Notices

Remembering

Old 07-05-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Remembering

Yesterday I hosted a 4th of July barbeque at my house. It was fun mostly. But seeing my niece and nephew get drunk was not fun and bought back alot of old memories of myself. My nephew was so drunk he couldn't walk straight, but insisted on driving himself home (about 20 miles). I think it was God's intervention when his tire went flat less than halfway down the street, and he had go home with my niece. My niece had a designated driver so she was Ok. I can remember so well the times I thought I was perfectly able to drive even though I could hardly fit the key in the ignition. God was with me so many times during my drinking career and I didn't even have sense enough to know it. My nephew made me remember that last night. Grateful Heart.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

All the those times I got behind the wheel, someone was with me too. I ended up with 3 DUI's, should've had about 20 more. I never thought I was impaired, told myself I was fine, I'd drive slow. One time I was leaving work (secretly drinking all day in my office) & was going to drive the 1/2 hr. home on mostly dark country roads. Somehow I drove into one of the large rocks that were lining the driveway of the hotel I worked at. I had a flat tire, but still drove out onto the highway - I "had" to get home.....fortunately, someone saw the flat tire I was trying to drive on and called the police, who stopped me from going any further. It was a nightmare, but at least I didn't end up in jail for life for vehicular homicide. One of many reasons to be thankful for our sobriety - thanks for the memory, Grateful Heart.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

One of many reasons to be thankful for our sobriety - thanks for the memory, Grateful Heart.
Ah, yes...it's so easy to forget...especially when things are going well. And then, something happens to jog the old memory...like seeing your nephew sloshed, but insisting he was OK to drive home...nothing so stubborn as a stubborn drunk!

I had my share of close calls, "way back when". One of the reasons I try to log onto SR regularly...to keep the memory green. New folks (and others) can remind me how bad it got, why I quit, why I went to AA, and what can happen if I don't remain forever diligent in protecting my hard-earned sobriety.

Thanks for another much-needed memory jogger!
Old 07-05-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Certified Scrabble Cheat!

Im glad that your nephew go a ride from a sober friend. This time.

NEXT TIME DO NOT LET HIM DRIVE DRUNK!!!!!! If something had happened - well, let's just be glad that it didn't.

And that statement goes for everyone here at SR.