Update time and a little hope for others

Old 07-06-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Update time and a little hope for others

My daughter is starting her second month in the halfway house. She is doing well and each week she seems more like her old self (some of it still not good but she is working on that). I went to an AA meeting with her last night. It was the first time she went to a meeting here in the town in which she grew up and she was really nervous. When she saw a young person from her past there she wanted to leave but didn't. What really impressed me was how she got into the meeting once people started speaking. She really listened to the message. She is really firm in her resolve to change her life and I see progress weekly. We are still helping financially more than we should, but I told her that we would help her when she was ready and I am committed to that promise until the end of the month. Then she must decide what to do for her future. I know that is in the hands of her and her HP. I am just trying to enjoy the day that I am in and not worry forward. (Hard to do somedays.) Hope you all had a good 4th and don't give up hope. Our addicts can get better when they are ready. I know I never thought my daughter would leave the freeflowing drugs that her abf made available to her but she did. Hugs, Marle
Old 07-06-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

((marle))

All I can say is, your post just makes my heart all warm and fuzzy this morning, and the moisture in my eyes is a good thing.

Hugs and continued prayers for you both.

B
Old 07-06-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I am so happy for you and your daughter, Marle. I have been following your posts in that regard and it's just so wonderful to see that little light bulb go on over their heads. I pray that this is just the beginning of a wonderful clean life for your daughter, and the beginning of a calmer life for you. (((HUGS)))
Old 07-06-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i have been following your story since you joined. i know how hard it has been for you. i hope your daughter continues to grow in her recovery. there is hope for our addicts. stay in today.without hope there is nothing. hugs & continued prayers for you both.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is not all a bed of roses. Recovery brings a whole other set of issues and I am now trying to find my way. My daughter has never tried recovery for herself so this is all new to me. The biggest stress for me right now is that my husband has been out of work for almost a year and we are living as cheaply as possible, trying for the past year not to spend all of our savings. He did go to truck driving school and then broke a vertebrae and two ribs on the last week of school when he slipped and fell getting out of the truck. He is still in a great deal of pain and so did not take the driving job that he was offered. He was on Vicodin for his back and it would have been impossible for him to be in a truck 24 hours a day for 6 weeks while he was in training. His back is still giving him a lot of problems and he is trying to manage the pain with advil so that he can finally go on the road if need be. He has an interview for a golf course job in New York and so I am praying like crazy that it happens for him. I know that God will provide for us and maybe this accident happened so that he could be here to support me and Megan. It is a 3 hour drive in heavy traffic one way to pick her up and I am not good driving in traffic. I am a small town girl and hate the big city. So I have made my list of things to be grateful for and am trying to stay positive and just take life day by day. Hugs, Marle
Old 07-06-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

ah, Marle, thank you for the update, you know it is very uplifting to those of us whose children are still lost and i appreciate your sharing... I am so , so happy for you and your daughter...this is so hard-won for you both...as for the financial support, I would be doing same, as long as my child is committed the way Megan is..I have a lot of respect for her...continued prayers, , Grateful
Old 07-06-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

((Marle))

I'm so glad to hear Megan is working her recovery. I think it helps that she has just an awesome role model on how to live life (YOU).

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-06-2008, 08:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Marie!!! That is wonderful news! Recovery is a beautiful thing..... thank you so much for sharing. I believe it does bring hope to folks... and God works in crazy ways..... in the end it all really is a blessing!

Recovery is a new life that I am also in and for today... heck this morning.... it's a wonderful life!

Day by day....

PS.... I enjoy going with my s/o to meetings too... it's really so wonderful to see him taking an active part in HIS life!!!!!
Old 07-06-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

o my gosh, Marle, I'm sending big prayers for your husband, for his soon to be relief and for the job that is waiting for him..
Old 07-06-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

sending prayers for your husband too.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks for the update, and also for the update on your husband. Must be difficult being the only truly well one in the family right now, yet keeping appropriate boundaries and not insisting on controlling and saving everyone!!

I hope and pray that your daughter embraces recovery as I did at around her age (there were ups and downs and a few brief relapses over the years, but for the most part, I was sold on that way of life).

i do appreciate your sharing throughout the past year (since I've been around here) your steady, sane, day to day decision to keep it more about you than about her, but to keep hoping all the same.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Marle,
Hugs and prayers for your daughter and husband. Your courage is inspiring.
One day at a time.
: )
Rivka
Old 07-06-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

marle, because our daughters are close in age and their DOC are opiates, I've always followed your posts. Both of our daughters decided to move forward in life almost at the same time. You showed me detaching was possible and I know it helped my daughter because she told me that.

We are financing her recovery too and it sure isn't cheap, but we said the same thing: if you want help managing your disease we'll do what we can. She's doing well and I'm glad she chose a place out of state. It really is the best thing for both of us. We talk maybe once a week for a few minutes and it's just to exchange necessary information. We don't discuss her recovery or mine any more and I'm fine with that.

Last night I was thinking how she's still being self centered but in a good way. It's a four hour drive to see or get her but she's more interested in hanging out with her new friends. She likes it there that much and I'm grateful beyond words. Home, our small town, is still toxic for her at this point.

Anyway, thank you for showing me the way and giving me strength. I'm sending prayers back your way for you and your family
Old 07-06-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Ah Marle,
Thank you so much for the update, it really gives a heart hope when I hear you speak of how you're beginning to see your "real" daughter shine through.

Ad may I add, your recovery is a shining beacon for me, doing as you are, but not overstepping, and getting in the way of her recovery.

Hugs to you, sweetie.
You make my heart sing.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

great news marle, take care of yourself, ok? I know how hard that is when you have so much on your plate!!
Old 07-06-2008, 02:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So happy for you Marle and your daughters progress. I think we can all feel your happiness and joy and how proud you are of your daughter. ((((HUGS))))) There is always hope, it just takes time.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm so happy for you Marle! And happy for her too... I had no idea that she was in recovery (yes, it's been that long since we've talked much...).

You've always been such an inspiration for me; I'm so glad there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh Marle, I am so glad things are going well. I havn't stoped thinking of you both. Your daughter sounds like she truley is working it, yippeee!
Old 07-07-2008, 02:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

(((Marle)))

I didn't see the post about your husband before...sending you and him big hugs and prayers, too. I hope he can get a job close to home, and his pain eases up.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-07-2008, 02:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It just warms my heart to know your daughter is doing so well, she is in my prayers daily.

I just love a message of hope and your shining recovery and hers brings hope to all of us.

Hugs