Notices

need some friends

Old 07-08-2008, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy need some friends

Have been feeling like i am losing my mind. On my second day 2 in two weeks. Was making some great changes and then slipped into the "holiday weekend." Am stressed out as I am preparing for a major life/career change of entering into grad school in Fall 2009, but first have to take entrance exam and... I am very lonely. All of my friends seem emotionally distant and unavailable and my partner can only be so supportive. I just need some words of comfort and encouragement along the path. :praying
Old 07-08-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Try to learn from the experience of slipping into the holiday weekend mode, and then move forward. You don't need to do another Day 2! I come here to SR because this is a place where people really 'get it' and it's hard for friends and family to understand.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey maybe, You can do it, Grad School is no easy road to follow, Stay focused and overcome your obstacles..

Heavy
Old 07-08-2008, 11:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Need some friends, you say?

Well... you've sure come to the right place. This place can provide you with friends 24x7.

Now, just think, if you apply yourself to grad school with the same tenacity and perseverance you did with using, you will excel.

(That's what a psychiatrist told me, and she was RIGHT.)
Old 07-08-2008, 12:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Me, me , me! I'll be your friend. :ghug3
Seriously this is a great place for support any time that you need to talk.
You are going to feel a ton better after you shake off the holiday partying.
Get to work girl! You can do it!!!
Old 07-08-2008, 12:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
where the light is

I took a quick look at your earlier threads and see that you have tried AA. Once you start seeing familiar faces, chatting with others, & developing a network, the support & encouragement will be there 24/7. I did this and I never feel alone.

Perhaps your friends "seem emotionally distant and unavailable" because they simply do not understand alcoholism. My wife is very supportive but there are things that she just cannot understand (I'm actually very grateful for this, that she is not an alcoholic).

Your "major life/career change" is truly something that you should be excited about. Hard work but so rewarding. The learning experience in itself will be worth it.

We have a young lady that participates in our meetings that just hit her 2 year sobriety anniversary. She is going to college this fall. It can be done!
Old 07-08-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! Some days are tough. This is a great place for me to come on the good and bad days. Focus on today!

Good Luck!

Old 07-08-2008, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

maybe~there are lots of good people here, so thanks for sharing. If peeps are putting up with me, well, they have to be kind (lol).

School really helped me to stay sober. I proved that my mind could still stretch and reach, I developed new skills I didn't know (remember) that I had, I felt a sense of achievement and growth, I met new people, and, best of all, it took my mind off of drinking/using. One of the classes I took really changed my life and my way of looking at the world and it still has impact to this day.

I am sorry about your friends. It is sad (and surprising) that many people are so scared of being vulnerable emotionally---for me, it would be way more difficult to jump out of a plane or something-lol. But, don't feel bad-you are changing your life. You are doing great.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
contemplating

Cool Looking for company as well...

Hey

I know how you feel..im new to the idea of "quitting" and none of my friends are supportive...they all think its okay to be plastered, miss work, make bad decisions-etc. I think i am going to be alone a lot to get through this...im not a fan of AA or that stuff..

Just curious...if you read this, what are you going to school for? I am taking the GRE in two weeks..I plan to attend in fall 2009 if i can get into a program! Best of luck to you...