Notices

Codeine sucks

Old 06-27-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Codeine sucks

Hi there,

I have, for the last couple of years been taking codeine perscribed by my doctor for chronic headaches. I am now using 120mg at a time, up to 4 times a day. I cannot come off them as the withdrawal is unbearable (i tend to suffer mostly form the physical effects). I have told my doctor i am addicted to them and he just shrugs his shoulders and tells me to reduce the number i take, but even a reduction in dosage gives me a hard time.

Does anybody have any tips on anything that might make the withdrawal more comfortable? FYI i also take Lustral (anti-depressant), which i needed to get me off an addiction to Paxol (Seroxat) the "non-habit forming drug".......again dished out by my doc for 13 years. I also smoke cannabis, but have no wish or inclination to stop that as i enjoy it and it causes me no problems. I dont drink alcohol.

If anyone has gone through codeine withdrawal and knows of anything that made things a bit easier for them, please let me know. I know i have to get off these painkillers, tbh i dont even enjoy the "high" you get from them i like to feel in control, but i was so desperate with these headaches i would have taken anything to stop them. Now i think codiene just gives me headaches, i get terrible nightsweats and it is actually starting to effect me mentally in that i'm feeling a bit confused and agitated.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 06-27-2008, 11:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I think talking to your dr was a good idea and I think following his advice is probably the best thing to do. Of course, it won't be easy, but you can get through it.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"I have told my doctor i am addicted to them and he just shrugs his shoulders and tells me to reduce the number i take, but even a reduction in dosage gives me a hard time."

Hi Nerv, I am pretty shocked at the NERVE of your doctor to shrug this whole thing off. What excellent medical advice he gave you..criminy..of course a reduced dosage is going to give you a hard time because as you told him, you are addicted. I am so sorry he didn't pay more attention to what you were saying.

I used to take those things years ago after a car accident and I am well acquainted with the feelings of long term use v. stopping all together. Neither one is pleasant although I did eventually just stop taking them cold turkey. The best advice I could give you is to FIND A NEW DOCTOR as soon as you can. I know there has to be some out there who have experience with this sort of thing, I would think the internet would be a great resource for finding out something like that.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't have any advice for pain meds, but I'm sure you will get good feedback here, Welcome and thanks for reaching out...

Heavy..