Notices

How can...

Old 07-10-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How can...

How can someone who has been out of my life for almost 8 months make me feel as bad as I do now? I am not not drinking, but have received several emails from the ex-idiot today. I told him that I am trying to work the 12 steps and want him to go away. I am trying so hard to stay sober and he is going to f*&^ this all up. I know at some point I have to forgive him, but that is gonna be really hard. I was so happy today, and this is just pulling me down. I am trying to stay on here and just keep writing.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it will be ok flgrl....you can stay sober regardless of anyone! just focus on your recovery:ghug2
Old 07-10-2008, 07:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

flgirl,

Can you block his email address?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"I am trying so hard to stay sober and he is going to f*&^ this all up."

You can hate me for saying this, but he can't f*&^ 'this' up, only you can.

No one can f*&^ up your sobriety for you.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

re maybe set the timer on the microwave

flgirl,

i'm no expert on anything....I'm only 6 days sober .....but once this guy I loved so much I thought I'd stop breathing, he walked out on me even though we were engaged....i thought he actually walked on water, CMU graduate, loads of charm, you name it..it felt like my heart was ripped out..so some how I figured out this little trick..instead of calling him or wailing like a broken bird, I'd set the timer on the microwave. 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 4 minutes. up to 30 minute times increments....I stood infront of the microwave like a mad woman!!! my then 4 year old kid must have thought I was nutz..but some how I got through it..so maybe you could set the timer & fill in the blanks..not feel bad, not drink, not blame yourself, not react? not answer emails? idk....just trying to be useful, now that I drank my gatoraid

I'm praying :ghug2
Old 07-10-2008, 07:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

tommy,

I know only I can screw this up. I am ok for now.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am just so angry right now.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

FLGRL,

Don't respond to him, ever... worked for my soon to be ex-wife!

John
Old 07-10-2008, 08:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

re; reacting to our emotions

Wow John,

That was well said. I'm not going to AA but I am seeing a therapist weekly. The past two hour long sessions have focused on "reacting" reacting to our loved ones, stressors, thoughts, emotions, reacting to people who push my buttons!!! ....easier said than done..but I think you hit the nail right on the head.

Stay strong flgrl, stay free...from the madness

Oh and it that doesn't work, you can always pound on the MIcROWavE!!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 09:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am just trying so hard
Old 07-10-2008, 09:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

flgirl U are my Buddy, & U always Been there 4r me, I'm pretty sure U
read my last threads, last weekend on the 4th of July
How I let my husband steel 5- month, & I was suppose
to make 6 month,on 7-9-008 so U S^^ is not worth it.

I have 2 star all over, & it hurts like a B@@ch
man, I understood that no one could steel our
peace of mind, or sobriety, But ourselves I agree with
tommyK , we are our worse enemies not our ex-s
or sibling's It Stars with us & it ends with us
so don't let someone thats been gone for almost already 8- month
take or have that much power over U

Old 07-10-2008, 09:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Hey Florida. Suit up and put you game face onl! Don't let this weasel screw with you. You are strong and you are better than that. Put yourself way above that petty nonsense and overcome this bump in your road.

After all - you are the Princess....... Nah. Screw that. you are the bad -ss that ain't gonna put up with this crap anymore!!!!!! Now get your head in the game.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lots of people can 'make you feel bad'-if you let them.

Your sobriety is up to you.I'm not being harsh-it's just that this is such a huge lesson I've learnt recently.S*it happens-often to us.How we deal with it is the measure of who we are.We can be victims forever if we choose to be-god knows I have a whole lot of reasons to sit here-bemoan my fate-feel sorry for myself and ultimately-drink.Like I did not too long ago.

But the reality is-it's BS.Everyone here has a reason/excuse to drink/use.We're choosing not to.And while I understand your pain-you have the same choice I do.Don't pick up.No one has that power over you unless you let them.I believe you're better than that.

*hugs*

Julesxox
Old 07-11-2008, 01:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've had a few bad *weeks* lately.
I've gotten to the end of my tether more than once and thought of drinking.
But that's the old me, old behaviours...

sometimes life sucks, sometimes people do....

all I can do is make sure I'm the best shape I can be to face whatever comes at me
For me - that means being good and true to myself, facing up to stuff, taking responsibilty for myself and...living sober, no matter what.

There's no badness a drink won't make worse.
D
Old 07-11-2008, 03:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flgirl View Post
I am just trying so hard
Flgirl,

Remember step 1 - we are powerless. Powerless over others as well as our own addictions. Give up the fight, if you are trying so hard you have forgotten step 1 IMHO.

Hang in there, this too shall pass.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

we all have buttons...

flgirl, dont you let um push um!
Old 07-11-2008, 04:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Flgirl: not sure if this will make sense, but I am finding it easier to just love these people rather than forgive them--at least for starters. I just think, okay I am going to love this person, so now I can go about my own business.

Loving an ex doesn't mean seeing them or replying to their email. In fact, for me, it is just the opposite. Since I can love (care for who they are) them, I can ignore these acts on their part which are either a ploy to get my attention or an attempt to "get even" with me.

What is becoming more and more clear to me is that we were drawn together by our acute neediness--which was a recipe for disaster. Knowing this is part of my recovery, loving them as people who need to be loved is part of my recovery, and separating myself from the drama which we used to participate in is another step in this recovery process.

Its a bit like dealing with an unruly child: just love them and ignore the behavior.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Flgirl- It sounds to me that this guy was out of your life for sometime. I would just keep moving forward as if he is still out of your life. I liked the suggestions of blocking his email and never responding to him.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Boy oh boy is this familiar. My ex (we broke up ten years ago) is also hateful with me. He doesn't email me but is so antagonistic. He raises a fuss over anything I do with the kids, but since he's not the full time parent he hasn't got a leg to stand on.

I know it's hard to ignore someone who seems hell bent on making your life miserable, but ignore them you must. Put yourself and your recovery first. You must take care of YOU!!

sending lots of love and hugs your way!:ghug3:ghug3:ghug3
Old 07-11-2008, 09:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Originally Posted by flgirl View Post
How can someone who has been out of my life for almost 8 months make me feel as bad as I do now? I am not not drinking, but have received several emails from the ex-idiot today. I told him that I am trying to work the 12 steps and want him to go away. I am trying so hard to stay sober and he is going to f*&^ this all up. I know at some point I have to forgive him, but that is gonna be really hard. I was so happy today, and this is just pulling me down. I am trying to stay on here and just keep writing.
He can't "make" you feel bad, unless you let him. Ignore his emails! Don't even open them! If you can't block them, delete as soon as possible! And, for goodness sake, don't respond, even to tell him "to go away"...this is what he wants...to get a reaction from you. Don't feed into his BS...be strong...if you need extra strength, lean on us!

You can do it...we all believe you can...now, you have to believe it, too. Eventually, hopefully sooner than later, he'll get the message and move on to try to make someone else's life miserable.