11 days and counting

Old 07-09-2003, 11:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

11 days and counting

So, H gets out of the reco house soon...in 11 days to be exact. I posted last week about a conversation that he and I had on where he was going to go when he's out--home or on to a clean and sober house for a while. We both spoke up about our fears and apprehensions, and he ended up being angry with me for stating mine.

We didn't talk for a couple of days after that. I was confused about why he was having a hard time understanding that I might have the same concerns he has.

When we did talk again, he didn't want to talk about it again until we met with our counselor. I said that's fine but I am going to tell you right now that what I said I said out of love for you and our relationship. He looked at me and said he has hurt me so much that he fears I will give up on us. I told him that I am now reaching the point where I can honestly say I am thankful that we are where we are now b/c we can both begin healing and recovering.

Since then, I have seen him change again, he's relaxed around me, he's opening up more, he's inviting me to more AA meetings with him and he's acting more like he was when I first met him. He told me that every day he writes 3 things in his journal that he is thankful for: his wife, his children and his sobriety.

July 20th is our 2nd anniversary. He gets out the day after. I still don't know whether he will come home or whether he will go on to another place for a while, but I feel a new peace inside of me that I haven't felt in a long, long time.

We are going to go hiking in the mountains for 2 weeks at the end of this month. Just the two of us. We have made a pact that if at any time either one of us does not feel safe, we will leave immediately. I think this will be a good time for us to get to know each other again, I haven't seen him this excited for anything positive in a long time.

I have found a lot of strength here, and at f2f Alanon meetings, watched myself struggle through some really tough emotions, read so many posts of others who struggle with their own, others who are finding happiness again, and I think that it all has to be worth it somehow.

Hugs to you all, I find so much strength here from everyone who is dealing with this powerful addiction and I admire you all so much. We really are very strong, we have to be or we wouldn't have made it this long.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Rainy

Your story warmed my heart. None of us knows what the future may hold, but working our programs today will keep us safe and balanced. It sounds like both you and he are working good programs, and I think that taking time to decide what you would like for the future is healthy and wise.

I'm sending hugs and prayers to both of you.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((((((Rainy)))))))))

I'll tell you--I've sucked down so many tears before they fall, that they just don't fall all that often anymore, but your post brought tears to my eyes.

I'm so happy for you!

Hugs,
Lyn
Old 07-10-2003, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your post is very touching....I'll have y'all in my prayers.

Constant
Old 07-10-2003, 10:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind responses yet again, you brought tears to my eyes. I am so grateful to have found a place to share that what I say is not only accepted but understood.

HUGS