now.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I totally understand. I wouldn't be able to turn a blind eye to it either. I live in Ohio and in PA there's a non profit group called Dogs Deserve Better that works to stop the chaining/ignoring of dogs. Google it and look for info on what to do in your situation. They will send out anonymous letters to owners of chained/penned dogs asking to let the dogs in the house with the family. Sometimes they even will take a dog if the owner voluntarily gives them up rather than continue chaining their dog. So the dog has a chance to be adopted into a loving inclusive home.

It's Dogs Deserve Better: No Chained Dogs!

I don't know how far is her reach but I think they have reps all over the country. I do agree that the lady must be gotten to understand how dangerous it is for dogs that are always chained/penned/ignored - both for the dogs and for anything that comes into the dogs small territory.

I will pray for you and for the dog that something good comes of this.:praying

:ghug3

We had a dog for two months last year whose entire life had been chained in a driveway to a broken down garage. When he got loose he ended up at our house and we ended up adopting him and spoiling him rotten. He got sick and died two months later, from his chronic malnourishment and ill treatment, but at least his last two months of life were in 'dog heaven' in our home.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Least and Anna. I'm going to give her today to get back with me and like I said, I'll call her if she doesn't call me. She is a sweet elderly woman and I believe its mostly ignorance on her half, but if it turns into stubborness well that's a new story. People in New Mexico think differently about animals then where I've lived previously. The horse rescue ranch I work at just proves it. Our baby colt we saved has a court date this week. The owners hired an attorney and are trying to get her back. She was found in the front yard laying down while dogs were biting her. The sheriff that found her thought she was dead until he saw her eyes move. Now that was pretty heartbreaking and its insane for the owners to think of even trying to get her back. They have a lot of you know what, but there is a chance they could win. If I dwell on this subject too much I can really get down.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I will ask God's protection of the colt too!:praying
Old 07-13-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is a sad situation... Actually it makes my blood boil!!!

I would not hesitate to call animal control, Joseph deserves better than this neglectful treatment.

I am glad that you are wittness to this Horsie - not because I want to see you hurting - but because you can do something about it.

One more reson to stay sober - we no longer turn a blind eye to the things that make us uncomfortable.

Keep us posted!
tm
Old 07-13-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just now read the post about the abused horse - this is beyond terrible. Recently, here in Colorado there was an entire ranch of horses being neglected and not fed. I think a couple of them were even dead. (can't really remember the particulars). When things upset me to much - after awhile my mind blocks them out.

I wont tell you what I think about people that abuse children and animals - it might get me kicked off this recovery forum.

I'm praying for Joseph and the colt.
tm
Old 07-13-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I admire your determination Horselover, and thank goodness that poor dog has you to look out for him.

It's interesting because I can work with women who live on the street and I can handle it just fine, but, I tried volunteering at a no-kill cat shelter and I thought I would die. I had a horrible panic attack and had to leave. I was completely overwhelmed that there were many hundreds of cats kept in this warehouse, safe and fed, but to live like that for the rest of their lives. The only answer is spaying and neutering.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am an avid animnal lover. I have tears in my eyes from your post. You are being more patient and understanding of the neighbor than I am. Her age and ignorance is no excuse. Makes me wonder what church she was a minister of. If I had this situation I would have called ten minutes ago. Where I live is a no chain law and curfew for animals being left outside at night. I have called on a neighbor before for leaving three dogs chained to a doghouse and left out all night. Animal control was there and it never occured again. We would not tolerate this treatment to a child why should it be tolerated of an animal. My heart goes out to you and Joseph. Thank God Joseph and the horses have someone like you looking out for them. Stay in sobriey!
Old 07-13-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Horselover, I'm so glad you started this in spite of the horrible circumstances. First, it reminds us of how important it is to remain "conscious", not anesthetized against life's problems. Oh, how much easier to just close the drapes and take a few sips of something - lived like that for so long, never again. Reality can hurt at times, but we're here to help and rescue when we can, be it animals or people. I'm so proud of you for remaining sober. Second, it gives us a chance to rant about animal abuse and share what we can do about it. I for one can't sleep at night hearing about some of these cases, but I need to get more involved & not just stick my head in the sand. Maybe I'll grow strong enough to do something to help.

Least, I had heard a little about that organization - thanks for posting about it. I hope to get up the courage to look at it. Nothing gets accomplished when we're too afraid or squeamish to find out the facts. Horselover, we'll be anxiously waiting to find out what happens. Wish we could actually do something other than listen. Love, Joanie
Old 07-13-2008, 10:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Boy, this really upsets me about the dog. I think people that leave dogs outside should not have them. I think the owners should try the chain around their neck for a day.

My dog has a super long tie out only because my last boxer was hit by a car. This dog sleeps with me at night. And spends most of her time in the house or car with us.

Ya know I have always had fish, reptiles an so on. One time I went to jail and felt like a caged pet. Surrounded by glass and people feeding me. I vowed to never have pets in a aquariem again. People laugh when they here this. I do have bearded dragons now but let them out of the cage.

Yes, I do worry so about mistreated animals
Old 07-13-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I am speechless, there isn't much that makes me more upset than people abusing animals!!!! I just don't get it, prayers are with you.

Cathy
Old 07-13-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Joseph is a living creature who very much deserves to have a good hearted person like you looking out for him. Three years ago I rescued a dog named Twiggy from a very similar situation. I just showed up at their house, told them it looked like they had their hands full (they had a bunch of dogs) and basically told them I'd take her which they were receptive to. And just like Joseph she didn't want to let me anywhere near her. The poor thing just cowered everytime we approached her. I didn't hire a trainer. I just loved her even when she didn't want to be loved. I sang to her a lot (yeah crazy, I know, but it really calmed her down). I would approach her very carefully and not interact with her beyond a point she felt comfortable with. We had three other dogs and yes you are right, that helped a lot because with her own species she felt more comfortable. But now, three years of unconditional love and tons of attention and room to roam , she's a totally different dog. Loving, happy, grateful, secure. She has developed a sassy, pushy little personality but that's ok, she's a hoot. It took about six months initially for her to feel comfortable around us. It's been very gratifying to see the improvement in her personality and confidence level. If you can rescue him, or at least get him to a place where he can be comfortable (even if it is a shelter) then you will really make a difference in his life.

Our situation was a little differnet because we don't have a young child in the house, as you already know, exercise extreme caution if you end up taking Joseph. Twiggy did not trust children for a long time but now she loves them, however we did have a few very uncomfortable moments with my nephew and Twig when he'd come to visit, after we first got her. She adores children now.

It's not necessarily easy to teach a dog how to trust people but it's extremely rewarding. If you take him, let me know if you have any questions about how to deal with him. Good luck!!
FD
Old 07-13-2008, 11:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

maybe you could go over and simply spend some time w the little pooch
sometimes that is all someone/thing needs to heal and learn to trust again (people too)
possibly some treats and a kind word with loads of praise for him
then when some trust is established you could have the dog inside your home and spoil him rotten! !!! lol
but you probably already know this as you are a horse lover !
- Best
~frst
Old 07-13-2008, 11:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I added the picture of the lovely Ms. Twiggy on my profile pic. As you can see, she's not so Twiggy anymore but she's safe and happy.

I call her Piggy, but my husband says that's mean. It can be very gratifying to save/improve a dog's life.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No wonder the dog doesn't trust humans......how much more degraded can the poor thing get. I hope you are either able to take it or someone else can, who actually wants it. It would be nice for him to have some sort of life.
I had a collie years ago that I found in the paper. He was a really clean, beautiful dog - and I couldn't figure out why he was petrified of steps (I'm assuming the old owners threw him down them a time or two) when you'd call his name he'd run to the corner (sometimes peeing on the floor - just from his name being called) he was scared of everything. I took him to the vet for a check up, and they said they couldn't believe the damage done to his insides. He had bones that had healed the wrong way, ones you could tell were once broken and fractures still healing.
It took a lot of work, but eventually he took to my daughter, well before trusting me. She had to hold the leash while we walked him, she had to throw the ball to him, had to sit in the backseat of the car with him if we went somewhere, and he slept with her. eventually he came around to me too -
Sport passed away 5 years ago, but I'm glad we were able to provide him with some sort of life before he went.
You are not the neighbor from he** H.Lover. Those are the people who turn a blind eye and allows this stuff to continue.
I don't get why some people get animals, if you don't like them, dont get them. I wish the laws were stricter for animal abuse.

You are a wonderful person for trying to help - and I'm sure you'll be able to. and Thank God there's still people like you left. I hope it all works out.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Ok, Horselove a new law went into effect in NM in 2000. Animal cruelty is now punishable by a 1500 fine for each citation and up 18 months in jail, and believe it or not it is being enforced.

Also please know, that a call to Animal Control does not mean they will release your name, and cannot release your name if you request to remain anonymous.

In all likelihood they will first TRY and educate her since you say the dog is well fed and watered. If that does not work they will pick up the dog and evaluate it whether it can be re-homed or not.

Your care and concern is wonderful, but please remember, not all dogs can be rehabilitated,

The dog was very abused from its last owners and does not trust people.
and a dog like that would definitely not be good around your young one. I say this from working with many canines, breeding, showing, and raising malamutes, and being a foster for wolves and wolf hybrids over the years.

If she does not respond to you, I would suggest Animal Control as the next step.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 07-13-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
"Meow. No, I am not a pup!

Thank God Joseph has you there for him. And that you are sober and not hiding behind the curtains.

I do house checks for retired greyhounds and so far have been lucky to find everyone planning fabulous lives for their dog.

All teary reading this post...while dogs under duvet by feet and cat sitting on her throne having sucessfully woken me at 6am for breakfast.

51 Anna, Carrie the cat spent (I think) her first 3 years in a no-kill shelter but she has been Queen Carrie for the last six years in my/her home.

Pup(andCat)Mum
Old 07-13-2008, 12:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober since 9th May 2008

Your asking " What would you do ? "

Unfortunately I probably know what I'd do, I'd take the cowardly approach and try to avoid confrontation if at all possible.

That is not right though and I think you've had some great advice from people a lot braver than myself.

Ironically, a few weeks back when drunk I'd have probably steamed over to save the doggy whereas you say when drunk you'd have shut the curtains, guess it effects us all differently.

Hope you do whatever is right for both yourself and the dog.