Notices

Success Breeds Success

Old 07-01-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Success Breeds Success

While working on my alcohol addiction, other problems have come to light. Here they are: I overeat and I overspend. These problems did not spring up once I put the bottle down. It's just that I have become aware of them because I've emerged from my drunk/hungover cycle of death and despair.

I can see my flawed self and with God's help, correct problems that I've neglected while drinking. I feel so blessed by this new awareness even though I know it will be a challenge to overcome my problems.

Fortunately, many parts of the plan I've used to stop drinking can help me reach success in other areas of my life. So here I am, at step one again, admitting that I have a problem. I am an overeater who spends too much money.

Liberty~
Old 07-01-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh yes, I think, for me alcoholism is a symptom of other problems.

I was a control freak extraordinaire. I tried to manage everything and everyone around me and it finally drove me crazy. Letting go was such a relief and the beginning of my recovery.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ive read many stories of people who quit drinking/using and discover other problems under the surface that they have to address now that they are sober. It is GREAT that you are learning more about yourself, and that you are taking steps to become a happier, more whole person. It might take a lot of work to get to where you want to be, but in the end i have no doubt that it will be totally worth it. Thanks for sharing this, your post has helped me.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
Oh yes, I think, for me alcoholism is a symptom of other problems.

I was a control freak extraordinaire. I tried to manage everything and everyone around me and it finally drove me crazy. Letting go was such a relief and the beginning of my recovery.

I never thought of alcoholism as being a symptom of other problems in my life. Thank you for sharing that idea. That is something I need to consider.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Good topic.

I had a psychiatrist in my first rehab tell me that I could excel & be VERY productive at anything I really put my mind to because I can 'obsess' over it and tune everything else out. She said it can be a blessing or a curse, my choice.

When I buy two pizzas, intending to save one for tomorrow, and I eat both of them in one sitting it reminds me of the 'curse' part.

So, I tend to 'over-everything' and I just have to be careful what I apply myself to. It's great for work and working out.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hannitized

"So, I tend to 'over-everything' and I just have to be careful what I apply myself to. It's great for work and working out."

With sobriety, part of what drives me is that "over-doing" aspect. It drives me. It is a compulsion...this desire to stay sober much as drinking, overeating, and spending were/are compulsive behaviors for me. Thanks for opening my eyes to this, Tommy K.

I will continue to try use my drive as a blessing not a curse.

I will not drink alcohol today. I will only eat when I am hungry. I will not spend to fill a void. I will turn to God to fill the emptiness in my life.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

LibertyDeath-This is a blessing that you are becoming aware of these things-

I know that cleaning up the path of destruction in my life has made me aware
of a lot of things that I need to change for me!

It is not easy however but,the strength that you have and shown
on these boards you can do this!

Remember Progress not perfection!

Awesome job!

And yup
Success Breeds Success
and everyday it get's brighter and better!
Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Agreed, i think we all share a bit of a common trait "Obsessiveness and/or addictiveness" Mine went in reverse order. First I spent too much and lived check to check, My wife put an end to that. Second I ate too much, Hypertension and Sleep Apneia led to Bariatric surgery which put an end to that. Third was drinking, Thankfully SR is helping to put an end to that. I find myself being more conscious of my decisions in all three regards. I'm hoping my next addiction will be to my exercising and my family..

Heavy