Notices

Getting Back on the Wagon

Old 07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Getting Back on the Wagon

Well I had a really bad last few days....and I'm back here today starting over agian. I really hate to say it but I caved into pressure, not sure what it was? I was not comfortable in my own skin. So I went off the deep end drinking heavy. As we all know here, drinking does not fix anything! Just makes you what to get away from who you are and hiding in the bottle! I stopped posting because I did not want to cause anyone else to break down. I am feeling better now just a bruised ego and lots of guilt (as always).

Hitchin' A Ride is a Green Day song about a struggle with an addiction since the lyrics are filled with alcohol terminology, this fits me to a T...("happy hour", "off the wagon"). The character of the song is describing his need for intoxication ("I need a break as well, the well that inebriates the guilt"), yet he wants to get back on the wagon because he realizes that alcohol is destroying his life.
The difficult battle of addiction is shown in the song through contrasting the need for a drink and the will to quit the addiction :-
("There's a drought at the fountain of youth and now I'm dehydrated")
("Troubled times, you know I cannot lie - I'm off the wagon and I'm hitchin' a ride"). The devil on one shoulder says "You need a fix", the angel on the other shoulder says "Hitch a ride out of this!".

Billie Joe Armstrong is said to have written this song in the early days of the band, when he had problems with alcohol addiction, which he now claims to be rid of.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qwx0v7Z4cMg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qwx0v7Z4cMg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 07-02-2008, 08:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you sharing again ...

Sooo..what is your plan?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back - please continue to share.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

great you made it back, ThisIsTheDay. you have a good start now, so keep on going and glad your here!
Old 07-03-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Good to see you sharing again ...

Sooo..what is your plan?
Thanks everyone!

Yes Carol, you are right I do need a plan...for the past 24 hours have been in deep thought on how to make it work. Long list of poeple to cut off, no bars and cannot think I can moderate (control) drink....just for a start. I think that old habbits (30 years) are hard to change, but can be done!
Old 07-03-2008, 04:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well...welcome back!

long time no talk
and of course it can be done, but it only is done if it's done. (sorry, seinfeld moment)
changes will be necessary, especially in the beginning, but if you're friends care about you at all, they'll understand. and if not - their loss. right? right.
take care of you........