Worried about my Mom

Old 07-06-2008, 08:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Worried about my Mom

I know that worry won't change anything but I can't seem to help myself tonight. This week my mother had what I believe were two heart events. Perhaps not full-fledged heart attacks but more warning signs. Regardless of what they were, I have a terrible, uneasy feeling.

My sister called me on Tuesday. She said my mother got sick that afternoon at church. She said she felt queazy, dizzy, and broke out in a cold sweat. Those symptoms were quite similar to the symptoms I experienced when I had a life-threatening episode of atrial fibrillation so I was more concerned than my sister. That plus the fact that I had noticed that my mother's ankles were seriously swollen at my niece's graduation party the weekend before made me really uncomfortable.

So, I called my mom Tuesday evening and expressed my concerned and urged her to see a doctor. She said she'd just been to the doctor and all seemed OK. So I relaxed a bit.

Fast forward to this evening. I just got off the phone with my brother. He took my mother out to breakfast this morning and she got sick again. Same symptoms as Tuesday. Again she wouldn't go to the doctor. Instead she chose to go home and sleep it off. My brother had his wife (who's a doctor) call to check on mom. She believes that mom had two heart events (perhaps just warning signs, too) but something significant nonetheless. She got my mother to agree to see the doctor. I'd feel better if mom went to the emergency room. But it's not my call to make. It's mom's. And she doesn't seem overly motivated to do anything about it.

I know worrying won't accomplish anything but I just can't seem to turn it off. In the four years since I've joined this forum I've lost my grandmother, my father, my boyfriend, my uncle, my aunt, and even my little dog. I'm not ready to lose my mother yet. I still need her. No matter how old I get, I still need my mother. But I know God may have other plans for her. I just hope and pray that those plans are on hold for, say, another 25 years. She's only 73 years old. All I want is a little more time with my mom. Is that too much to ask?
Old 07-06-2008, 09:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

FD not to much to ask sweets!

Sending you a lot of loving prayers your way to Mom, you and your family.

And you know that is true what you said "worrying is not going to accomplish" however
try not to beat yourself up over doing so at the moment. What you have gone through is probably why you are feeling this way...so feel it then start to send those positive brain waves through to your heart. Let go and Let God....

If she agreed to go to the doctor maybe see if you guys can make the appointment ASAP like tomorrow...

Keep us posted FD ((((HUGS)))))
Old 07-06-2008, 09:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Try your best to get some rest, FD. It's good that she's agreed to go to the doctor....they will be able to tell you for sure if your fears are well-founded. Keep us posted --
Hugs,
GL
Old 07-06-2008, 09:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry you are going through this FD. I will keep you and your mom in my prayers. I don't know what I would do with my mom either.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
When Pigs Fly

My friend, I am sorry you must worrie so. As you know my Mom has had many ups and downs with differnt things this year so I know that feeling you are having. Just keep your faith, and know God will do what is right. My prayers are with you, your mom, and brother and sister.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((FD)))

Sending prayers your mother's way, sweetie......
Old 07-06-2008, 10:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey FD--
:praying for your mom's health & your peace of mind....
B.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Curled up in a good book...

(((FD)))
I don't know how I would cope without my mum either. Sending you and your mum positive thoughts and wishes.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((FD))

Sending you and your mom many hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-07-2008, 04:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Hoping all is well for your mum FD,

prayers going out to you all

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 07-07-2008, 04:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((FD))))

Prayers going out for your mom. Maybe she is a little afraid to find out what is going on.

Bless her heart Dear Lord.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you, everyone, for the prayers and good thoughts. I'm going to take the advice I've offered to others on this forum and let go of worry since it won't accomplish anything. Instead I took action and offered to take mom to the doctor today.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I pary you find a bit of peace and freedom from worry. I pray your mother takes action to help herself.

{hugs}
Old 07-07-2008, 06:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Keep us posted on your Mom FDM. I'm very close to my Mom too.....she is one of dearest friends. I'm sending positive energy and prayers your Mom's way!

gentle hugs
Old 07-07-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi FD- I hope you are feeling better today. If you manage to get your mom to the dr. I hope that you get some answers too. No matter how hard we try to let things go, worrying abut the health of someone we love is hard not to do. You and your mom are in my prayers. (((((Take care)))))
Old 07-07-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

(((FD)))

Prayers going out to you and your mother. I'm sorry you have this worry.

(I'm glad your brother is near her and SIL is a doctor,too.)

My mom has been gone 21 years and I still miss her;but I still can "hear" her advice and encouragement. Part of me is "glad" that she and MIL did not have to witness the mess our family has become. (Neither were A's,but many of the others still here,are.)

Hoping you keep us posted about how you are both doing.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh..FD, I will keep you both in my prayers, I hope things are OK, I know with just recently losing my Dad, I would be so upset if my Mom would get sick now too...keep us posted!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
cmc

Prayers going our for your mom and for you too. I'm sorry to hear she's having problems and hoping for some good news after her check up.

:praying
Old 07-07-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

i lost my mom two years ago (ironically on my birthday) and still miss her so much. i hope you will be able to get some answers on her health because knowing is much easier to deal with than not knowing.

i'm so sorry for all the loss you have had in recent years. i read your posts and they are helpful to me, wish i could offer some comfort to you.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well, my sister managed to convince my mom to make an appointment to see the doctor today. Don't know if she's seen the doctor yet, but I'll update you as soon as I get any news. Thank you all for your prayers and support. I did manage to let go of my worry today. I went out and ran some errands, then stopped at Home Depot and picked up some plants to fill in some bare spots in my front garden.

As soon as I got home, I went right to work and planted them all. Then I touched up the lawn with some weed killer. I got a Netflix in the mail today, so my daughter and I plan to sit down and watch a good scary movie tonight. I won't have to cook dinner tonight. I cooked the last three days and the fridge is stocked with plenty of good left overs. All I have to do is zap something in the microwave.

Letting go and letting God was hard to do, but I managed to do so today. Keeping myself occupied really helped.