Notices

4th of July Weekend

Old 07-02-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation 4th of July Weekend

I'm not worried, well thats a lie.....I know what festivities I am usually a part of come this time of year. It is full of good times, and usually a party that lasts all weekend long...I want to be able to enjoy myself, and not only enjoy myself because of drinking etc........I know that once I get started, I have trouble stopping......is anyone else in my shoes.............I know it is mind over matter and the choice is mine and mine alone........

JUDGE NOT FOR YOU SHALL BE JUDGED FIRST:codiepolice
Old 07-02-2008, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you think you could come up with a new activity for the weekend, one in a new place? Change really helps me to break old patterns: new place, new behavior.

I don't fool myself that I could actually move away and be a different person; however, a new site for play (going to a park for fireworks or an outdoor play in a different town or something like this) doesn't encourage me to fall back into old behavior.

For me right now, going to a party where people are drinking is out of the question: just can't do it...
Old 07-02-2008, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
Do you think you could come up with a new activity for the weekend, one in a new place? Change really helps me to break old patterns: new place, new behavior.
Perfect! I haven't been to my usual 4th Of July celebration since I sobered up. Instead my AA club has a BBQ, at night I'm going to take my GF out for dinner and maybe we'll catch some fireworks afterwards.

Over the weekend I plan on getting some chores done, playing paintball, staying cool in the pool, and relaxing if I have some free time.

Anything but picking up a drink. I have dozens of other choices I can make.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know this weekend will be tough for me as well. I suppose you could volunteer to be the designated driver, kinda takes the temptation away if others are depending upon you to be their safe ride home. Happy fourth!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"I know that once I get started, I have trouble stopping......is anyone else in my shoes............."

You are not alone. That's my problem exactly.

The good news is... I don't even have the desire to start, I have no energy for the consequences of drinking.

Those who may need some help from the temptation? Play the 'tape' all of the way through to the end, don't just imagine how good it would be to start drinking, imagine what happens after you start, imagine the next morning, imagine the consequences.