To Celebrate The 4th Tomorrow

Old 07-03-2008, 06:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

To Celebrate The 4th Tomorrow

Now I know some of you think I am an OLD Fuddy Duddy and I am!!!!

I have been married to Military TWICE not once. I went through the Viet Nam War, got beat on by the cops in Chicago in '68 and a few more things.

But...................................I still lean a bit to the RIGHT.

Here's something to think about tomorrow when you are having your fun and eating your Hot Dogs and Hamburgers and Watching the Fireworks.

This is still THE BEST DAMN COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!!!!! AND OUR CITIZENS HAVE BEEN THROUGH HELL TO PROVE IT!!!! AND YES I MEAN OUR NATIVE AMERICAN CITIZENS TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

By the Way................................It's Elvis Singing, one of his best renditions I have ever heard.

(A Tribute to our Flag)

Read and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 07-03-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks Laurie. I've always loved the way Elvis did that song.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Laurie, for the reminder of what tomorrow is REALLY all about!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 07-04-2008, 01:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know about the best country in the world, but I'm biased and love my little island :-)

Too all of you from the USA (and you seem to be in the majority on here) have a greal July the 4th
Old 07-04-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Originally Posted by Sweetiepie1 View Post
I don't know about the best country in the world, but I'm biased and love my little island :-)
yeah me too!! I'd love to have your weather though!

Have a fab 4th july!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 07-04-2008, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lilyflower View Post
yeah me too!! I'd love to have your weather though!

Have a fab 4th july!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Not sure about the weather Lilyflower, I'm sure they get extremes, I'm happy with ours

Happy fourth to you all.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So if yours is the best country in the world, mine is less good? Well, thanks, lol.

Don't you think you were brought up with that propoganda because yours was/is a young a country so they needed to instill national pride to ensure social cohesion in such a big country?
Old 07-04-2008, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Heavens, Stone....to all of us everywhere, our own chosen country is the best one on earth. Especially on its birthday! Nationalist pride seems as normal as sunshine, all over the world. Wonderful excuse for a party, too

To my UK friends, I happen to love your soft weather, myself, but that is coming from a girl who is watching the thermometer climb close to three digits (F) today. Please send me some of those cooling breezes, sea air, and good beer (in moderation, of course) !! :ghug
Old 07-04-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didn't choose my country, I was just born here.

I like to think of myself as a child of the universe, lol.

I can undersatnd pride in your country though, I didn't mean to be a total arse. I also happen to like Americans, some of my best friends are Americans.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Stoney Pffffffffffffffft! Love ya babes

Thank you Laurie great reminder!

Happy Fourth!
Old 07-04-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Rella and Laurie happen to be two of my fave Americans.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Don't you think you were brought up with that propoganda because yours was/is a young a country so they needed to instill national pride to ensure social cohesion in such a big country?
First let me say that I understood your question and the vein in which it was meant. Maybe as a child of the late 40's and early 50's after WW II yes to a degree. But I did and do form my own opinions.

Also being 1/4 Native American, it has been a passion of mine for many many years to study our American History and not just how this country started....................getting away from Good Old King George, rofl and Mother England, but the trials and tribulations it has gone through over these last 232 years. What prices have been paid, etc.

Yes the good old US of A is my favorite country, it is the country of my birth, I have lost family and loved ones and dear friends in the fights that our Military has been in, some of them where I don't think we should have been involved, but will not go there today. Today I remember, the prices paid for the freedom I live in today.

My second favorite country, okay Stone hold onto your hat here, is Australia, roflmfao, another country that broke free of Mother England. Go figure, and I have absolutely nothing against England, honest, lol

I started this thread, because the 4th of July seems to have lost a lot of its meaning to many over these last 20 years or so and it's just become "another day to party."

In sobriety the true meaning of Independence Day has come back to me. I celebrated my first sober Independence Day 27 years ago, with just 3 weeks of sobriety, and OMG for the first time in 24 years I WAS FREE. FREE from the BONDAGE OF SELF. Finally FREE from Alcohol! So this holiday above all others, has become MOST IMPORTANT TO ME and I get just a 'wee bit' (yeah right, lmao) EMOTIONAL about it.

I know you happen to like Yanks Stone. I know you want to come here for a nice LONG visit. Who knows, you may even find some of the offshoots of your long deceased ancestors that came over here, hundreds of years ago, lol you never know.

We Americans have close ties and have kept close ties to England and to Australia and to Canada. And when you put those 4 countries together working side by side we can and could do much to help the rest of the world, if we all could get some decent leaders at the SAME TIME, lol

Not going to turn this into politics. But yes I am an American, and I am a Native American. No I don't like what was done to my Native American side of my family, but even some of that is FINALLY CHANGING.

Independence Day for this Alkie is a VERY IMPORTANT DAY. I hope it is for others as well.

Love and hugs,
Old 07-04-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Laurie you have inter-twined your nationalism with your recovery and the death of your loved ones. How can I possibly respond?
Old 07-04-2008, 02:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Happy 4th July ya all from Walesxxxxx

Mair
Old 07-04-2008, 03:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

This is one I play a lot on this day, and others also, but this day since 7/4/02 when it came it out:

This one won't 'imbed' so here's the url:

YouTube - Courtesy of the Red White and Blue (The Angry American)

Love and hugs,
Old 07-04-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

For you Laurie.

YouTube - Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - American Girl
Old 07-04-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wont embed for me either.