Notices

I have noticed something

Old 07-12-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I have noticed something

Without my internet..Lots of TV...So I was thinking. And I have also noticed. especially in the past not even decade.
There is a whole lot of stuff out regarding addiction and recovery.
I dont remember ever seeing it as much as I do now..Not only on tv..But just everywhere.
Everyday I see some sort of program on tv about addiction.

Now My quuestion is...
Is addiciton on the rise?
Or is it just more acceptable.
Because ..I am sure everyone can agree that it was such a hush hush thing not too long ago. Even more so back when my parents and grandparents were young.
But to me almost seems like its turning into a regular thing. More accepted. And when I say that. I mean more accepted as in..an addict is viewed more as having a medical condition. Rather than just some loser you should be ashamed of.
Any thoughts?
Old 07-12-2008, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've noticed a lot of stuff about addiction, too. I think part of it is that people are so much more aware of it these days.

I also agree that more of the focus is on that it IS a medical condition that needs treatment. Most of what I've seen is pretty educational. I know a lot of people watch "intervention" but I don't watch it anymore because seeing someone light a crack pipe is not something I need to watch!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-12-2008, 01:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I have also noticed that I dont watch those programs for the using parts anymore.
I am eager to hear about the recovery and the whoile facts and education of it all.
Where before I would only watch the using parts.
Thats what a sick twisted addict does I guess.
I hate the using parts. And yes..I agree about intervention. I cant watch it anymore either.
That show has sent me over the edge a few times.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hear similar things about the news "we are having so many tornados this year!". Bullcrap. What we have is 200+ TV channels plus the internet bringing it to your living room instantly.

The day after Nixon resigned, the "other" news on the front page was about a 7.+ earthquake in Indonesia 2 DAYS PRIOR TO THAT! If a 7+ earthquake happened today, even in Antarctica, it would be all over every news channel in minutes.

Same thing with addiction, there is not any more addiction, theres just more of it on TV, internet, etc.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Addicition, alcoholism, substance abuse problems, and rehab, are all much more out in the open now, I think.

People don't even blink an eye anymore when rehab is mentioned. People also realize that the disease affects all levels of society now too, it doesn't just affect skid-row junkies & bums. People (including myself) used to think only gutter-trash were 'addicts'.

And I'm with you, Chiy, I am fascinated by the recovery parts of the shows and articles.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

With so many famous people going to rehab these days-I think we are more aware of it, yes.That said, I don't know if it's on the rise-I tend to think as you mentioned earlier, it's that our generation are less covert about it too.

My parent's generation were so into hiding things-if you got pregnant and were unwed you would 'go for a stay in the country'(where you'd have the baby then adopt it out) for example.A lot of addiction problems back then weren't treated effectively either-people were put into mental institutions instead.Maybe now, the medical profession knows more too about dealing with it appropriately.It does seemed to be talked about more and there are many anti drug programmes in our schools these days for example.

I do believe as a society our perception as a whole has changed though.As tommyk said-we don't assume an alcoholic is a homeless person drinking out of a brown paper bag on the street.Most of us know someone who is addicted to something.I don't know if that means we're kinder/more compassionate as a result-but I hope so.

Interesting to ponder tho.Thanks chiy!
Old 07-12-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

thoughtful questions indeed. nice one Chi,

yes, i think overall addictions are on the increase all around the world, with the using of drugs, internet, social nets, and underground movements, and the use of throw-away consumables. i think our societies are getting hooked on instant gratification products, entertainments, and services of all sorts and kinds.

with the rise of all that comes the systems to make it workable, and a whole new economy to satisfy the future and daily users of the "new information world" of instant-on instant-use we are all creating.

everybody talks about addictions now -- not just to drugs -- and the whole idea of what is an addiction, what is recovery, is constantly being updated worldwide as more information, experiences, and consumer products become available. its become fashionable to struggle with addictions, and less shameful to openly declare and take ownership.

hahaha. its all good, i think. the days of ignorance are gathering behind us and the days of promise are leading us into strong new freedoms from the sad and tragic addictions of the many changing faces of us. imo

oh yeah.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I too think there is a lot more focus on addiction as a disease and not a moral failing. Also the rise of the internet as a news medium means that more people learn about addiction and the problems that it brings, as well as ways of treating it, than ever before.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Smile

Addiction is based on the same forces that keep humanity alive - the basic reward center in our brain that allows us to look for food and sex. The first instance the future addict picks up a drink or drug, that choice is voluntary. If they have a biological predisposition and/or childhood traumas and/or a current stressful living situation, it is almost too late. The addiction has already begun. It's a brain disease, often compared to diabetes. Just like the diabetic still "relapses" by eating a double-chocolate donut with sprinkles every now and then, the same often happens for addicts, even those in recovery and rehab programs. Only in the past ten years or so has research supported the compulsivity of addiction. It is important to not leave the addict powerless over their addiction though, WANTING to stop, IMAGINING you can stop, KNOWING the steps to take, TAKING them and HAVING SUPPORT are all key components. It's complex. And we're finally getting credit for how hard it is to go through. There are a lot of good programs out there, and raising awareness of its prevalence is GRRRReat!

"Addiction: A whole new view" on the Psychology Today website is an awesome article