Yoga

Old 07-11-2008, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
gns

Yoga

I just wanted to share how therapeutic this has been for me.

There are lots of different types (fast and furious, slow and hold, and gentle), so I think different types may work for different people - but for codies like me, who think (stupid thoughts) too much it is such a great way to center and tap into my emotional side in a healthy way.

Maybe it is just anything physical.

Does this work for anyone else?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
gns

P.S. the classes are a great way to meet a lot of relatively healthy people too, I think, to help with loneliness
Old 07-12-2008, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

gns
Absolutely! Yoga clears my mind and helps to keep me centered. I had a wonderful instructor who had to move though. I miss her. She was simply the best. I would recommend Yoga to any who needed to find peace......even if it's just for an hour.
hugs
Old 07-12-2008, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

as a yoga teacher, it warms my heart to see another person making the beautiful connection to yoga.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My yoga teacher turned out to be an alcohol abuse counselor in her day job! I didn't know it until the last few weeks I was there. I haven't found my yoga "home" in my new digs yet.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
gns

What kind of yoga do you do or teach?

I am still new and learning. I like anusara, and gentle flow, I am not a huge fan of power yoga or hot yoga - too hard!
Old 07-12-2008, 04:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I started out years ago in the 70s and taught myself with Richard Hittleman's book - 28 days or something like that - have been using his three sequences ever since. A few years ago I started with some Iyengar classes - wow, what a revelation! Really taught me so much. Then when I moved I started with the flow classes which I loved. For now, I'm back to good old Richard Hittleman with some variations based on things my teachers have shown me - and am waiting for my next teacher to appear!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

gns
The class I was taking was referred to as Bliss Yoga. It was very gentle and focused on meditation and slow stretching movements and postures. It was indeed blissful. I can't do power-type yoga--too hard. I have a hot yoga (Bikram) class right in my business complex.....but I pass out if I get too hot (low blood pressure) so I haven't tried it.

I'm still in search of a class that makes me feel as wonderful as my last class. My instructor moved to CA to be with her ailing mother. Maybe she'll move back here again some day. That would be nice. But in the meantime, I'm still searching.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
gns

Good luck finding the right class RosieM,

Kindeyes, you are my kind of yoga girl!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My practice has also evolved alot over the past 25 years. I originally got trained in Kripalu yoga, which is a gentle compassionate form of Hatha Yoga. After that, I stayed with Pattabhi Jois and learned Astanga, or Classical Raja Yoga...otherwise known as "power" yoga which most hot yogas and flow styles derive from. After getting the strong practice going, I certified in Iyengar, which really takes the focus inward to alignment.

Then I got older and wiser, and have been integrating restorative, gentle, healing meditations designed to support internal openings primarily, less focused on outer form.

Bliss yoga, anusara...all of these lineage originators are friends of mine who have influenced my practice greatly. I used to run a huge CA yoga center and had the blessing of meeting/sharing practice with many masters.

Indeed, we live in interesting times!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

miss communicat......will you be my yoga instructor? Please?

gns--I wish you weren't so far away!
Old 07-13-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
miss communicat......will you be my yoga instructor? Please?

gns--I wish you weren't so far away!
sure! we will hold you in our circle.
the teachings are zinging their way right now over to you!
Old 07-13-2008, 09:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm a total newbie at Yoga. I started at the direction of my doctors, cuz I have a bad heart that responds poorly to stress. Being an extreme "type A" personality I find yoga _extremely difficult_. But I do it anyway cuz I know it's good for me.

I have no idea what "type" I'm doing, or what "school" and don't even think of asking me the names of the poses and movement. I just do what I'm told and you know what? It actually works. And yes, it has helped me in a whole lot more ways than just my body. It really helps settle my mind and is _wonderful_ when the old pump starts to sputter and hurts like a *******

Mike
Old 07-13-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post
I'm a total newbie at Yoga. I started at the direction of my doctors, cuz I have a bad heart that responds poorly to stress. Being an extreme "type A" personality I find yoga _extremely difficult_. But I do it anyway cuz I know it's good for me.

I have no idea what "type" I'm doing, or what "school" and don't even think of asking me the names of the poses and movement. I just do what I'm told and you know what? It actually works. And yes, it has helped me in a whole lot more ways than just my body. It really helps settle my mind and is _wonderful_ when the old pump starts to sputter and hurts like a *******

Mike
Old 07-13-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Anyone have any suggestions on what type of yoga is good for beginners or how to find a yoga class?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Barbara52 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions on what type of yoga is good for beginners or how to find a yoga class?
a great place to start is to get referrals from people you respect and trust. I often check out health food store bulletin boards, AND ask someone who works there or even some friendly looking person also looking the bulletins over, to see what they have heard about the local yoga scene.

Typically, yoga offered in a gym or health club setting, while the teacher may be stellar, is less than optimal because the space is not a dedicated yoga studio. A space itself, the vibe and the enviornment, contribute quite a bit to the capacity to deepen one's practice. Gyms often are over air-conditioned (a no-no in relaxation), noisy, distracting and too focused on the "workout" (physical aspects) of the practice.

I suggest finding a real yoga studio if you can.

A studio will be the best place to discuss your individual needs, condition and how to place yourself. A beginner needs to start at...well, the beginning. In the body, that means you will want a gentle, slower paced practice with ample time devoted to joint mobilization and stretching prior to strength practices. In the mental level, you will need to learn the link between the breath, the power in the breath, and how to sit still in meditation.

I am a beginner every day...lol!

The "names" or "styles" of yoga that may suit a beginner include: Kripalu, Hatha, Anusara, Restorative, Integral, gentle, Svaroopa, Iyengar 1, Gentle Vinyasa....

Good luck and feel free to pm me if I can help youi more directly.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks mis comunicat. There are a couple of yoga studios in my area. I'll have to check them out.