OT: OMG... Just about passed out!!!

Old 07-10-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: OMG... Just about passed out!!!

So, my hubby left for work at about 8:50 this morning. I rolled over in bed, kissed him goodbye, and told him to have a nice day, etc.... went right back to sleep (hey, I'm on summer break, and not a morning person. Surprised? lol).

At 9:20, I was awakened to a horrible sound. Our security alarm was going off. Unfortunately, our only keypad is downstairs, and I was upstairs, not about to go running down there, in case someone was in the house. Not knowing what else to do, I locked the bedroom door and called 911. I could hardly keep myself calm enough to talk to the operator and tell her what was going on; I literally felt myself hyperventilate. The operator was so nice; she stayed on the phone with me until the police arrived, which, by the way, took MAYBE 3-4 minutes tops, which is not bad, considering that we're on the other side of town.

Finally, the police came, and rang the doorbell. I led him inside, only to discover that it was, in fact, our garage door, which tends to get knocked open if it is not shut securely. So, no real danger or security threat.

I was so embarrassed!!! I mean, I don't know what else I could have done... what if there had really been a problem, and I went flying down there unarmed?

Oh, and to add insult to injury, remember me saying that my husband is a probation officer??? Well, he works very closely with the city PD, so I'm sure the officer knows whose wife I am lol...

So, my heart rate is slowly returning to normal... and I have told my husband that from now on, that door will be locked. He will have to use his keys to get in for lunch. May sound silly, but I refuse to have to call the cops every day like that.

Sorry. Hand to vent.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad that everything is okay and that the police were so quick to respond. One good thing that you now know is that if it were a true crisis that help will come quickly and that you can handle it. I remember one time years ago something similar happened to me. My husband leaves before sun up for work and after he left my daughter who was young at the time joined me in bed. As I was laying there trying to go back to sleep I heard snoring. It sounded like it was coming from under my window. I was terrified and called my husband who called the police. The police came about a half an hour later and by that time it was light enough to see outside. What I saw was someone passed out and snoring across the street from my house. It turned out to be someone who was drunk and passed out. It is funny now, but at the time it was scary. Hugs, Marle
Old 07-10-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
grateful rca

hey lady, glad everything work out. better safe than sorry, i think.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lady,
I'm glad it wasn't anything real serious. But want to thank you for the laugh. I know it was not funny at the time but you put a smile on my face today. I really needed it.
I also had an alarm system, and one day came home from running errands with the kids to find 4 state troopers cars in my drive, almost wet myself. The alarm was going off, gave the trooper my key to go in, and turns out my puppy chewed the wires near the window for the alarm and set it off. He was hiding under the sofa in a room I had blocked off. I almost passed out but now laugh at it. (He weighed all of 3 lbs at the time).
Hugs coming to you, enjoy your summer break.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you're safe. I worked for 17 years as a 911 police dispatcher - that's what the police are there for. Glad you called and waited for help.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

When I was dating my now exH, he was a fireman and I lived in an apartment nearby one of the fire stations. I turned on the light in my apartment and the lightbulb exploded and spewed out a bunch of smoke.

I called 911, sure my apartment was on fire.

It took me YEARS to live down the fact that I had called 3 strong fireman over to change a lightbulb... and he often heard someone say "hey wasn't it YOUR wife who called us to change the bulbs?"
Old 07-10-2008, 11:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

just be glad everything was ok. do that again if necessary.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Catspajamas,

LOL... that sounds like something I would do!!! Thanks for reminding me that I'm not the only one who's done something like that.