Does anyone know...?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wanting a new life

Does anyone know...?

Does anyone know anything about fentanyl pain patches? I recently found out my ABF is doing them again and I'm really freaked out.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would be freaked out too. What do you want to know? They are particularly dangerous when used in a non-prescribed fashion. I'd google them to get the full skinny on them. Probably the easiest way to get information. In light of this, my concerns are for you. Are you in a safe and secure environment? Is your living situation/finances separate and apart from your ABF's? Are you taking care of yourself? There is nothing that you can do to change his desires or behavior....no amount of love is going to help him stop using. No pleas, no tears, no rationale. I know that you love him and care for him (otherwise he wouldn't be ABF) but the stark reality is that he is using a potent and very addictive drug. There are alot of overdoses in people that use that patch illegally. It's a scary thing. It's meant to be used as a patch and addicts somehow are able to figure out a way to inject the drug. Truly, at this point, my worries are for you and how you are managing to care for yourself. Are children involved? Prayers and thoughts are with you.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Some addicts I know eat them. They can't wait for the transdermal to kick in so they chew on them and get a few days worth in one shot.

Fentanyl is powerful stuff, synthetic, and many times stronger than natural opiates.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Wanting a new life

I'm not sure what I want to know...I guess I just want to know about them in general. What do they do? What are they intended to be used for? Are these a new thing because I've never heard of anyone using them before. I'm pretty sure he is chewing on them or sucking out the gel, but I can't be for sure because he obviously won't do it in front of me. I just know that these are extremely dangerous and it terrifies me that he is using them. He was taking them at the lake over the 4th of July and it was pretty embarassing because he was really out of it. he kept slurring his words and couldn't even keep his eyes open. We live together and I keep finding these clear plastics strips around the house, particularly in the bathroom, and I think they are the covers to those patches. I'm doing ok, as well as one could be doing while loving/living with an addict. We don't have any children and our finances are separate...well mostly because he doesn't have any finances. He doesn't work so basically everything is mine. I think I'm going to attend an NA meeting tonight because I need some different type of suuport. My friends and family cannot relate to me on this and quite frankly they are sicking of hearing abut it.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Fentanyl patches are a transdermal narcotic used for pain management. Folks get them prescribed after surgery or for chronic pain, etc.

The effect is like any opiate - vicodin, percacet, oxycontin, etc. It's a synthetic form that's made in a lab. Think of a nicotine patch, but with heroin basically. The idea (when used properly) is that you get a consistent, low dose of narcotic over a longer period of time.

They've been around for several years, not sure how long exactly. Since it's a narcotic, I'm sure folks have been abusing them since their creation.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Nikki,
Fentanyl patches are SO dangerous! There have been many deaths. my sister OD'd on a patch and all she did was get in a very hot shower. The shower released all the patch at once and she was out. Take care of you.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nikki.... everything that Lightseeker has said is right on. I'd also post in the SA forum (if you haven't done so already) to ask more about it. I just recently learned that the gel can be put in a nasal spray bottle and squirted as well.

My guy is an opiate addict and he snorted it that way, but didn't get the high that he was wanting so he didn't do it very much.

Is this a relapse?

I'm so sorry you are going through this..... once you have found out the information you are seeking.... please please please think about yourself and if you want to still go down a road with you ABF while in active addiction. There is nothing that you can do or say that is going to make him stop. I know all too well how upsetting it all is. Going to an NA meeting is a really good idea....

(((hugs))))
Old 07-10-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

my boyfriend would eat them.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My daughter ate them too. Said they gave her a really intense high. Not something to take lightly. Hugs, Marle
Old 07-10-2008, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This scares the hell out of me, I have never even heard of this. I use icy hot patches (over the counter) all the time for arthritis. I guess these are safe?
Old 07-10-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

might wanna talk to your ABF about this...its pretty serious if hes eating the patches already. I am a former junky as well and used to chew the 1600mcg fetanyl lollipops all the time. Its a very very potent opiod, probably 2nd strongest on the Opiate//Opiod Ladder. The only stronger high than eating the fetanyl patches or lolli's is mainlining heroin and god knows you dont want to be around when the fetanyl loses its effect and he moves on.

Best advice i can give is sit him down and really express how his actions are effecting you and tell him you want him to stop doing them(not only will it be better for your relationship with him, overall he will feel much better when off them for a few weeks). If he says "i can handle it" or "your making a mountain out of a molehill i just like getting high every once in a while" or something along those lines, get rid of him. Nothing worse than dealing with an active junky(trust me on this one!!!)

Be safe and let us know how it goes ~~
Old 07-10-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Icy Hot patches are fine.

I'm a recovering opiate addict and I overdosed and died on Fentynyl. I chewed a few, passed out and one got stuck in my throat. I'm not going to go in great detail but I work up in the Emergency Room over a year ago.

I am alive and clean and sober today. I am greatful every day for my life.