Notices

Finding your strength

Old 07-06-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
getting there

Finding your strength

It sounds like a lot of us here struggle to cope with everyday stress after quitting alcohol or drugs. I personally have a lot of anxiety (whether related to the drinking or not) and feel that I overreact to things that "normal" people would take in stride or know how to handle. I think the source is a terrible fear that I won't know what to do in a given situation and will a) look stupid, or b) cause harm to someone/something due to my incompetence. Does anybody else feel like this?

I've recently started some meds and set up counseling to help me work through this, but I wondered if anyone here had insight on how they have found inner strength or learned how to cope with life again during sobriety.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have enormous stress every day, due to being unemployed and still struggling to kick the bottle. I can't offer you my solutions cause I don't have any. Being dual diagnosed with mental illness and addiction to alcohol makes it very hard. But I would like to hear of the solutions of anyone else who's managed to kick the bottle and live without drinking.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i didn't fight to defeat,

I surrendered to accept,

take care and I hope you will find your strenght!
Old 07-06-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If anyone requires meds and or counseling to move
into a new life of health and peace...certainly do
whatever is suggested by your doctor.

I have found that I do not.
I use God and the AA 12 Steps
with excellent results.

For my emotional balance ....

The Serenity Prayer

"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I can not change
the courage to change the things I can
and the wisdom to know the difference"

I also have a mantra....for perspective

"How important is it?"

Blessings
Old 07-06-2008, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Stopping the Train...

Location: Sevierville, TN - in the valley of the Great Smoky Mountains
"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I can not change
the courage to change the things I can
and the wisdom to know the difference"

I'm needing to memorize this one. I've got incredible anxiety, too. Mostly due to ACCEPTING my addiction and now trying to learn how to deal with it. I've never been faced with just dealing with it and how to live with it in an honest life and it's a pretty overwhelming aspect. When one has thoughts of being in control for so long...and then having the rug pulled out from under...it kinda sux and leaves one a little breathless. I've had a lot of feelings about that come to the surface.

I'm not choosing to go with other medications to kill the anxiety. Not until I give NA a good try. The thought of more meds in my midst kind of make me wary right now. I'm just seeking an HP and finding a program that will work for me. The anxiety will just have to sit there like a hijacker that won't go away knocking in my chest. I am embracing it. Letting it take it's ride. I am in defiance of it. It will not win. I have enough knocking at my door than this emotion trying to be a bully, too. I will deal with it in time. Meditation has been suggested...and before I lay down tonight...I plan on trying something. Not sure what yet. A calming CD, just breathing, thoughts of what I have to be thankful for. It'll come to me...:-)
Old 07-06-2008, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Colagirl,

I had struggled with anxiety for yeas before I started drinking and I still deal with now. What has helped me a lot is learning to hear my inner voice, my soul. I had drowned out that voice with all kinds of negative chatter and it was hard to remember and believe that it was still there. But, if you be quiet with yourself, you will hear the voice that will guide you and give you the confidence to know that you are doing the right thing.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

colagirl~
I am certainly not one to give advice on being normal....
Anxiety is tough. I have had to develop a second voice in my head to calm myself down sometimes. Really, if you can teach yourself to self-soothe, rather than self-medicate, you are on the right track. For me, it is all about slowing things down and enjoying the little things in life that bring peace of mind. Things that have helped: eating good food that I cooked for myself, taking a walk, sitting in a bookstore, taking photos...whatever brings you a sense of self-accomplishment or fulfillment. Sorry if this sounds trite. I know some people need meds, therapy, etc., and I don't take that lightly. But at the end of the day, we are still just facing ourselves. People may or may not judge us no matter how hard we try. And I don't think that many people are "normal" anyway!
Old 07-06-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
getting there

Thanks for the replies everyone. I hope I won't need the meds long-term... they definitely are not the whole answer. I'd like to be more like the person I used to be, someone who saw life as a challenge rather than a series of struggles to somehow get through. I'm not sure what happened to that person, but I really, really want to find her again.

Steamvessel - I lreally ike the idea that the act of living is what makes us stronger.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Doctors prescribed anti-anxiety medications for me.

I started attending NA meetings.

I started doing the 12 steps.

I tapered myself off of the anti-anxiety medications BEFORE they became a problem.

I thank my Higher Power every day for this miracle.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I gave myself a chance to overcome stress by gaining sobriety. I found that sobriety also meant that I could no longer drink my problems away (or so I thought that's what I was doing!)

By maintaining my sobriety, I was able to find my inner strength again! It'll come!!

Dave