horrible day

Old 07-11-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy horrible day

My bf and I broke up Tuesday. He was talking funny Monday night and I knew it meant he was high. He had the track marks to prove it. He also stole $200 cash from me that I needed to deposit in the bank so checks wouldn't bounce. He denied it...tried to blame it on someone @ work. I didn't believe him. I came home from work and he admitted that it was him who had taken the money. I broke up with him and dropped him off at his parents. This happened once before, around the holidays when he relapsed.

Thursday I go to the back and deposit $300 of my paycheck into my checking account. It came back that I had a balance of $148...which was not right at all. Come to find out that he stole a book of checks from my desk in my home office. He wrote 9 checks that went through, draining my checking account. I have no idea how I am going to pay my bills this month. The girls @ the bank were very helpful, made copies of everything and I had to go to 3 different police stations to press charges. At the last one, the detective called him, he answered, had a little chat and admitted to his crimes. Instead of being arrested he has to go give a statement and then go to court. They are willing to help him because he has no record. They said something about helping him get into a program. I guess thats good for him.

He calls me last night and says he is so very sorry. That he loves me very much and that it wasn't his fault. The drugs made him do it and that he turns into a monster when he is high and doesn't care about anyone but himself and getting his next fix. He said that this time it was worse because its his 3rd relapse after re-hab. He wants to get help, but has no health insurance. I hope, for his sake that he can get into a program with the cops help.

What a mess. We just moved into a new place. He got laid off from his job...and relapsed. Life was amazing...now its a huge nightmare that I wish would just go away. He wanted to know if there was a chance after he gets clean if we could get back together. I am trying so hard to say no. I don't need or deserve this in my life. He begged me not to tell his parents he stole money from me if they call and ask.

The thing is...I don't know if he wants to be clean. He says he does. he has been to detox a few times and a really good re-hab this time last year, but he can't stay clean. He can go 90 Days and get that key tag and then he just looses it. We have been though this 2 times now. This last time around he didn't get a sponser. He doesn't share @ meetings , he just sits there. I guess its good he goes but he needs to be doing everything he can if he really wants it. He was taking suboxone, which seemed to help him but then he couldn't get any and he said he was going to get sick if he didn't get any cause he was taking them for so long. He even started shooting them...which i don't understand.

All of this made me feel like wanting to just shoot myself yesterday. I love him so much. He stole so much from me and broke my heart and now he's sorry. I don't know what to say, I don't know what to do. I am very bitter and hurt and sad, ect. Everyday is an emotional roller coaster for me.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nobody can get better unless they want to. The police can do their best to help YOU, but they can't help the person using drugs.

From my experience, addicts are very good with words. However they aren't good at all with actions, and you know that actions speak louder than words. Please remember that you are the person that you need to take care of - not anybody else. People talk about the addict having to 'hit bottom', and I think the co-dependant person has to also hit their bottom as well before they can make themselves better. I hope that you take this as a lesson and start thinking about yourself. I've been in a similar situation to you, and nobody who cares about you so little should be able to have so much power over your emotions.

I can't tell you what to do, but please be strong and take care of yourself!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like he's got some depression issues that are making his addiction even worse, especially if something like losing his job is going to motivate him to get back into the drugs. It stinks that he has no insurance, but there are programs out there that can still help some. I bet that there is a salvation army branch somewhere near you, and that particular organization is great about working with addicts. I bet, too, that if you went to a naranon meeting near you, you could find others who might know of even more resources.

I am so glad that you had the courage to file charges. You don't deserve to be a victim of his addiction. In fact, whether you go to naranon to find resources for him, I hope you will still go for yourself. Don't get me wrong; we love being able to support each other here, and this is a vital part of recovery for all of us... but face to face interaction can be just as beneficial in certain aspects.

I hope you don't allow yourself to feel bad for him in this. Yes, he is sick. He has a very deadly disease, called addiction. But the thing about addiction is that the loved ones involved cannot treat the addict the same way we treat someone with another disease. The more he thinks you're still going to be around, the less reason he has to really straighten up. He'll change when the pain of being addicted is worse than the fear of living drug free, but not a minute beforehand.

I'm so sorry that you've been pulled into this. Just make sure you stick your grounds and always put yourself first.

*hugs and prayers*
Old 07-11-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

I'm so sorry for you - I've been there, and it is confusing and crazy making.

I was taught:

Look at what they do - not what they say.

There is no magic to staying clean - "if you want what they have, you do what they do" - go to daily meetings, get a sponsor, help others.

Often, I wanted recovery for the addicts in my life more than they did. And that never works.

How do you know when an addict is lying - when their mouth is moving.

But there is hope for us. That's what our recovery is about.

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler
Old 07-11-2008, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jody Hepler View Post
:
How do you know when an addict is lying - when their mouth is moving.
Love in recovery,Jody Hepler
I think I am going to have this put on a bumper sticker.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
krhea75

You are so young. Do you want to be dealing with this for the rest of your life? Maybe he will get clean, maybe he won't. Your presence won't make a difference. It's up to him. But do you want a front row seat to all this? My addict is my son and sometimes I wish I could move away from him. Not so easy when you are a mom. But you have options, choices. one thing i've learned is that the heart is an amazing muscle. You can learn to love again and again and again if need be. IMHO, sorry if this sounds too preachy.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so sorry that you are going through this. Maybe if you took some space from you AB it would give you some time for yourself and to figure out what steps to take next. I'm sure you love him and I know how much this hurts, but don't let the addiction take over YOUR life. There is so much chaos and manipulation involved that at times it's hard to think straight. I hope things get better for you. Hugs
Old 07-11-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alaia,
SO sorry that you are feeling desperate and frustrated, caused by your xabf who is "in his disease". I'm in a similar situation...my abf is now in rehab again (doesn't think I know...he just "disappeared" 2 wks ago) and found out thru a 3rd party that he doesn't want me to see him or know he's there. He is talkin crap about me too.
Hurts so bad.
All the folks posting are right...thoug we co-d partners are in denial of the truth.....
I'm including this quote from "Former Doormat" in the Fr/Family of Alcoholics Forum, talking about how we GF's of the ABF tend to see what we want to see in our guys...rather than what is really there.
Thought I'd share. Hope this helps...I found it very enlightening.
Hugs,
Rivka

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"But he has such potential." "When he's not drinking he's the sweetest, kindest, gentlest man I know." These are phrases I hear often on SR and two I used for many years until I was able to chip away my layers of denial and see my situation for what it really was.

In his book, "The Gift of Fear," Gavin DeBecker addressed this issue in a way I thought might be useful to others on this forum, so I'll share it here:

One of the most common errors in selecting a boyfriend or spouse is basing the prediction on potential. This is actually predicting what certain elements might add up to in some different context: He isn't working now, but he could be really successful. He's going to be a great artist--of course he can't paint under present circumstances. He's a little edgy and aggressive these days, but that's just until he gets settled.

Listen to the words: isn't working; can't paint; is aggressive. What a person is doing now is the context for successful predictions, and marrying a man on the basis of potential, or for that matter hiring an employee solely on the basis of potential, is a sure way to interfere with intiution. That's because the focus on potential carries our imagination to how things might be or could be and away from how they are now.

Spousal abuse is comitted by people who are with remarkable frequency described by their victims as having been "the sweetest, the gentlest, the kindest, the most attentive," etc. Indeed, many were all of these things during the selection process and often still are--between violent incidents.

But even though these men are frequently kind and gentle in the beginning, there are always warning signs. Victims, however, may not always choose to detect them. I made these points on a recent television interview, and a young woman called in and said, "You're wrong, there's no way you can tell when a man will turn out to be violent. It just happens out of no where." She went on to describe how her ex-husband, an avid collector of weapons, became possessive immediately after her marriage, made her account for all of her time, didn't allow her to have a car, and frequently displayed jealously.

Could these things be warning signs?

In continuing her description of this awful man, she said, "His first wife died as a result of beatings he gave her."

Could that have been a warning sign? But people don't see the signs, maybe because our process of falling in love is in large measure the process of choosing not to see faults, and that requires some denial. This denial is doubtless necessary in a culture that glorifies the kind of romance that leads young couples to rush to get married in spite of all the reasons they shouldn't, and fifty-year-old men to follow what is euphemistically called their hearts into relationships with their young secretaries and out of relationships with their middle-aged wives. This is, frankly, the kind of romance that leads to more failed relationships than successful ones.

The issue of selection and choice brings to mind the important work of psychologist Nathaniel Branden, author of "Honoring the Self." He tells of the woman who says: "I have the worst luck with men. Over and over again, I find myself in these relationships with men who are abusive. I just have the worst luck." Luck has very little to do with it, because the glaringly common characteristic of each of this woman's relationships is her. My observations about selection are offered to enlighten victims, not to blame them, for I don't believe that violence is a fair penality for bad choices. But I do believe they are choices.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your advice, words, comfort. I hate being in this situation. He tried to get into detox, they had an opening today, but they wouldn't take him because he didn't have anything in his system. He has been trying to get a bed for a few days, they had one available today...so pretty much they are telling him he has to have drugs in his system to go. That just sounds crazy. he needs help, he doesn't have insurance and they won't take him. He is looking into programs, i hope he really is doing what he says. He wants to prove to me that he really wants to get clean and stay clean...but he could be lying. He said he wanted to stay clean last time too, though.

I have no problem being on my own, it just stinks. I am 30. I wanted to get married someday and maybe have a family. It's not possible with him though, and I see it. We wouldn't be able to have any kind of life. I would always be worrying when he might relapse and steal from me again. I know what I ened to do, I just hope i am strong enough to follow through with it.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The thing with detox is that it is really for people who are trying to get the drugs out of their system. If he does not have drugs in his system, he needs to be going to rehab instead. Most rehab facilities have their own doctors, and if his withdrawal got to be a problem while he is there, they could help him.

I am so glad that you are looking at things with an objective, clear mind. You are obviously very strong, probably much more than you give yourself credit for. I can tell because you have made it through so much already and you are still thinking clearly enough to look ahead.

The thing is, he needs to be getting help for HIM, not for anyone else. If he's doing this to prove to you that he wants to get clean, he'll start using again the minute you two argue. And that is no way for either one of you to live...

You can do this. We're all behind you.

*hugs and prayers*
Old 07-12-2008, 11:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lady is right. Detox = get the stuff out of your system, which takes 3-7 days typically. If he is not in acute withdrawal they should never let him in detox, even if he wants to pay cash money.

Rehab is usually the 3-12 weeks after detox. You learn about abuse, triggers, evaluate your personal health issues, start with a recovery model such as AA or NA. After rehab hes on his own to continue AA/NA, and do what he has to do to stay sober.

Post Acute Withdrawal can occur anytime after acute withdrawal up to over a year of sobriety.

Keep posting and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

you may love him but how much are you willing to let him steal from you? your life??? that is what addicts do, steal your life little by little. you did right by pressing charges. maybe this will b his bottom. i am sorry he has done this & has hurt you so bad.prayers,
Old 07-12-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Lady is right. Detox = get the stuff out of your system, which takes 3-7 days typically. If he is not in acute withdrawal they should never let him in detox, even if he wants to pay cash money.

Rehab is usually the 3-12 weeks after detox. You learn about abuse, triggers, evaluate your personal health issues, start with a recovery model such as AA or NA. After rehab hes on his own to continue AA/NA, and do what he has to do to stay sober.

Post Acute Withdrawal can occur anytime after acute withdrawal up to over a year of sobriety.

Keep posting and let us know how it goes.
Thanks, I didn't know what the difference was. He's been to re-hab before, about this time last year actually. He wants and needs help. So hopefully he will get into some kind of re-hab and he also wants to go into a sober house, which I think will be really good for him. maybe he can finally get past the 90 days, without the relapse. He has gone 90 days sober twice now, and relapsed shortly after, each time.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

He tried to get into detox, they had an opening today, but they wouldn't take him because he didn't have anything in his system.
He doesn't need detox as the others have said. As far as having no insurance, if he is really serious about recovery, he can call The Salvation Army. True they may not have a program in your city, but if he is serious they will even trasnsport him to the nearest city that does have a program and an open space. Oh and btw The Salvation Army program is a GREAT program and IT'S FREE.

So, I think it's time for you to go to some Alanon and/or Naranon meetings and get some help for YOU. Learn when he is "Manipulating" and when he isn't. Learn how to set your own boundaries and stick to them.

No one can give the addict and/or alkie help until the they are ready to help themselves and really really want recovery.

Time for you to take care of YOU.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 07-13-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
He doesn't need detox as the others have said. As far as having no insurance, if he is really serious about recovery, he can call The Salvation Army. True they may not have a program in your city, but if he is serious they will even trasnsport him to the nearest city that does have a program and an open space. Oh and btw The Salvation Army program is a GREAT program and IT'S FREE.

So, I think it's time for you to go to some Alanon and/or Naranon meetings and get some help for YOU. Learn when he is "Manipulating" and when he isn't. Learn how to set your own boundaries and stick to them.
I told him about the Salvation Army program. He is still trying to get into detox. He wants to go to detox cause he thinks he will have better luck getting into a long-term program if he's been to detox. He said he used on Thursday, which makes me wonder why they didn't take him Saturday morning? He's taking sub's cause he has no more money. I really hope he doesn't steal from his parents. I almost feel like calling his mom and telling her that he stole cash and forged 9 checks. If I call her, he gets kicked out of the house. He made me promise not to tell her if she calls me.

The other big problem is he has a 9yr old son. The mother of his son (the ex) is using as well. What kind of life is that for him? I feel horrible for this child. it makes me want to call DSS and report it, because maybe the child would be better of in foster care where he will get the care and attention he needs. My bf parents don't seem to care, I don't know if they know she is using as well. I don't think they would take him though cause they have their own 8yr old to attend to. Both of their older sons are using and they let them stay @ their house with no jobs or anything. I guess it's different if your a mother.

I wish this nightmare would come to an end. I don't want to be responsible for wrecking a family, but no one else is standing up for this child. He dsoen't know whats going on, or maybe he does.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I wish there was naranon meeting near me. The closest one is over an hour away.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
krhea75

Wow, that's a tricky call about the child. My first inclination is to call DCFs, but I don't know the situation. How about you. How are you doing? Are you taking care of you.
krhea
Old 07-14-2008, 01:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well, he went into a detox today. I am glad he's getting help. I talked to the mother of his son, she's getting help and going to meetings. So I feel better that the child is not in danger.

He took $ and I didn't know how to pay rent...except I remembered my security deposit should be comming, that was until my old landlord called and said she had I never gave her notice and she didn't know I was moving, which is total BS. I called and left her 3 messages @ her home, and she never calls me back about anything, so when I didn't hear from her I wasn't surprised. My current landlord called her twice for references. I also left 2 messages @ her husbands office. There is no way this woman could not know I was moving. So now she is trying to keep my money, money that I need to pay the rent cause my abf cleaned me out. I am really at my wits end. I was the best tennets they ever had and this is how i am treated. ughhhh
Old 07-14-2008, 01:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Awww honey - you have had a rough couple of days!!! Today ABF is in detox and you don't have to worry about him stealing from you, whether or not he's going to use some bad stuff, overdose, come home or lie to you. Tonight you rest. I don't know how spiritual you are but when the same thing happened to me - I found God quick and life was doable. I lost alot but gained alot too. I just opened the Bible and looked for passages on foregiveness (cause I didn't think I had any), judgment (I had too much of that), marriage (relationships), honesty and love. It was a starting point for me and because I found my smile in all of this, I knew it was the right thing for me.

Take a breath. Take a bubble bath and Thank God for getting you through this day.

Keep us posted.

:ghug3
Old 07-15-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So I got a message from a family friend saying abf mother wants to get ahold of me. I knew it was going to come sooner or later. What she is going to hear from me is going to break her heart. I can't lie to her, like he has asked me to do.